On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 08:23:45PM +0000, Peter Ryan wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I want to make a small embeded program to respond to some communication
> on the serial port.
> I'd like to build the code into the Kernel so I I just have to write the
> kernel to a floppy and let the floppy load.

There are several ways in which ELKS does not quite allow you to do this
yet.

> My problems are
> 1. I don't know how I should include the standard library stuff into
> this custom kernel

You would add a call to your main function (which would be best to be called
something else) at the beginning of init/main.c, and then link the object
files that make up your program into the kernel from a new directory.
No library layer has currently been written to sit between a user program
and the raw system calls for programs linked into the kernel. I could put this
on my list, unless anyone else is willing to volunteer?

> 2. I don't want a filesystem (CONFIG_NOFS) but I do want to access the
> serial port.
>     Will I have to use system calls?

Another layer has also got to be written to allow access to devices when no
filesystem is included. I will get this in in some form before the next
release.

Al