Ini di excerp dari man page-nya ipchains, bagian Making Rules Permanent:

Your current firewall setup is stored in the kernel, and thus will be lost
on reboot. I recommend using the `ipchains-save' and `ipchains-restore'
scripts to make your rules permanent. To do this, set up your rules, then
run (as root):
# ipchains-save > /etc/ipchains.rules
#

Create a script like the following:
#! /bin/sh
# Script to control packet filtering.

# If no rules, do nothing.
[ -f /etc/ipchains.rules ] || exit 0

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "Turning on packet filtering:"
        /sbin/ipchains-restore < /etc/ipchains.rules || exit 1
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        echo "."
        ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "Turning off packet filtering:"
        echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        /sbin/ipchains -F
        /sbin/ipchains -X
        /sbin/ipchains -P input ACCEPT
        /sbin/ipchains -P output ACCEPT
        /sbin/ipchains -P forward ACCEPT
        echo "."
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/packetfilter {start|stop}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Make sure this is run early in the bootup procedure. In my case (Debian
2.1), I make a symbolic link called `S39packetfilter' in the `/etc/rcS.d'
directory (this will be run before S40network).