Hi Victor,

I would say, tell your Open group to NOT look at the Linux point of view. Linux
is wrong, or perhaps I should say any virtualized guest is wrong. A guest can
only report on its own metrics and doesn't know what happens outside its own
machine. Only the host has the correct view.

IIRC Barton Robinson once commented that Linux used to use the wall-clock time
to calculate the CPU usage. So it was quite easy to compensate the Linux view
with z/VM metrics. When virtualization became more common the kernel started
reporting on steal time. But the reported CPU and steal time is more or less a
guess of what is going on. Sometimes the kernel guesses correctly, most of the
time it doesn't.

Example: We used to have a couple of Linux guests with a HARDLIMIT at 10%. Each
night during batch our Linux group would get a ticket because the machine was
at 100% CPU for 2.5 hours. The customer wanted the 10% limit based on their
allowed batch window and the license costs they would have with higher capacity.

Second example: An LPAR had poor performance in its Linux guests. The customer
wanted to add an IFL as they saw poor numbers in the SAR reporting (High CPU,
High Steal). In z/VM we noticed quite a lot of CPU wait. We have solved that by
reconfiguring the SHARE settings for all guests in this z/VM.

Another example: When a VSE competes for CPU resources it just reports 100%,
regardless of its actual CPU usage. Our z/VM is capped at 7 MIPS. So when the
VSE is running any kind of load it reports 100% CPU. Similarly we used to run
batch in an environment with 2 LPARs, 8 VSEs and 3 shared processors. Each VSE
reported anywhere between 10 and 100% CPU depending on the jobs running in
other LPARs and other VSE guests.

As for the issue at hand. Is there actually a problem in performance, like
Online too slow or batch window too short? Is the High CPU usage an actual
problem? Is a high steal rate a problem? It also depends on the purpose of the
guest. A production machine might require more CPU, but when it's consumed by a
test or development machine then you might want to lower SHARE settings for
guest with a lower priority. When one machine is running batch or a high CPU
application, that might give higher CPU and steal rates in other guests as well.

If there is indeed a problem, then first take a look at CPU_Wait for the
guests. If z/VM reports a high CPU_Wait for a guest then you might want to
increase SHARE for that guest. But keep in mind that you need to review the
entire VM system, not just one single guest. That's what I did in the case of
the second example, I listed the CPU usage and CPU_Wait for all machines for a
couple of days. And then determined what the best SHARE would be for each guest.

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Berry van Sleeuwen
Flight Forum 3000 5657 EW Eindhoven