On 1/27/22 10:06, (K.K.Paradox)T.Kobayashi wrote:
Thank you for your advice. I haven't solved the problem, but I will continue
to investigate this problem.

You're welcome.

I suspect your setup [/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ?] is some default for systems with a physical frame buffer and with whatever procedure you start xdm (some system service?), it tries to start something automatically like on a typical x86 desktop [VT7, fbdev]. If you want to go with this method of starting up X, you probably need to teach it to use Xvnc instead of Xorg as X server. I haven't done such config since roughly 2 decades. Maybe:
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/en/man1/xdm.1.html#local%20server%20specification

I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu so I could not find any more detailed documentation other than the Xvnc man page which briefly alludes to a few different setup variants:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/Xvnc4.1.html

You might be able to translate docs of other distros to your Ubuntu environment:

https://documentation.suse.com/sles/15-SP3/html/SLES-all/cha-vnc.html#sec-vnc-persistent
Vncpassword and vncserver is what I often use, but without a display manager.
The other doc parts seem to depend on YaST as config frontend which is SUSE specific.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/using_the_desktop_environment_in_rhel_8/accessing-the-desktop-remotely_using-the-desktop-environment-in-rhel-8#remotely-accessing-the-desktop-as-multiple-users_accessing-the-desktop-remotely
This shows how to edit config files and parts of it might also apply to vnc server on Ubuntu.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steffen Maier" <ma...@linux.ibm.com>
To: <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: X Windows System setup on Ubuntu Server 18.04.

On 1/26/22 14:11, Robert J Brenneman wrote:
you don't run the X server process on the remote system, the X Server
runs
on the system with the video card in it - which is generally the
workstation/pc/laptop you are looking at.   the programs running on the
remote server are the X Clients, and you tell them where the server is by
setting the DISPLAY variable.  Generally you also enable SSH X11
tunneling
on the remote server by setting it in the ssh_server.conf file and
restarting sshd, and when you ssh into the server you use the -X switch
on
the ssh command to tell the ssh client to create an X11 tunnel through
your
ssh session.

Workstation-local X server, optionally with ssh X11 forwarding, is one
option.

Running an X server on Z with the VNC backend, instead of a framebuffer,
is
another option. In that case the local workstation would run a VNC client
and
connect to the remote VNC server on the Z-side to show the virtual
framebuffer
of the remote X server. I prefer it when I need to access GUI over
anything
non-LAN, especially over long haul internet paths, because VNC over the
long
haul path behaves much better than the good old verbose X window protocol.
Usually that would be a setup without any X display manager (such as XDM,
GDM,
KDM, ...) in my case, but I've seen distros setup a full display manager
setup
with Xvnc on Z.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell from the given information why the latter did
not
work, despite having x11vnc installed.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 4:09 AM (K.K.Paradox)T.Kobayashi <