On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Molenda, Mark P wrote:

> 1) My assumption is that the port of linux to 8086 processors is called
> ELKS.  Where would I get a tar for that?

Yep, it's called ELKS.  The current tgz is available at Alistairs site,
which is ftp://ftp.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pub/elks/

> 2) How many working parts are there now?  Does it have an editor, networking
> ( ppp, slip etc.). Is there mail on it?

It has an editor (levee, a vi clone), it has a few basic tools, such as
grep and text utils compiled for it.  There are also a few shells ported
(sash and ash in particular).  There is no networking as yet, but every
man and his dog claims to be working on it :)

> 3) Is there a Matthew Welsh ( I hope I got his name right) type doco project
> going on, or is it too early?

Who is Matthew Welsh, and what sorta docs has he made?  Most of the
documentation is available either from the kernel source tree, or from
http://elks.doa.org/ (when it's up).

> 4) What compilers are working, and are there any cookbook type steps to get
> this up and running?

The main compiler we're using is called bcc.  The b is for 'Bruce' and not
for Borland.  The compiler called zcc is being used for the z80 port
(which is all but stopped).  A couple of people are working on getting bcc
to run under ELKS, but as yet, no luck has been had.

> 5) How can I help?

Read through the section on the website about how to help.  Porting useful
little programs from Linux to ELKS is always helpful.  Running ELKS on a
system and finding/reporting bugs in it is also helpful.

Hope this answered the questions you had and any others that you didn't
ask but wanted to know.

Davey