-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of David Given
Sent:   Friday, 12 February 1999 00:52
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: kernel fission was: msdos/umsdos support?

>On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Steve Drake wrote:
>
>> The reason I can see for ELKS is what first lead me to take an interest
>> in it -- the "E" in ELKS stands for "Embeddable."
>
>For those looking for a free, open source, embeddable OS, check out:
>
>http://www.cygnus.com/ecos/
>
>It does require a 32-bit (or 64-bit) processor, but AFAIK that's not a big
>deal for real embedded projects.

If you want an embedded system, you do *not* go for an Intel processor. You
particularly don't go for a 16-bit Intel processor.

They're too expensive, don't have enough oomph, require far too much glue,
and require strange software. If you want an embedded system, you buy an
off-the-shelf ARM or M-Core or SH based processor which consists of one chip
with a thousand-and-one peripherals built in. And you don't run ELKS on it;
you run a proprietry RTOS like eCos or vxWorks or Elate or something.

The reasons for ELKS are primarily for fun and secondly to get useful work
out of old hardware *we already have*. If you start having to pay money for
the hardware, it no longer becomes worth it.

I don't have a problem with this.

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+
|  Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | FNORD
|  Play: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+