On 1/7/21 1:58 PM, Cohen, Sam wrote:
> If you're running under z/VM with a class G (or lower) user, why use
> cio_ignore at all?  Your hypervisor will only allow you to see what should be
> seen.  Even without z/VM, you can limit the devices visible to the LPAR via
> IOCDS statements.  I don't have cio_ignore on the startup of any of my RHEL
> guests (although I do use dasd.conf and zfcp.conf).

I, and others, have been saying the same thing for years. This feature
was initially implemented simply because when people were doing an
installation in an LPAR, booting was taking too long. It was taking too
long because many customers make all I/O devices available to all their
LPARs, and those customers tend to have a *lot* of I/O devices. The
kernel can take quite some time to probe them all.

When SUSE first shipped that feature, we made the mistake of inserting
cio_ignore into the kernel parms by default. That caused problems like
this one, and we changed the installer so that installs performed in a
virtualized environment did not insert cio_ignore. I.e., z/VM and KVM.
That eliminated a large number of customer problems.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390