On Tue, 11 May 1999, Eric J. Korpela wrote:

> Does anyone else agree with me that direct int 10 access is a mistake?
> Wouldn't access through a device driver be a bit more unixy?  It would
> be able to prevent multiple processes from trying to access int 10
> services.

Using the BIOS certainly helps reduce the memory footprint, which is
all-important in ELKS, since right now there's a hard 64 Kbyte limit on
kernel size.  Restricting access to INT 10h is something the kernel can
easily handle.  Personally I'm of the opinion that using the BIOS for
everything possible is a great shortcut.  Lots of device drivers talk to
the BIOS for devices.  This one just happens to be loaded from the
motherboard.

Shane