From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Alan
Altmark
Sent: Monday, November 4, 2019 01:56 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: backup product

On Monday, 11/04/2019 at 06:01 GMT, "Levy, Alan" <al...@doitt.nyc.gov>
wrote:
> The divisions here are migrating away from Netbackup to CommVault.
>
> The only problem is that Netbackup currently does not work with SLES15
and
> CommVault is not certified for s390x SLES15 (only for x86).
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a product that will backup up
our
> linux servers (dasd and san) ?
>
> We are also precluded from using VMTAPE and VMBACKUP (from CA).

VMTAPE and VMBACKUP are for taking CMS file, spool, etc., and guest image
backups from EDEVICEs and 3390s.  The alternatives from IBM are
 - IBM Tape Manager for z/VM, and
 - IBM Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM

You need this capability for DR and to recover when sysprog does something
dumb.  "Ooops, I didn't mean to erase that file...."  z/VM files and
objects, as well as guest image backups, are typically archived to tape
which is replicated in your grid to your DR site/provider.  And by having
the Linux disk image backups, you're able to rapidly restore a working
Linux.

The Linux (and other distributed) servers need to manage files, too.  For
that, have a look at IBM Spectrum Protect (formerly Tivoli Storage
Manager).   If you have z/OS, then the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for z/OS

Media product can be used as a target for Spectrum Protect, enabling it to
use FICON tape.  (The other TSM components were withdrawn from z/OS- the
media server is all that remains.)   After the DR image is restored, you
use Spectrum Protect to pull in all the later files to bring it up to the
most recent content (depending on when the DR image is taken).

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant IBM Systems Lab Services IBM Z
Delivery Practice ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390