On 12.30.98 7:10 AM, Alan Cox said:
>> Chipsets?  I'm building custom hardware because I want to get away from
>> chipsets.  completely unnecessary for my task.  Plus, I'd have to go thru
>> the expense of developing a custom bios and its not worth it.
>
>How much CPU power do you actually need. If you can lay your own high
>speed boards out the Cyrix MediaGX is basically a two chip set
>(socket 7 cpu with extras) and a 5520. You could then leave most of the
>peripheral intefaces you don't care about (audio/video ...) unattached

That's the leading candidate right now in the intel camp.  Thanks for the
pointer, though, I only discovered it recently myself.   I wish the
manufacturers would use their high speed cores in embedded designs more.
Even the mediagx was desinged for pcs, though it looks a lot like an
embedded processor.

Jay