On 5/31/19 6:47 AM, Michael MacIsaac wrote:
> Why?  Doing so will break scripts we have ...

Because they require maintenance, cause bug reports (such as Marcy's),
etc., etc. They're not going away tomorrow, but please plan ahead.

One of the complaints we hear is that "doing X on SLES for the mainframe
is different from how it's done on RHEL."  Red Hat hears the same, in
reverse. SUSE and Red Hat both approached IBM to ask them to write and
maintain a replacement set of tools for these sorts of scripts. That
way, the tools to perform persistent and transient configuration will be
the same across distributions. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing Ubuntu
for the mainframe is using them as well.

So, IBM came up the lszdev and chzdev utilities. To provide
compatibility, I modified the existing *_configure scripts to use them
instead of the previous logic. Moving forward, SUSE will be using the
lszdev and chzdev commands in our own tools where the *_configure
scripts have been used in the past. The linuxrc program to set up the
installation environment is already doing that.

The wrapper scripts were written solely as a means of translating the
old semantics into the ones required by IBM's commands. The lszdev and
chzdev commands provide a lot more functionality than the old
*_configure scripts did. There will be no changes to the *_configure
scripts unless there's a bug, or for some reason IBM changes the
parameters their commands accept or require.

If you set an environment variable of DEBUG to "yes", the *_configure
scripts will display the chzdev command that gets executed, as well as
actually executing it. Besides helping in debugging, this will allow
anyone wishing to get ahead of the curve to see exactly what command
needs to be executed to accomplish the same task as before.

The old scripts will not be removed from the SLES12 product. At this
point, we're not sure if they will be removed from future service pack
levels of SLES15 or not. They almost certainly will not be part of the
follow-on version after SLES15. (After what happened between SLES12 and
SLES15, I'm not going to even try and outguess Product Management as to
what name that's going to be.)

Finally, this is Open Source Software. If you decide you're simply not
going to move to the new commands from IBM, you're welcome to make and
keep copies of the *_configure scripts for your own use, for ever and ever.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390