On 3/12/21 3:53 PM, Ted Rodriguez-Bell wrote:
> Yesterday Suse issued an s390-tools patch for SLES 12SP5 that does this:
>
>     * Changing the scheduler from "deadline" to the newly created
> "mq-deadline" scheduler  (bsc#1176574)
> (It takes us to 2.1.0-18.26.1 in case anyone's counting.)
>
> So two questions.  First, it looks to me like mq-deadline is already there:
> $ rpm -q s390-tools
> s390-tools-2.1.0-18.23.1.s390x
> $ cat /sys/block/dasda/queue/scheduler
> [none] mq-deadline kyber bfq

It's available, but what's currently in use is "none." That's the value
that's in square braces.

> so what does the patch do?  Second, how does the choice affect performance on
> DASD devices?  Does one even have a choice or does the device driver allow
> only mq-deadline?

It sets the scheduler to use mq-deadline (multi-queue deadline). You
could, if you choose, override that with one of the other choices, but I
wouldn't do that without getting some indication from one of IBM's
performance folks that you should. Our direction from that source was
that with the introduction of mq-deadline, that it was a better
_default_ than any of the others.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390