From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how to configure corel linux boot to GUI?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 05:03:59 GMT

did any body know how to install corel linux to boot to GUI. When ever
i install corel linux, it boot to console every time. i try to
reinstall the corel linux, same problem appear.

Can somebody help me PLEASSSSSSSSE, thanks.

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 05:14:05 GMT

I got a new black and white cartridge for an NEC Superscript 150C today. I
also bought some (Winblows) cheque-cutting software. So, I installed the
cheque-cut-ware in Winblows, and started playing with the printer. OK, in
Winblows it works fine, and it will manufacture cheques. (cut checks)

Next, I played with QBASIC and the printer again works fine.

Now, the fun part. In DOS, I made a test text file (test.txt) and booted
up Linux. Using good old LPR to print with, I got this output:

Printing the DOS file in Linux, I get this:

2
3
4
5

testing printer.

Note that the DOS file has a 1 at the start which was not printed.

When printing with LPR the Linux test.txt file, I get.... THIS!

1
 2
  3
   4
    5
     test of printer.

Obviously I have one brain-dead printer! Even funnier, before I fired up
that cheque-cut-ware, any attempt to print from Linux just resulted in
formfeeding a blank page!

I guess I'll have to play around with C like how I once played around with
a Commodore's BASIC to hack a printer, like to find the graphics character
whereby the next byte is printed as binary with the ons and offs to make
graphics.

What does DOS use as a newline? Certainly not what UNIX uses as a newline
character in the original binary. I guess since I don't have money to
blow, I'll have to make this near-paperweight of a printer work.

Don't you just love brain-dead printers?

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

4968238 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

------------------------------

From: "Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 22:24:07 -0700

> The worst bug I've ever dealt with in my entire career was one where
> the X server slowly consumed system resources, brought the machine to
> its knees, and eventually crashed it. This was on a DEC workstation
> running Ultrix. This was the worst bug ever because it took like 6
> hours to reproduce it. It turned out that the X server's deep color
> image code had a mild memory leak. DEC denied the bug's existance. To
> fix it, we had to rewrite a major portion of our app to use only
> monochrome images, which it turned out was all we needed anyway. So
> the bug was a triple whammy: it took forever to figure out what the
> problem was, the fix was far from trivial, and it wasn't even our
> fault to begin with!
With excellent performance monitoring tools on NT/W2k it's easy to see if a process
leaks
memory or other resources. In Perfmon you can monitor peak, average, etc. values of
virtually any resource. Furthermore, Microsoft published APIs to allow ISVs to
instrument
their code; user/sysadmin will use the same tools to monitor performance data from 3rd
party applications and or device drivers as from MS-supplied apps.
Further developments in that area include WMI (which is MS version of industry standard
WBEM).

How many years/decades before mentally retarded shit (so called Linux developers) will
have such powerful tools at their disposal? All those crap-makers (samba, mamba, jumba,
etc.) are 30(?) years behind Windows NT/2000 technology-wise.

Boris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: PalmOS, Linux, and CodeWarrior
Date: 23 May 2000 22:24:34 -0700

>Is there anybody out there developing apps for PalmOS using Linux and/or
>CodeWarrior?

I have written a few GPL'd apps for the palm platform on Linux:

        http://palm.samiam.org

While Code Warrior exists for Linux, it does not have a Palm
cross-compiler.  In fact, it doesn't have a compiler--it is just an IDE
fron-tend for GCC.  Which, in a way, is a shame.

pgroup.com makes some commercial compilers for Linux.

- Sam

--
Please post, and not email, questions you have about my answers
Go to http://samiam.org/cgi-bin/mailme to get my email address

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 24 May 2000 05:40:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: The problem with ./configure;make;make install is that it has no
: dependency checking for upgrades and removals. I can't check what program

Eh? Some of us do make file lists for the software we install, you know!
I have no problems with dependencies.

(check out man find .. -cnewer, and mkpkg).

Peter

------------------------------

From: s@-
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 23 May 2000 21:55:32 -0700

In article <8gfhoj$3dt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter says...

>In comp.os.linux.misc John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>: How much sooner might those bugs have been fixed given a decent bug
>: tracking system?

>None for the interesting bugs. Report an interesting bug,

report? report?? How ?? That is the whole point of a bug tracking
system you moron, it is to HELP people know how to report bugs.

Not only that, there should be a defined way of what information
to report to help the developer. The bug tracking system
can ask for the correct information that might help the developer,
instead of sending email saying 'hello, kernel just hanged, why??'

>Boring bugs indeed will be forgotten.

The will be forgetten becuase there is no bug tracking system.
and no bug is boring. a bug is a bug. and how is to judge a
bug is 'boring' ?

>: I'm running 2.3.99 on dual PIII's with an Adaptec 7896 and having trouble
>: with sound: sending anything to /dev/dsp hangs the SCSI driver.  If there

>I believe that's known.

If there is a bug tracking system you do not have to guess. A user
can simply check, and find out right away.

>I've seen several threads go past on the scsi
>problem in 2.3.99 and above.  Doug's working on it.  Ask him!

who is Doug?? why would I care as user who is working on what? I simply
found a problem in Linux and I want to report it.

>EH? Why don't you mail the maintainer? That's debian practice too!

A bug tracking system will automatically do that for you. send automated
email to the developer(s) working on that part of the kernel.

>As you know, you might get Alan's interest on that one too. But 2.3.99
>has hundreds of bugs like that

Where is the list? without an official bug tracking system, this is
a very sloppy way of developing software.

> so it's not high priority yet. Make sure at least Doug knows about it.

Doug who?

/s

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: Linux fails - again
Date: 23 May 2000 22:53:16 -0700

>Odd that you don't just add the NFS patches, or run the VALinux
>kernel that includes them, or use amanda, or pipe the tar
>copies over rsh/ssh.

Where do you get the NFS patches?  Sorry to interupt this newsgroup with a
request for useful information.

As for the original post, Linux does a great number of things well.  NFS,
however, is not one of them.  There are far too many idiot Sun people who
try to run Linux in a NFS setup, have it not work well, and decide Linux
is completely worthless.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I personally prefer logical disk partition names ("hda" makes a lot more
sense than "c0t0d0s2"), having a decent Bash shell instead of the
brain-dead Bourne shell as Root's default shell (use something like Kiss
if you need a statically linked shell for libc updates), having a compiler
included with my OS (I thought UNIX was supposed to include a compiler,
Solaris weenies), having functional versions of all the GNU tools (the GNU
stuff included with Solaris 8 is not what I would call functional)
installed by default (though sunfreeware.com makes this part sorta
painless), and having an OS that doesn't break the bank (both in OS cost
and in better support for inexpensive hardware).

- Sam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 05:58:15 GMT

On Wed, 24 May 2000 05:14:05 GMT, Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When printing with LPR the Linux test.txt file, I get.... THIS!
>
>1
> 2
>  3
>   4
>    5
>     test of printer.

<SNIP>

>I guess I'll have to play around with C like how I once played around with
>a Commodore's BASIC to hack a printer, like to find the graphics character
>whereby the next byte is printed as binary with the ons and offs to make
>graphics.

It's called the "Staircase Effect".  Check out section 7.2 of The Linux
Printing HOWTO.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: Gnome, KDE, others....
Date: 23 May 2000 23:10:27 -0700

>Your machine would be faster if you ran windowmaker instead. :)

And even faster if it was running uwm!

For the uninformed out there, uwm is an ancient window manager for X11R2
from 1987 or so.  It has no virtual desktops, no drag and drop, no
themeing ability, in fact, the windows have no decorations at all.  None,
zero, zippo.  Basically, it has a crude-looking windows when you click on
the root, and some primitive keyboard controls to raise, lower, and move
windows.  The window manager, in fact, compiles and runs on a modern Linux
system after a few modifications are made.

I consider it the first generation of Unix GUIs.  The second generation,
starting from TWM, added window decorations, virtual desktops, intuititive
window moving and application launching, and so on.  FVWM is an example of
a second-generation Unix GUI.  KDE and Gnome are both third-generation
Unix GUIs.  We are finally getting a Mac-like interface, though seasoned
Mac users still consider KDE crude.

- Sam (posting this while using FVWM1, since my laptop does not have
       enough umph to run KDE)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 23 May 2000 22:29:55 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Do people really have trouble with ./configure, make, make install?
>> It has _never_ been a problem for me.  Maybe I am just lucky.  Even
>> though I changed my compiler, libc, and libtools.
>
>That precise process usually works out fine.  However, a number of
>these processes require manual modification of the Makefile or a
>custom configuration file.  I've also encountered several configure
>scripts that break, and when that happens, you're doomed to rewriting
>the Makefile by hand.  And there are still a few programs that just
>provide you with a grab-bag of Makefiles, and you get to pick which
>one you want.  Those are *always* disasters, but usually the Makefiles
>are at least short enough that fixing them isn't impossible.

Yow, you make it sound like brain surgery. I can count the number of
times that I had to hack Makefiles to get a program to make on the
fingers of one hand.  And multiple make files are a good thing if you
have to do special stuff to get a program to compile on a particular
system.  I'd rather there be three makefiles named:

Makefile.AIX
Makefile.Linux
Makefile.BSD

Than to have to edit a single Makefile to work.

--
dowe                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:45:51 -0500

Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 23 May 2000 15:14:18 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >I agree that MS put up a very weak defense, and in fact dropped the ball
on
> >things they should have prevailed on.  One reason might be that MS
> >intentionally set it up to be overturned.
>
> Wouldn't it have been easier to just win in the first place?  It would
> certainly be a lot less expensive.

Microsoft may have gotten the idea that the judge was biased against them,
and that they had no hope of getting a fair trial.

> It could be, you know, that they put up a weak defense because that's all
> they had.  Just maybe.

Time will tell.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:51:34 -0500

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Simone Paddock
> > O'Reilly & Associates
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > www.oreilly.com
>
> So what is the point of this? This is the "LINUX" advocacy group, not a
> Windows group. If you want to attract Windows users to read the book, go
> to the windows advocacy groups. The notion that we who use Linux and
> feel comfortable with it, simply need a Windows 9x in a nutshell book is
> insane. I know Windows, I have used every version of MS Windows ever
> made, and I mean that!! Go away, troll.

Did you even read the article?  The article is written FOR Linux users (as
is the book).

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 24 May 2000 06:37:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc s@- wrote:
: In article <8gfhoj$3dt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter says...
:>In comp.os.linux.misc John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>: How much sooner might those bugs have been fixed given a decent bug
:>: tracking system?

:>None for the interesting bugs. Report an interesting bug,

: report? report?? How ?? That is the whole point of a bug tracking
: system you moron, it is to HELP people know how to report bugs.

Tut tut. Who are you?

If you can't read the README in the kernel directory, or the BUG-HUNTING
document in the Document subdirectory, you're ot up to reading the www
page.  And then there is the MAINTAINERS file.

Now please go read the instructions ...

: Not only that, there should be a defined way of what information
: to report to help the developer. The bug tracking system

Oh, there is, there is.

: can ask for the correct information that might help the developer,
: instead of sending email saying 'hello, kernel just hanged, why??'

They will be shot.

:>Boring bugs indeed will be forgotten.

: The will be forgetten becuase there is no bug tracking system.

No, they'll be forgotten because they're boring. Nobody's being paid to
fix your boring bugs. You do it.

: and no bug is boring. a bug is a bug. and how is to judge a
: bug is 'boring' ?

I have no trouble. Believe me. Busy developers have even less trouble.

:>: with sound: sending anything to /dev/dsp hangs the SCSI driver.  If there

:>I believe that's known.

: If there is a bug tracking system you do not have to guess. A user
: can simply check, and find out right away.

I'm not guessing. And no, they can't find out. Apparantly you're an
idiot .. because you don't understand that a bug is not readily
identifiable from a bug report. (I just checked debians list for
a longstanding ifconfig/kernel bug that we have been working on with
L-K, and its not clear if it has been identified previously or not - I
think not, but the reports aren't clear enough to tell).

If I really want to be sure I'll ask the author implicated.

:>I've seen several threads go past on the scsi
:>problem in 2.3.99 and above.  Doug's working on it.  Ask him!

: who is Doug?? why would I care as user who is working on what? I simply
: found a problem in Linux and I want to report it.

Doug's the author and maintainer for the scsi driver you mentioned.
Look at the source.  There's his name and address.  Look at the
MAINTAINERS list, read linux-kernel ...

:>EH? Why don't you mail the maintainer? That's debian practice too!

: A bug tracking system will automatically do that for you. send automated
: email to the developer(s) working on that part of the kernel.

There's no need to.  You can mail him directly.  Cc the general kernel
list or the more specific linux-scsi list.

:>As you know, you might get Alan's interest on that one too. But 2.3.99
:>has hundreds of bugs like that

: Where is the list? without an official bug tracking system, this is
: a very sloppy way of developing software.

The list of things that WORK would be smaller!  The big flap for the
last 3 months has bee trying to get the memory balancing working enough
to let people run dd. A slight exaggeration, but that's the gist.

:> so it's not high priority yet. Make sure at least Doug knows about it.

: Doug who?

I'm sorry, my post was not addressed to you, as you can see from your
quotes. I addressed John, who is a debian maintainer, and who
knows who Doug is. Even if he didn't (which is very unlikely), he'd
be able to find out, because he can read the MAINTAINERS file and the
attributions in the source even if he couldn't avail himself of debians
own bugtrack system which points back to the upstream maintainer.

Are you honestly blind and deaf to the unending traffic on the kernel
lists?  I've received about a hundred mails in the last three hours.
Possibly.  What you are saying is that if you don't look, you don't see,
AND that ordinary users don't know how to look, so they don't see. Your
solution is an advertising gimmick - face it. It's a publicity stunt.

Nobody would actually mind having a bugtrack system. It just wouldn't
work. Communication via the lists and email is much faster and more
effective. THere are very few people capable of detecting a kernel
bug, and new bugs in stable releases are well below the communication
saturation rate for the kerel developers forums. Say three a week.
So the bottleneck that a bugtrack system seeks to resolve or impose
just isn't relevant.

If you think you have a bug, report it to the appropriate lists or to
the maintainer.  Most drivers have their own mail lists and web pages,
but generic areas of the kernel also have their own lists (such as
linux-mm and linux-fs and linux-scsi and ...).  There's a linux system
newsgroup nextdoor too!  Linus reads that.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:54:56 -0500

josco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Does it matter how they're spelled?
>
> Oh, yes.  Changing the spelling was your way to explain one of your lies.
>
> Your nonsense use of OLE2 and OLE1 assert these are different APIs, not
> different vesions of the same API, OLE.

Bullshit.  How it's spelled is of no relevance.

> > You seem to have the hangup about it, yet when you can't even bother to
> > spell a persons name right, it just makes you a hipocrite.
>
> No more than your misspelling "someone's" in your complaint makes you a
> hipocrite.

I'm not the one with the hangup.  In a different article you also spelled
undo as undue (as in "they can't undo").  You're the one that has the hardon
for spelling it correctly, not me.

> I'm correcting your chronic misuse and abuse of the OLE acronymn to
> justify a lie about OLE's origin. I think I made my point and won because
> you're on a new track - Erik.

Are you this incomprehensible outside of the internet as well?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:57:09 -0500

Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Did you run MS-DOS in the VDM?  Or were you using the OS/2 DOS?
>
> It requires OS/2's VDM (which is not a full implementation of DOS per se,
just
> a set of "device drivers" which vector calls back to OS/2 native calls).
If
> you attempted to run a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, booting up a
true
> MS-DOS session inside of OS/2, and then try to run Win3.1, if memory
serves
> me, it will only run in standard mode as it will try to grab control of
the
> A20 line in enhanced mode and fail due to protection.  Karel, can you
verify
> this?
>
> OS/2's VDM, however, handles it perfectly.  Actually, come to think of it,
if
> you load up the supplementary drivers in the VMB session, like
> x:\os2\mdos\himem.sys (which is 445 bytes and only contains code to vector
> back to OS/2 system calls), it may work in the VMB session.

Hmm.. interesting.  Windows requires a different version of himem.sys than
the DOS version.  That means you are replacing windows distribution files
with OS/2 versions in order to make it work, which is not what was claimed
(that retail unmodified Windows 3.1 ran in a VDM).

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rdram:  WIll is speed up a linux box?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 02:00:40 -0500

Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 23 May 2000 12:25:13 -0500, john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >I have been in the market recently for a computer.  Should I get one
> >with rdram it I want to run Linux?  Will it be worth the extra cost?
>
> Most likely no.  As it stands today RDRAM really doesn't perform much
better
> than SDRAM (and in some cases worse).  Consider taking the money you would
> have spent on RDRAM and spend it on a better HD subsystem or maybe a
faster
> processor or even 3-5x more SDRAM.

The problem with RDRAM is that it's being used like SDRAM for the most part.
Implementations of the RDRAM bus such as the i840's where it uses dual RDRAM
channel access give a big boost.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Subject: Re: how to configure corel linux boot to GUI?
Date: 24 May 2000 07:08:02 GMT

>did any body know how to install corel linux to boot to GUI. When ever
>i install corel linux, it boot to console every time. i try to
>reinstall the corel linux, same problem appear.
>
>Can somebody help me PLEASSSSSSSSE, thanks.

Look at the file /etc/inittab.

If you're lucky, it's documented.  There should be a line saying something like

id:3:initdefault

(It may be punctuated slightly differently, and the number may vary)

The file may indicate which runlevel number starts X automatically (look for
words like X or xdm or kdm), and replace the number in the 'initdefault' line
(the '3' in my example) with its number.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.