From: BEN BulleT. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. CR(A,E,?)Y
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:08:33 GMT

> On Fri, 12 May 2000 00:46:07 GMT, BEN BulleT. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Well, you know guys, what it all means is that when nuclear bomb
physics

> Wow!  Way off topic, but wow!

Not necessily true. I don't know. I support Linux but... where do I fit
in? It could be that I am a compiler kind of guy. You might desperately
need a new 'gcc' compiler and I'd be glad to help if someone could point
me in the right direction.

--
Kevin B. Murphy, Homo(nid) sapien superior,
Xian: If it hurts you to read it then you have a problem.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:21:43 GMT

On 12 May 2000 16:46:20 GMT, abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Yer right, we are going to be using Linux in 40-50 years!
>
>> Compare the Computers of 50 years ago to now, then extrapolate the
>> increasing rate of change, then tell me we will be using Linux, Liar.
>
>Spoken truly as someone who doesnt understand computer history.  The
>same argument was used decades ago when it was decided to use double
>digit dates..."oh come on...in 30 years we wont be using this stuff

        ...except (assuming that this is the 'itime problem') that
        we're talking a fully specified actual storage specification
        versus an abstract one which just happens to break on SOME
        of 'this years' hardware.

>anymore, they will have fixed it by THEN; just extrapolate the current
>rate of change!".
>
>Now that its clear that you do not understand what youre saying,
>stop saying it at once.

        No, you're the one that doesn't understand the situation.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 10 things with Linux I wish I knew before i jumped
Date: 12 May 2000 17:45:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Stuart R. Fuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Phillip ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : 2nd of all:
> : If something goes wrong - Linux will tell you clearly what the problem is -
> :                                             so LISTEN to it
> : "general fault error" is just plain Windows crap.

> So, how is "segmentation fault" more useful than "general protection fault"?

It doesnt bring down the entire OS and its possible to grab debugging information
from the process right before it bombs out.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: An honest attempt
Date: 12 May 2000 17:48:46 GMT

Clifford W. Racz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It all boils down to time.  I get tired of Windows crashing and having to
> reinstall it!  I get more tired of Linux not working correctly unless I
> change my xconfigurator settings, my .whatchamacallit file and tweak the
> flux capacitor.  In windows, it just works... now.  I have a wife and
> children, so my days of playing with big toys, like Linux are over.

Well then it sounds to me like you should be taking your mediocre-at-best
brain and doing something nice and simple with it, like running windows.

> Unless a time effective solution can be found for us, you advocates on
> comp.os.linux.advocacy have failed to convert me.  But, hey, at least I only
> spent $25 to buy a Linux box set (I downloaded Corel for free).

Why do you think that it is anyone's intention on this newsgroup to convert
*you*?

> P.S.  I am still open to trying Linux if I could just understand how... I am
> just more skeptical now.

Give it up before you post again.

> P.P.S.  I am not stupid,

If you werent stupid, the documentation would be sufficient for your needs.

> nor lazy...

If you werent lazy, the documentation would be sufficient for your needs.

> don't flame me for that.  I am a
> physicist

Whats dark matter made out of? (at least according to exceedingly recent
hubble findings)

> who has better things to do than chase lost causes (not that
> Windows is not a lost cause... just the better alternative for me here.)

Because youre stupid and lazy.  :P

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 12 May 2000 17:52:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12 May 2000 16:46:20 GMT, abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yer right, we are going to be using Linux in 40-50 years!
>>
>>> Compare the Computers of 50 years ago to now, then extrapolate the
>>> increasing rate of change, then tell me we will be using Linux, Liar.
>>
>>Spoken truly as someone who doesnt understand computer history.  The
>>same argument was used decades ago when it was decided to use double
>>digit dates..."oh come on...in 30 years we wont be using this stuff

>       ...except (assuming that this is the 'itime problem') that
>       we're talking a fully specified actual storage specification
>       versus an abstract one which just happens to break on SOME
>       of 'this years' hardware.

Youve missed the point.

>>anymore, they will have fixed it by THEN; just extrapolate the current
>>rate of change!".
>>
>>Now that its clear that you do not understand what youre saying,
>>stop saying it at once.

>       No, you're the one that doesn't understand the situation.

Oh really now?  Why dont you explain it to me, jed, and be sure to
use very small words so that I understand.

And this time, see if you can do it without making any sweeping and
entirely invalid statements about linux.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: BEN BulleT. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:54:25 GMT

In article <8fa7e0$490$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Raena Armitage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > (multi-reply)

> > > No, where do they claim to ?

> > > So what ?  Most people think Edison invented the lightbulb, as
well.

> > Well, it's easy for enlightened folks (such as Smithy, naturally) to
> forget
> > that the average Joe Holden doesn't know any better.
>
> I'm not forgetting that at all.  In fact that's basically exactly what
I'm
> saying.
>
> > Actual quote from my dad circa 1993, on first using the Mac:
> > "Where's the file manager?"
> > There *is* no file manager, Dad.  You do it all from here.
> > "But *all* computers need the File Manager..."
> >
> > QED.  I bet we could all find someone around who will answer yes to
most
> of
> > those questions John posed.  Try a quiz.
> > "Q:  What do you use to a: write a letter, b: make spreadsheets, and
c:
> > make a database?"
> > "A:  a: Word, b: Excel, c: Access."
>
> Technically those answers are perfectly correct.  I know what you
mean,
> however.
>
> > The Average Schmo Doesn't Know Any Better.
>
> Which was my point.  It's hardly fair to blame Microsoft for The
Common
> Joe's ignorance.
>
> Heck, a lot of people probably think Henry Ford invented the Car.
>
> > > His assertion is about as true as it is for any other company I
can
> think of
> > > making similar "innovation" claims.
> > >
> > > Eg, Apple and their "innovative" slot loading CDROM/DVD on the
iMacs.

> > Excuses, excuses.  Since *when* has that been a major issue?
>
> Since people run around chanting "show us Microsoft's innovation" but
> neglect to also chant "show us $SOMEOTHERCOMPANY's innovation".
>
> Microsoft behave identically to almost every other company.  Bitching
about
> Microsoft without also bitching about everyone else is hypocrisy,
plain and
> simple.

The government is perfectly within their right to slice up Microsoft
like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. William Gates +3 is an excellent
businessman but he is a lousy nuclear physicist. He can talk all he
wants to about innovation but as far as making machines cleaner and
faster, he is a major deterant toward that end. Innovation? *BULLSHIT*.
He makes cheap dirty little toys and that's it. Let's see how long it
will take for circuit runs to be sinusoidally shaped. There is no profit
to be made by doing that and the positive effect that may result in the
end may not be realized for decades.

--
Kevin B. Murphy, Homo(nid) sapien superior,
Also, I have postings as author:[EMAIL PROTECTED],I was kicked off of

From: "Dan Hobbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Computer Terms.....(was "Re: MS caught breaking web sites")
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:08:14 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Gillam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let's stick to the terms:
>
> CPU = chip(s) Computer = collection of input/processing/output/storage
> devices that work together to process algorithms.  Commonly seen as that
> box sitting either on or near your desk, to which the cables from your
> keyboard and monitor run.  Sometimes "seen" as a collection of these
> boxes, connected by some type of network cabling, that work in concert
> to process algorithms.

CPU = brain of computer, single chip (multiple CPU's in one box allowed)
PIZZA BOX = computer case with CPU inside it on/under desk

Well, if you get used to SUN boxes, that's the standard, anyway.  Even if
the newer ones don't quite look like pizza boxes anymore, everyone knows
what you're talking about.

Dan

------------------------------

From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:17:08 -0700

Long thread, and I hate to make it longer, but____ Linux is an
operating system for a conventional computer. It is in many ways
an old fashioned operating system, based on principles laid down
by Ken Thompson et. al. in the late 60's and early 70's. Now
technology is a funny thing. Sometimes it advances and sometimes
it doesn't. If you showed a hunting rifle to a man from a century
ago he would understand what it was and how it works. If you
showed your pickup truck to someone from the 1920's they would
understand what is was for, how it worked and could name its
principal components. but if you showed your personal computer to
a person from the 1950's he/she would be totally amazed.
The computer industry froze its basic hardware and software
design early on. While we have amazing increases in
price/performance we still have a cpu, peripherals, main memory,
auxiliary memory and so on. As long as this fundamental paradigm
prevails there is room for an os built around it. But if
computers become analog, or integrated in some special way with a
generalized communications tool, or whatever then Linux, (and
Windows, Unix MVS etc.) will disappear because they are no longer
relevant. Linux has something strong going for it -- the
enthusiasts like me and thee who foster it, use it and sometimes
improve it. Even Microsoft and IBM can't afford the "staff" that
supports Linux and answers questions about it. But if it falls
behind the mainstram of technology it will decline into an
interesting hobby, like Amateur radio. (Yep, I am one of those
too, OM.)

John Culleton

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:20:13 +0200

It was the Fri, 12 May 2000 00:35:31 GMT...
...and Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >But German politicians have the right to tell their citizens that they
> >should not believe in Scientology?
>
> They appear to regard it as a "cult" rather than as an ordinary
> religion.  I would tend to agree with that regard.

They regard it as a corporation, cloaked as a cult. BTW, it has been
decided that the goals of Scientology oppose certain ideas that have
been encoded in some constitution (either the federal constitution or
a federal state's constitution) and thus, at least in one federal
state, Scientology is being observed by constitution protection
authorities.

mawa
--
Es begab sich aber zu jener Zeit, daß Volt, genannt der Spannende, in
das Gate der Schaltung floß, zu richten die Wechselnden und die

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Window managers
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:15:14 +0200

It was the Fri, 12 May 2000 07:12:49 GMT...
...and Alberto Trillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I understand it perfectly boy.

Then why don't you write what you think instead of producing loads of
incomprehensible gibberish?

mawa
--
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, here I come!
                                                   -- Chet T. Laughlin

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Here is the solution
From: dakota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:45:35 -0700

In article <nfHS4.615$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik
Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8fepfn$7lq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> >That's a protocol, not an API.
>>
>> I have the feeling that you are going to reply that anything
>that
>> isn't documented isn't an API, but let's take the same issue
>> from the other direction where it clearly is an API.  How do
>> I, on a client, exchange a password in the NT encrypted mode
>> using a protocol of my own and a server of my own, and then
>> make the client consider itself authenticated in the domain?
>
>I still don't understand the question.  A protocol is not an
>API.  An API is
>an interface that a program running on a computer can call to
>get the OS to
>do something.  A protocol is a stream of bytes sent via a
>network.

Wow, and all these years I thought a stream of bytes transmitted
via a network was called a PACKET.  Is this some
new "innovative" Microsoft definition?  Do you know what you're
talking about?

Subject: Re: Linux Installation from Hell
From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:51:12 -0700

OK here is my formula:
1. Start all over. Hide all RPM based material in the coal bin
where the kids can't find it and get contaminated.
2. Download Slackware 7 boot disk, root disk and from the
slakware directory the a series, the n series , the ap series and
the d series. Try http://www.freesoftware.com for download.
3. Go through a normal Slackware install. RTF instructions of
course.)
4. If your hardware is at all special download the k series and
recompile a custom kernel.
5. Download the x series and xap series and fiddle with X Windows
until you get it right. KDE and its chillun is probably the most
complete environment but it runs slow.
5. AFTER you have a fully functioning and usable system then fool
around with making your own distro for whatever reason you like.
6. Don't under any circumstances mix distributions. Red Hat
Mandrake et al have fallen into the old "product differentiation"
trap. Slackware is one of the earliest and is pretty plain
vanilla.
7. KISS

Good luck.
John Culleton
Computing since 1968, Unixing since 1979, Linuxing for quite a
few years now.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:55:51 GMT

On Fri, 12 May 2000 17:20:13 +0200, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It was the Fri, 12 May 2000 00:35:31 GMT...
>...and Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >But German politicians have the right to tell their citizens that they
>> >should not believe in Scientology?
>>
>> They appear to regard it as a "cult" rather than as an ordinary
>> religion.  I would tend to agree with that regard.
>
>They regard it as a corporation, cloaked as a cult. BTW, it has been
>decided that the goals of Scientology oppose certain ideas that have
>been encoded in some constitution (either the federal constitution or
>a federal state's constitution) and thus, at least in one federal
>state, Scientology is being observed by constitution protection
>authorities.

        This could be considered consistent with the German practice
        of banning the Nazi party (and wannabes).

        Will this 'religous defender' also step forward to defend the
        liberties of the Nazis that he alludes to?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:53:48 GMT

The thing about Linux is not that it is easier to setup, the thing with
linux is, once it's setup, you do not have to worry about it crashing or
having your defaults changed when you install a new program.

In article <8fh8go$b33$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Clifford W. Racz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After much hearing about how much better Linux was than windows, I
tried it.
> I installed Corel Linux first, but had trouble with it and didn't like
it.
> Next, I tried Linux Mandrake 7.  In my opinion, out of everything
Linux I
> have seen, Mandrake is the most straightforward, user friendly, easy
Linux
> for the "Unix Illiterate Dummy" like myself.  I had the easiest
installation
> I could possibly ask for (it did virtually everything).
>
> My system is a PII 350 with 128Meg Ram, a SB AWE64 card, a Creative
DVD

Subject: System uptime message.
From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 12:00:42 -0700

Some messages on this newsgroup and others have the tagline:

"This Linux system up for xxx days yyy hours zzz minutes"

I was just wondering if someone who does this would share the
technique they use to pick up this data and put in in their
message.

John Culleton

From: snowball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie loves Linux, but can't get samba to dance......
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:04:16 -0700

I started redhat6.2 last week, installation was pretty easy.. KDE looks
nice.. 4 desktop windows ---> great!...   But problem comes with this
"samba" : although I don't have to download it from the web(it's part
of the redhat cd); installation looks like ok(KDE program did the job
for me); I restart the computer and check the smbstatus, it said "
no path for the service ....) IT'S NOT WORKING! Maybe I have to edit my
smb.conf? but it's a huge file.. I don't know what should be added or
edited!!   Any help?      TIA      TIA      TIA