On 3/21/19 5:45 PM, Rob van der Heij wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 16:04, Huckert, James A <james_a_huck...@homedepot.com>
wrote:

Does anyone know a way to install RHEL on a EC13 without using the HMC?
I thought there was a way to format a volume from z/OS 2.3 and lay down
the needed files and boot RedHat.

Due to security concerns we are not allowed physical access to our HMC's
nor insert any kind of media into them.
Any suggestions or links to documentation on possible ways around this
would be greatly appreciated.

There was, but it may not have been used in the previous two decades.
http://home.iae.nl/users/rvdheij/linuxipl.html
I suspect it might still work.

At least for the IPL installer part, that might be combined with

RHEL6
Preparing
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/installation_guide/s1-steps-hd-installs-s390
"Using a Prepared ..."
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/installation_guide/s1-s390-steps-boot

However, the ISO and install.img for the installer phases following the IPL
typically reside on a Linux filesystem and I have no idea if and how you could
create such under z/OS.

Not sure if this still works with RHEL7 as I could not find the preparation
documentation any more, just how to IPL from something that was already
prepared:
"Using a Prepared ..."
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/installation_guide/sect-installation-overview-s390

Alternatively, installation over network is an option, if you want to avoid
using HMC storage for IPL/install. This requires the preparation of some
reachable network server.

But doesn't somebody at least need to trigger an LPAR load on the HMC in any
case to IPL the installer?

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on IBM Z Development

https://www.ibm.com/privacy/us/en/
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Matthias Hartmann
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen