Jacek Lipkowski writes:

> On Sat, 29 May 1999, Alistair Riddoch wrote:
>
> > Any thoughts anyone?
>
> i thought about this some time ago. if you had enough ram, you could put
> elks in an eprom (or actually two eproms - the xt used 32k eproms if i can
> remember correctly). during start you could just do what the floppy loader
> does (copy the kernel into ram and jump). in another eprom (with an
> invalid signature, so the bios won't execute it) you could put the
> filesystem (granted that romfs works).

Getting a kernel with full filesystem support into a 32K rom would be hard.
With a larger ROM such a system would be possible. I belive some network
cards can take up to 128K of EPROM. ROMfs does not currently work, but I
have every intention of fixing it. One of the advantages of the idea is
that it is not actually necessary to copy the code segment into RAM. In can
just run in place on the ROM providing the data segment is copied into
RAM.

Al