Linux-Advocacy Digest #582, Volume #26           Thu, 18 May 00 15:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (David Steinberg)
  Re: Desktop use, office apps (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! ("ax")
  Re: Here is the solution (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Someone)
  Re: Is the PC era over? (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: progamming models, unix vs Windows (JEDIDIAH)
  HP-UX vs. Linux (Ben =?iso-8859-1?Q?Chauss=E9?=)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Your office and Linux. (John Travis)
  Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Tholenbot... we should have the Templetonbot. (was Re: The
"outlook" for kooks) (tholenbot)
  Re: How many more viruses does Microsoft need to fix the problem? (david parsons)
  Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Haakmatbot... we should have the Bergmanbot. (was Re: The
"outlook" for kooks) (tholenbot)
  Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk (Mike Lee)
  Re: HP-UX vs. Linux (abraxas)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Doug Alcorn)
  Re: HP-UX vs. Linux (dakota)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Prasanth Kumar)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 18 May 2000 17:27:44 GMT

Peter T. Breuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I use slackware and debian, and have no problems with either. I'd never
: touch redhat with a bargepole, since it's as nonstandard as hell. But

It seems to me like EVERY distribution is "non-standard"; they all seem to
put the same things in different places.  /usr or /usr/local?  /usr or
/opt?  /etc or /sbin?  Is there even a standard?  I'm really surprised
that this hasn't been fixed yet.  I can't imagine what benefit one gets
from putting stuff in a different plcae in the tree, other than the nice
feeling that his choice is more "logical."  However, the benefits for
having a common directory structure would be large.  In particular, people
wouldn't need to make 3 different rpm packages, for 3 different
distributions, and people would be much better able to share between rpm
and deb.  I must say that trying to fix this whole business with symlinks
from /opt to /usr is my biggest pet peeve.

What is the best way to fix this?  Should I just be helping repackage for
different distributions?  It seems futile since there are so many
packages appearing every day, and new distributions even pop up from time
to time.  Why can't RedHat, Debian, SuSE, Caldera, Slackware, and all just
get together and standardize this?  Has there ever been an effort to try?

(Sorry for drifting so far off-topic on such a massively cross-posted
thread)

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Desktop use, office apps
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:29:55 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 17:08:32 GMT, George Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Thu, 18 May 2000 00:31:40 GMT, JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[snip Linux vs Windows on old Machines]
>>>The Linux people don't expect you to want a GUI too.
>>
>>      That's just the Shill's mantra.
>>
>>      I've likely been running Unix GUI's longer than you've been running
>>      any computer of any kind.
>
>And yes, early Unix GUI's were about as functional as twm xclock and n*xterm's
>to suit user taste.

        Actually, all the usual Windows95 suspects were there. WIMP is
        wimp, regardless of what apps you happen to have available.

>X11 is a bloated windowing system - layer toolkits (multiple) and desktop

        From the point of view of an 8Mhz 68000, sure. However, this is
        not 1985 and the current contemporaries are no less bloated.

>functionality (aka WM, File Manager, toolbar, Help System etc) and it gets
>worse.
>
>Mininalistic Windowing systems can load in 500K RAM micros (Atari) , be stored
>in ROM (RiscOS), and can offer X11 like network features (QNX/Photon).
>
>X is bloated. Its implementations are staggering under the conflicting ideas of
>modernisation, stability, compatability and HW support.
>
>The Windows GUI + Office suite (from the release time of the machine ) is more
>usable than Linux + X11 + X11 Office suite on same machine. eg Windows 95 &&

        This is very disputable and very subjective.

>Office 95 in 16Mb 486 - I wouldn't load Navigator in twm on that and expect

        '95 in 16M? Puleeeze.

        Just who do you think you're trying to kid? Many of us are ex-windows,
        ex-dos, ex-Win9x users. We simply know better than your feeble attempts
        at lying straight to our faces.

        We've experienced the truth for ourselves firsthand.

        That's why we ended up Linux users to begin with.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 18 May 2000 17:32:22 GMT

>Win a 66MB capacity tape drive. Help me win too!

I'm sorry... I have to ask.  How long has this promotion been running that
they're giving away a drive that stores so little?  I've had 120M drives thrown
in with used cases because it wasn't worthwhile for the owner to take it out.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: "ax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:35:08 GMT

"John Culleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8g13c6$bq3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > There is every sound reason to believe that with the Breakup of
> > > Microsoft,
> > > Combined with the manpower of Linux, we see a sudden death of
> Microsoft
> > > OS by 2006.
> > >

> > That's still a slow death of Microsoft in SIX YEARS compared to the
> > cooling down of Linux hype in just SIX MONTHS.
> >
> > > There you go!
> > >
> > > Charlie
> >

> Predictions of the death of either OS are premature. I expect Linux to
> gradually expand its user base over the next six months, particularly in
> Europe and particularly in the server market area. After all its growth
> has been steady for several years.

Charlie made his "prediction". I didn't make any "prediction".
The cooling down of Linux hype is the current event already
happened, not the predicted future event. Such cooling down
is considered by many as healthy "correction".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Here is the solution
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:35:15 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 04:18:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Define "perfectly well".  Can it play Q3?  Run Photoshop or The Gimp?
>
>Perhaps when you get to be more serious about using computers, you will
>realize that your computer can be used for more than as a Lintendo, or
>editting the occasional picture, and browsing the occasional web page.

        That just sounds like sour grapes at the fact that we can do
        a particular thing with our systems that you can't. Mind you,
        this shouldn't be something that VMS should be locked out of.
        The like of Crystal Space and SDL are LGPLed after all.

[deletia]
>> A BookPC + Celeron 533 + 8G hard drive + 64M RAM does all this, and
>> for about $400.
>
>I bought _two_ MicroVAX 3900's with 8 GB of SCSI (not IDE as the above

        Depending on the 'vintage' of the device, it being SCSI will
        be of no relative benefit. Being SCSI doesn't automagically
        make a storage device more desirable than it's IDE counterpart.

>machine no doubt has) disk, 32 M of RAM, built-in ethernet, a bunch of
>terminals, wordclass industrial strength software, all for about $200.

[deletia]

        Calling them the 'best development tools' really doesn't give
        anyone a clue outside of your strange little world why anyone
        would care to use them.

From: Someone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:36:25 -0400

What I would like is a kde multitrack recording application.  I would like
at least 8 tracks, loops, effects, mixing, bouncing, dehiss using a
sample, multiple sound cards, and the ability to output directly to cd
with named tracks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is the PC era over?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:42:00 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 16:20:40 GMT, Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.lang.java.advocacy JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: On Tue, 16 May 2000 18:11:07 GMT, Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>:>I hate the way expansion cards, go straight into the motherboard, and
>:>require disassembly to modify - the whole design seems dreadful.
>:>It looks like something from before the age of consumer electronics -
>:>which is, in fact, what it is.
>
>:      So? It's not as if we are talking some server that might be
>:      running eBay and needs to tolerate no downtime. You make it
>:      sound as if the end user has to get out a soldering iron when
>:      infact all they are doing is opening up a box and plugging cards
>:      into sockets.
>
>They need to have a posidrive screwdriver.  They need to make sure
>they don't drop their screwdriver on the motherboard, or pour their coffee
>over their CPU.  They may need to rearrange their hard drives, and mess
>with master/slave settings on them. Even plugging in memory requires you
>to disassemble stuff.
>
>This is OK for the geeks - but IBM PC clone computers are now sold to
>families all over the place.  These were not the original targets of the
>design.

        I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm in Home Depot. <chuckle>

[deletia]

        a) I've never needed a 'posidrive' screwdriver.
        b) I've seen total novices sucessfully plug in a daughtercard.
                It's not the herculean effort you make it out to be.
                This is one of those instances where the mythology
                of difficulty surrounding the situation is far graver
                than the reality.

        c) You can just as easily mistreat an Atari Octopus style machine.
                Drop it, drop things on it, static charges & spilling your
                coffee on it are just as possible.

        d) Just how are you going to replace the SCSI/ID, IDE/ID scheme
                and still maintain determinism?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:44:32 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 16:26:02 GMT, Doug Alcorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Lathi gets out a clue stick.
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

>> >  uh what? I don't remember paying for KDE...
>>
>>      It's base library is "owned" by a corporation.
>>
>>      A good suggestion might be to replace libqt entirely with a
>>      completely liberated clone. However, it's dubious whether or
>>      not the KDE developers would actually take advantage of such
>>      a thing.
>
>First, the Qt library _is_ now free.  Trolltech decided to license it

        It's 'kinda' free. It's still owned by Trolltech.

        Should Trolltech get scooped up by alien, it will be free.

[deletia]

        The ultimate proof is in the ports: So where are those Be and Mac
        versions?

        Contributors are, afterall, the whole point of a Free licence.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: progamming models, unix vs Windows
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:49:19 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 15:21:22 GMT, George Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Wed, 17 May 2000 20:44:25 GMT, JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Wed, 17 May 2000 20:13:31 GMT, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )) wrote in <8fucab$92l$1
>>>@nnrp1.deja.com>:
>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>I must have missed something here - Linux still seemed to have
>>>configuration spread all over the place.
>>
>>      Only if you consider /etc and $HOME 'all over the place'.
>
>And /var/spool and /usr/lib and /opt/appname + /usr/local/appname +
>/usr/doc/appname
>
>No distribution is consistent with any other.

        <application home directory> is actually quite consistent.

From: Ben =?iso-8859-1?Q?Chauss=E9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP-UX vs. Linux
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:50:41 GMT

Hi,

Do you know what is best between HP-UX and Linux.  We want to create a
web server, and we would like to know what is best does two one ????

Thanks !

BEn ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:02:25 GMT

On 18 May 2000 17:32:22 GMT, Marada C. Shradrakaii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Win a 66MB capacity tape drive. Help me win too!
>
>I'm sorry... I have to ask.  How long has this promotion been running that
>they're giving away a drive that stores so little?  I've had 120M drives thrown
>in with used cases because it wasn't worthwhile for the owner to take it out.

        ...well yeah: you can get an IDE cdrw drive for ~ $100 and
        quality CDRs are less than a buck apiece in bulk...

        Can you even find tapes for that drive?

        420 ftape drives were ~ $100 waaay back in 1995 & after a coupla
        years I had a devil of a time finding 420M tapes.

From: John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Your office and Linux.
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:19:28 -0500

Streamer wrote:

> John Travis wrote:
>

> > Charlie, I'm afraid I  have some bad news.  Linus just called and he
> > wants you to stop using linux immediately.  He thinks you are
> > embarrassing the rest of us (go figure).  He has even threatened to
> > start a petition (which he assures me every linux user will sign), just
> > to get you to stop posting this crap.
> >
> > jt
>
> John, I have even worse news for you.  M$ has decided to charge for the
> cost of registering your Windows2K, so if you don't pay up within 2 days of
> registering, they'll turn off your software and scan your disk drive for
> other M$ programs to deactivate.  Also, M$ has also decided to increase
> their per year licensing fees for W2K, so you will have to register your
> W2K software twice in the same year.  On top of that, You still don't get
> all the features of W2K enabled until you renew your newly expired MSCE

<snip>

Hey dipshit did you bother to check the headers?  If you had half a
brain you would have understood my post.  I was implying that Charlie
was a lintroll.  A brain dead lab monkey would have understood that from
the whole "you are emberassing the rest of US" part, but I guess it was
a litlle too much for you eh?  I know you get all excited when you think
you can flame a windows user, but next time investigate a little bit
more o.k.  In case you still can't figure it out I will help you just
this once.

Mozilla 4.7 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.2.14-15mdk i686)

Netscape..................LINUX..........mandrake

jt

--
  1:00pm  up 1 day, 14:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: tholenbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Tholenbot... we should have the Templetonbot. (was
Re: The "outlook" for kooks)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:21:49 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty (little rat)

> Eric Bennett wrote (using a Macintosh again):

Evidence, please.

> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Non sequitur, as no erroneous claims were made by me
> >
> > Your attempt to avoid admitting your lie by use of the passive voice is
> > ineffective, Marty.
>
> What alleged attempt to avoid admitting my alleged lie by use of the
> alleged
> passive voice?

Don't you know?  It's your attempt, Marty (little rat).

--
On what basis do you claim "this is the end, my only friend, the end"?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (david parsons)
Subject: Re: How many more viruses does Microsoft need to fix the problem?
Date: 18 May 2000 10:55:25 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tim Kelley  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The insecurities in M$ products also drives the anti-virus
>software industry, which iis more of a thoroughgoing monopoly

    Cartel, perhaps, not a monopoly -- I believe McAfee has
    the largest marketshare these days, but even after them
    buying Dr. Solomon it's still not more than about 60-70%
    of the market.

>Windows shills are quick to point out that linux may have these
>same problems too, if only it were more popular, but this is
>partly false for technical reasons, and partly false because once
>viruses became any sort of a problem on linux, a Free Software
>anti-virus solution would spring up, and it would make the crap
>people are forced to use under windows look like, well, crap.

    I suspect that virus detection is not quite as easy as you
    may think it is.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/  After porting McAfee's virus scanner to Linux
                   \/  (twice.  Ugh) I think that writing av programs
                        is one of those horrid things you have to pay
                                                        someone to do.

------------------------------

From: tholenbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Haakmatbot... we should have the Bergmanbot. (was Re:
The "outlook" for kooks)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:25:45 -0500

wrote:

> Gerben Bennett wrote (using a Haakmat again):
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
>
> Still having attribution problems?

More attribution problems?  How predictable.

> > > Incorrect.
> >
> > See what I mean?
>
> No.

Your failure to comprehend context was predictable.

> > > How predictable for you to expect me to jump to a conclusion about
> > > what
> > > "the job" is.
> >
> > Reading comprehension problems?
>
> Obviously not.

On the contrary.

> > I have not "jump"ed.
>
> I see that, lacking a logical argument, you resort to semantics.

What alleged "semantics"?

>  Gearing
> up
> to lose another argument, Eric?

How rich that you use this recently unused Tholenism right after I used
it.  Taking Tholenbotting lessons from tholenbot again, Marty (little
rat)?

> > > I'd prefer to stick to the facts.
> >
> > What you prefer is irrelevant.
>
> Incorrect, as my preference to turn down your offer to jump to a
> conclusion is
> quite sequitur to Pascal's entertainment.
>
> > What you can prove is relevant.
>
> Typical unsubstantiated and erroneous claim.

Why?

> For instance, I can prove
> that
> the product of 6 and 7 is equal to 42

Then prove it, if you think you can.

>, but this is hardly sequitur to
> this
> discussion.

Comprehend context.

> > > Haven't you been paying attention?
> >
> > How ironic.
>
> See what I mean?

No.

> > > Or have you been too busy making a new plan, Stan?
> >
> > Don't you know?
>
> Incorrect.

Non sequitur.

> > Meanwhile, I see that you continue to fail to call me Al.
>
> I see that you continue to fail to give me ten thousand dollars.

Irrelevant.  Meanwhile, I see that you continue to fail to call me Al.

> Just as
> there is no logical reason to do the latter, there is likewise no logical
> reason to do the former.

Typical inappropriate analogy.

> > On what basis do you claim "this is the end, my only friend, the end"?
>
> Yet more evidence of your reading comprehension problems.

Why?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Lee)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk
Date: 18 May 2000 17:34:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy, softrat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
| > Gunter writes:
| > > The Mafia is outlawed in the US of A.
| >
| > No organization is outlawed in the USA.
|
| Nonsense. Any organization which advocates the violent overthrow of the
| government is illegal, i.e., outlawed.

That's mostly incorrect.

Merely *advocating* violence against the government is not
illegal.  It falls under the protection on political free
speech, which is the most well protected kind of speech in
the U.S.

But an organization that has specific plans for violence
and which has accumulated manpower and weaponry for
carrying out those plans would certainly be in big trouble.
Also, it doesn't really matter whether the planned violence
was against the government or not.

      mikey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: HP-UX vs. Linux
Date: 18 May 2000 18:32:48 GMT

Ben Chaussé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> Do you know what is best between HP-UX and Linux.  We want to create a
> web server, and we would like to know what is best does two one ????

Both suck for high end web service.

Use solaris on sun hardware.

=====yttrx

From: Doug Alcorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:54:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

> >First, the Qt library _is_ now free.  Trolltech decided to license it
>
>       It's 'kinda' free. It's still owned by Trolltech.

OK, I stand corrected.  I really don't think their license is as free
as other licenses (although the Open Source Group.  With that said,
the ownership of the code as little to do with its freedom.  The
freedom is all in the license.  Ghostscript is a good example of free
software that is exclusively owned by Aladin Software.

>       The ultimate proof is in the ports: So where are those Be and Mac
>       versions?
>
>       Contributors are, afterall, the whole point of a Free licence.

Yea, here's where I think Qt license falls apart.  Basically,
TrollTech has made Qt free _only_ for Unix/X11.  All other platforms
must purchase the "Professional Edition".  I didn't see the source
code for Qt; however, they did talk about accepting patches.  That
means the source must be available somewhere.  So, this does classify
as allowing derived works; they just can only be distributed through
TrollTech.  Not exactly my idea of how free shoftware is supposed to
work.

So, what _was_ the name of that project to make a free version of Qt?
I thought it was sponsored by FSF.  I searched their page and didn't
find anything.

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Win a 66MB capacity tape drive. Help me win too!

------------------------------

From: dakota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:56:21 -0700

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ben
>=?iso-8859-1?Q?Chauss=E9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Do you know what is best between HP-UX and Linux.  We want to
>create a
>web server, and we would like to know what is best does two one
>????
>
>Thanks !
>
>BEn ...

If you want to stick with x86 hardware then go with Linux or
FreeBSD.

From: Prasanth Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:57:41 GMT

Doug Alcorn wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:
> > >
> > >First, the Qt library _is_ now free.  Trolltech decided to license it
> >
> >       It's 'kinda' free. It's still owned by Trolltech.
>
> OK, I stand corrected.  I really don't think their license is as free
> as other licenses (although the Open Source Group.  With that said,
> the ownership of the code as little to do with its freedom.  The
> freedom is all in the license.  Ghostscript is a good example of free
> software that is exclusively owned by Aladin Software.

Can you elaborate in what way the QPL is less free than the GPL?

--
Prasanth Kumar