When you logged on the guest did you see any messages pertaining to disks not
available? Did the z/VM system come up with all its DASD and if so did they all
get attached to the system? Maybe you Linux guest is missing a minidisk or more
such that LVM is not able to find everything it needs to mount volumes? Those
messages appear to indicate it can't find everything it needs.

- If you are ECKD - Check with #CP Q V DA all that it has all the minidisks it
expects
- If you are SCSI - Check with #CP Q V FCP that all the required subchannels
are available for getting to the SAN
- Login to maintenance mode and use PVSCAN/VGSCAN/LVSCAN to verify all required
pieces are present
- Use dmesg to review kernel messages
- Check syslog for any additional clues

On 2/27/23, 13:13, "Linux on 390 Port on behalf of Frank M. Ramaekers"
<LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU <mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> on behalf of
uisfrancism.ramaek...@globe.life <mailto:uisfrancism.ramaek...@globe.life>>
wrote:

I had z/VM jerk the rug out from under our zLinux system and now I can't get it
up.

Starting Crash recovery kernel arming...
Ý Ý1;31mFAILED Ý0m¨ Failed to start Crash recovery kernel arming.
See 'systemctl status kdump.service' for details.
Ý Ý32m OK Ý0m¨ Started Security Auditing Service.
Starting Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown...
Ý Ý32m OK Ý0m¨ Started Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.
Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
Ý Ý32m OK Ý0m¨ Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ¬D to
try again to boot into default mode.
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

ÝKÝ Ý1;31m TIME Ý0m¨ Timed out waiting for device
dev-ma...-clefos_mfclef00\x2dhome.device.
Ý Ý1;33mDEPEND Ý0m¨ Dependency failed for File System
C...dev/mapper/clefos_mfclef00-home.
Ý Ý1;33mDEPEND Ý0m¨ Dependency failed for /home.
Ý Ý1;33mDEPEND Ý0m¨ Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
Ý Ý1;33mDEPEND Ý0m¨ Dependency failed for Mark the need to relabel after reboot.
Ý Ý1;33mDEPEND Ý0m¨ Dependency failed for Migrate local... structure to the new
structure.
Ý Ý1;33mDEPEND Ý0m¨ Dependency failed for Relabel all filesystems, if necessary.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390