> A freind has a 286 laptop he wants Linux on, and will want to program
: > with it.  I saw in the archive that someone had gotten the bcc going
: > on elks, is that true?  How do I go about getting bcc on elks, and
: > also...I want bash or tcsh or some other decent shell...has anyone
: > suceeded in compiling any of those for elks?  Lets see.....what
: > else...
:
: Greg Haerr has been working on getting bcc working under elks, and I
: think he made some progress a while back once the kernel memory allocation
: code was fixed. bash and tcsh and both far too large to build under elks
: at the moment. If you need a shell with advanced interactive features,
: then one will be required that does not support the full scripting features
: of this shell if it is to fit into elks.
:
        Yeah, I have bcc, bcc-cc1, as86 and ld86 compiled under ELKS,
but there's still problems.  bcc-cc1 is 63.5 out of 64k, and for some reason spits
out garbage instead of assembly.  The other programs seem to run, but they're
tight also.  We do have the ash shell running, as well as a decent vi editor.

        ELKS currently is quite developmental, not really a good platform
to develop other programs on just yet.

Greg