Cross posting to Linux for s390 and z/VM List Serves

We are looking at using a SAN and connect our z/VM system to it to allow our
Linux servers on z/VM to use it

We are having questions on Connectivity in the IOCP to backend LUN's in the SAN

For FCP Channels you are not allowed to do Multi-Pathing like we normally see
on the Mainframe by having a control unit have multiple Path to the same device.

If this is correct then two  SAN switch's that connect to the SAN disks can map
to the same LUN in the back end

Using this will allow 2 separate device addresses to be created that point to
the same backend LUN correct?

Then Linux Multi-pathing  will see 2 separate device addresses as a single LUN
and associate both addresses to the same SAN Device

CHPID 40 (CSS0) -----> Switch A ----->        ----------------------

| SAN  Devices   |
CHPID 41 (CSS0) -----> Switch B ----->        ----------------------

CHPID 40, CU 4000, devices 4000-401F
CHPID 41, CU 4100, devices 4100-411F

If the Zone Fabric relates all the out link switch ports to the same xx00-xx1F
devices in the backend, does this allow for Linux Multi-pathing and eliminate
the single CHPID point of failure

Are there any documents that will clarify this possibly for me?

Larry Davis
Senior z/VM Systems Architect,
Leveraged Mainframe Team
DXC Technology