Hi Blaz.

 >>> Now that i've finally got that lp driver to print on my
 >>> inkspitter (= it should work 100% on other parallel printers
 >>> too) it's time to write some userland tools.

 >> Does this mean that, other than the actual networking code,
 >> ELKS is ready to act as a transparent print spooler? If so,
 >> that's great news...

 > Yes. Although it shouldn't be too hard to put together simple
 > filter, at least something that converts plain ascii to PCL
 > printable file. What i fed my printer was document spitted out
 > of magicfilter for Linux.

What I was looking at initially was the following setup:

 1. Network of assorted ELKS, Linux and WinXX systems.

 2. One of the Linux systems acts as a master print filter,
    and performs the necessary translations for the printer
    in question, then sends the translated document to...

 3. One or more ELKS systems, each with a printer attached,
    which receive documents from (2) and spool them to the
    local hard drive, feeding them on to the printer as
    required.

That uses (3) as a "transparent print spooler", as per my quoted
comment, and the development of a "translating print spooler" using
utilities such as ghostscript (can that be easily ported to ELKS)
would follow from there.

 > BTW, this doesn't really explain why i didn't get staircase
 > effect - my document surely didn't have ^M (it's missing from
 > full LF/CR sequence on Unix) and the document printed nice
 > anyway. I'll have to investigate this a bit more. And yes, lp.c
 > needs error handling so it will become larger eventually.

The presence or absence of the staircase effect is a 'feature' of the
printer itself - some printers can be set to treat LF as CR/LF, so
only need to see the LF character to do both, others need to see the
CR as well. Your comments indicate that your printer treats LF as
CR/LF.

 >> I'd certainly be interested in having a go at lpd if it's not
 >> yet ready, and I can probably also put together a basic terminal
 >> emulator, although I can't guarantee anything soon...

 > In that case it'd be better if you go for lpd or relevant
 > printer tools. Jacek Lipowski claims claims that he has terminal
 > program improved and i guess it's just up to him to reveal the
 > URL where it is located :-)))))

OK. I have exams this coming week though, so don't expect much work
until after then...

Best wishes from Riley.

| There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux  |
| else has already done so and is just about to release their patch.   |
 * ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
 * http://www.MemAlpha.cx/kernel.versions.html