Al,
        I've been thinking about an enhancement to ELKS, regarding system
buffer management, but I don't quite understand how it works now.

        After I ported elvis to ELKS, I noticed that ELKS has to reload
elvis from floppy every time after I run it.  Other programs load from buffer cache.
I though perhaps this is because the buffer cache isn't big enough (elvis is almost
64k in size).

        A cool enhancement would be to have *all* buffers allocated out of main
memory, like linux does.  Then, we'd keep using up main memory for buffers,
until the kernel needed to allocate it for process data.

        Would this be hard to do?  What's different about the buffer mgmt scheme
in elks than linux?   BTW, which version of linux did elks originate from?

Greg