On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anybody on the list know where some docs, HOWTO's, books,
> etc are(preferably on the net) on the theories behind OS/kernel
> development and maybe how to implement them?  I'm hoping there's
> something out there not necassarily on linux but on OS/kernel
> development in general.

The Minix book[0] is probably as good a place to start as any.

It's quite heavily microkernel-oriented, but that's probably an
advantage - otherwise it's very easy to forget that all the world
isn't monolithic Unix.

After that, you might get some more information from looking at
the LDP's "The Linux Kernel"[1] which wil show you how a lot of
the stuff in the Minix book is anchored to Linux, and introduce
some of the more modern bits which the Minix book omits.

Matthew.

[0] "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation" by A S Tanenbaum
[1] http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/tlk/tlk.html