On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 07:06, Peter <dbajava...@gmail.com> wrote:

We have 2 IFLs for zVM(non SSI). We are planning to run multiple instances
> of oracle on a single Linux guest server.
>
> Almost these oracle are expected to have a very low workload.
>
> Is anyone in the group who are running a similar workload and is there any
> bottle neck to check while running multiple oracle in a single linux guest.

Yes, that is a typical situation because sometimes during a project people
come up with more database instances they need, and don't want to go back
and get additional servers. Since the database instances are low usage, it
is tempting to believe you can share the white space in the server.
However, sometimes your database server will peak and show high usage, and
when several instances get busy at the same time you may run out of memory.
You probably should not configure PGA and SGA for each instance as if it
were the only instance in that virtual machine. Make sure you configure the
database not to absorb all resources (like connection pool size, SGA and
PGA, etc).

There's a baseline cost per virtual machine in resources (mostly memory)
and management (deployment, maintenance, monitoring). When your database
instances are really small with tiny SGA and PGA and few connections, that
baseline cost can get proportionally high. When you have advanced tools to
manage the guests, it is easier to decide to split the workload into
different machines. On the other hand, if you mix different workloads in
the same Linux guest, you can't use z/VM level tools and settings to
prioritize a specific workload or do charge back on that level.

Rob

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390