Hi Berry,
On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 08:47:25AM +0000, van Sleeuwen, Berry wrote:

> I didn't configure anything in pam. I added .ssh/authorized_keys for my user
> and then configured putty (pagent) to use my smartcard.

Ok... I am not sure how putty uses the smartcard and which configuration is
required on the SSH server side.

> But you do point me to the reason the login differs between ssh and
> iucvconn. The ssh login uses my stored .ssh/authorized_keys but when we use
> iucvconn we are outside ssh.

You are right.  iucvconn connects to the hvc terminal device (or iucvtty
instance).  It finally depends which "login" program runs on the terminal
to offer authentication.  In typical installations, this will be agetty
which a PAM service configuration for authentication, authorization, and
session management.

> So the question is what to configure to use this outside ssh? We have the
> authorized_keys available for the user but in some way this now should be
> used outside of ssh. Or should we use a different authentication method when
> connecting to iucv based terminals?

>From my perspective, check the the PAM configuration for the SSH server and
the common-auth* PAM configuration files in /etc/pam.d/.  For example, you
might have a look at pam-oath which handles OTP tokes for 2FA (never tried
that so far).

Thanks and kind regards,
  Hendrik

--
Hendrik Brueckner
brueck...@linux.ibm.com           | IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Matthias Hartmann
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen