-----Original Message-----
From: Perry Harrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Nima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, November 29, 1999 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Redhat Linux6.o for athlon

>Nima,
>
> Although your comments are off topic for this list, there is no reason to
unload
>some linux zealoutry on you ;)
>
>The Athlon should run Linux fine.  It doesn't have any optimizations from a
kernel
>standpoint, but that'll come in time.
>
>My personal preference is for Redhat 6.0, not 6.1 (the GUI installer is
lame for
>old timers).
It sounds like most of you on this list use Redhat. (Thanks for your comment
about the gui installer -- I fit the class that would prefer 6.0.)  Does any
one know of a linux list that I can subscribe to?  I was able to get a
Slackware 3.2 installed but the only time it would let me access the cdrom
was when I booted from floppy.  So I bought a disk (for the support?!?) --
the latest one being Slackware 7.  The ONLY successful thing I was able to
do with it was boot from the cdrom (on the business Win98 machine!) -- and I
still couldn't read the man pages!

I have a 486 and a 386 - both with 8mb RAM that I am trying to get Linux on.
I am looking forward to ELKS getting network support so I can resurect my 86
machine.