: I am seriously considering adding this to the kernel, but I am not clear
: why the linker needs to be tweaked. Surely the linker just deals with the
: data and bss segments, and leaves the stack and heap to be sorted out at
: load time?
:

        Well one reason would be that if the bss segment is placed
above the stack segment, then the linker would have to allocate bss
addresses differently....

        I think that the order could be kept the same, though,
and not require a linker mod.  That would be code, data, bss, stack, heap.
There would be a change to the c library to use the end of the stack
segment, rather than the end of the bss, as the beginning of heap.

I still think we should discuss why this order is better than
        code, data, bss, heap, stack

though.

Greg

: Al