This said, Stefan, would capacity group capping at the LPAR level show up
as 1.1? And how would you distinguish dedicated from shared capacity (at
any level)?

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 04/08/2020 11:54:37:

> From: Stefan Raspl <ra...@linux.ibm.com>
> To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 04/08/2020 11:54
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [LINUX-390] VM system name
> Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> Hi Conny,
>
> On 2020-08-04 10:32, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:33:38 +0200
> > Stefan Raspl <ra...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Tim,
> >> Thanks for your feedback, your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

> >> Yeah, I'm all for keeping things short and sweet! Using that
float-notation
> >> would require folks to parse out the info (i.e. the '2' from the
> first 3 rows)
> >> once again, which I could imagine might make things a bit tedious.
Maybe we
> >> really don't need that first column to begin with, just print the
> 'level' column
> >> instead!
> >
> > Actually, looking at this, I found the '2.2' notation for a guest
> > confusing anyway... what would a guest inside a guest look like?
>
> Probably 3.x

> >> Exactly: By eliminating spaces, someone processing the output can
> count fields
> >> instead of relying on columns starting at a certain offset -
> makes things more
> >> robust.

> >> I see your point. But for environments like zCX, the nomenclatureis
not as
> >> obvious. Plus one can use the generic monikers along with the level
info to
> >> address/query output independent of the actual hypervisor in use.

> >> Hmmmm, that would be nice! Problem is that z/VM is one of the few
> environments
> >> where we have that kind of info available - KVM or zCX don't :/
> >
> > Where is that information coming from? Diag 318?
>
> It depends. qclib uses a number of sources for its data, including STHYI,
Diag

https://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/linux390/ht_src/qclib-2.1.0.tgzand
> run 'make test', that should do.
>

> > (...)

> >> Some of these suggestions could be easily mistaken as actual
> model names (e.g.
> >> "z15+" or "z16") while they are not - a very delicate matter.
> Plus, for various
> >> reasons, the unidentified ID might turn out not to be a later
> generation model,
> >> in which case we would give false info. So we should probably resort
> >> "unknown", or maybe "UFC" (Unidentified Flying CEC) - just kidding.
> >
> > I'd like to see a flying CEC, even if it is unidentified :)
> >
> > Another thing maybe to consider is QEMU cpu models. If a guest is
> > running on a z<n> host, but the cpu model used for the VM is z<n-1>,
> > displaying a model of z<n> while the guest actually sees a z<n-1> could
> > be confusing.
>
> So far, we're only considering the CPU model visible to the guest,
> so we should
> be OK in this scenario.
>

> --
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
>
> Stefan Raspl
>

> Linux on Z & Virtualization Development

> IBM Deutschland
> Schoenaicher Str. 220
> 71032 Boeblingen
> Phone: +49-7031-16-2177
> E-Mail: stefan.ra...@de.ibm.com

> IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats:
> Gregor Pillen
> Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Stuttgart, HRB
> 243294

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?

u=http-3A__www2.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

> siA1ZOg&r=jQ4IiHbzZ0l-wFKuUHMHvPIsi5vD8MZZCyI-
> y49pWL0&m=1Vxel2ONYBkgqKqQQvGYAZDIthPDfj9u3am-
> j2FNoh0&s=ZV3OBBVUQ7aSoAbdY7qjxVJiIQwkIcWDdhfC6rrGadk&e=

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Best regards
Ingo Adlung

   Ingo Adlung                        IBM Deutschland Research &
   IBM Distinguished Engineer         Development GmbH
   Chief Architect, and CTO           Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
   IBM Z and LinuxONE Virtualization  Gregor Pillen
   & Linux                            Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
   mail: adl...@de.ibm.com            Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen
   phone: +49-7031-16-4263            Registergericht: Amtsgericht
                                      Stuttgart, HRB 243294
                                      IBM Privacy Statement
                                      https://www.ibm.com/privacy/us/en/
                                      IBM Datenschutzerklärung