The big difference between "System Z" (and all things akin to that
architecture, regardless to re-branding, I can't keep up!) and the other
platforms is that Z has _channelized I/O_. I've always suspected, but
never heard or seen proven or disproved, that channelized I/O makes
virtualization potentially more effective/efficient on Z. I do know that
the "insertion loss" of virtualization is way lower with Z than any other.

I was not aware of true virtualization for some of the architectures you
cite (SPARC, MIPS). I heard that Sun offered something akin to PR/SM,
but never heard of a /hypervisor/ for SPARC.

And today, it's all about containers, which are nothing more or less
than 'chroot' on steroids. There's really only ever >one< kernel in a
container host. But containers (as a service, feature, or concept) are
available for /any/ HW architecture where Linux runs (and a few others,
such as FreeBSD, see "jails"). Linux itself supports more instruction
sets / architectures than I can count. One Linux release I happen to
have on-hand lists more than two dozen: i386, x86, x86_64, s390, arm,
powerpc, but also alpha, cris, ia64, m68k, mips, parisc, score, sh,
sparc, unicore32, xtensa. Some of these have dropped off (this is an old
source), and most I've honestly never seen (hardware).

But you're asking about true virtualization, where one can run a
/different/ kernel/nucleus in the "guest" (which one CANNOT do in a
container).

I'm aware of two true "type 1" hypervisors: z/VM and Xen. Originally,
Xen was actually PARAvirt, but when the newer instructions became
available on AMD/Intel, Xen kinda grew up. As I recall, Xen had to boot
before Linux. I ran Xen at home with good success, but didn't delve into
the details. At the time, I believe Xen was limited to Intel/AMD.

There are more "type 2" hypervisors than I can count. Perhaps the most
popular these days is KVM on Linux, which supports _Z_, _AMD/Intel_,
_ARM_, and _POWER_.

Haven't used Qubes.

My wife's nephew outed that he's using Parallels on his Mac. Apple has
used POWER, now Intel/AMD, and soon ARM, so Parallels (a type 2
hypervisor) is in the same space as KVM (is it type 2 or type 1?) w/r/t
supported HW instruction sets.

I thought RISC-V was "close enough" to POWER that it might also run KVM.

Does this help?

-- R; <><

--
-- R; <><