From: "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA question
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 05:33:32 GMT

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Camilo Rostoker wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay,
> > > I won't ask how to set up SAMBA, because I've seen too many other
people
> > > plead like that.  rather, a more specific question.  In the manual it
> > > says to force  Windows 95/85 to use unencrypted passwords to set a
> > > registry setting in ...../VxD/services/
> > > and put in a new DWORD, with name=UsePlainTextPassword, and
value=0x01.
> > > My question is that when I get asked to enter the value, do I put in
> > > exactly 01, so that the final binary digit is similar to 0x0000001, or
> > > do i put in 10000 so that the binary digit is 0x010000 ??  Any help on
> > > getting this to work?
> > > Cheers,
> > > Camilo
> >
> > Enter 1.
>
> Isn't Windows *easy* to use?  :)

The easyer method is to uncomment 2 line in samba config. file
 /etc/smb.conf ) to use encrypt password ( just delete 2 ; ) and it's going
to work and with encrypt password.

------------------------------

From: "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & Winmodem
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 05:39:14 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
8hp4im$l9h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi all
>
> A quick question: I'm thinking of trying out Linux (probably SuSE), but
> I have a US Robotics Winmodem.  I know it is incompatible, but is it
> still worthwhile running a dual Windows (for internet) and Linux
> system - or does that kind of miss the point?
>
> Any advice gratefully received.

It's better to have access to internet. But you can learn without internet
access.
You can go to a used part shop and get an isa 56k modem compatible with
Linux. Used hardware modem may cost ~30 can$ and a winmodem is 30 can$.
 ~20$ US )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 9 Jun 2000 00:34:25 -0500

In article <kvL%4.644$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Daniel Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The Halloween document specifies *improved* products.

The goal was to:
  "De-commoditize protocols & applications"
not improve them.  Improving them would be to make them even
more open and thus more widely useful.

>And "dumping" *is* an improvement for the customers; it's
>rather inconvinient for competitors, but they can cope.

The improvement is temporary as the innovations of the
defunct competitors disappear.

>I have, for instance, no doubt that Microsoft will rise to the
>challen of Linux, even though Linux is clearly being dumped
>into Windows NT's market.

Dumping, by definition, is to sell below cost of production.
Something built by volunteers doesn't have an associated cost.

>MS can't hope to undercut Linux
>on pricing and still make money, but that doesn't mean they
>have to give up.

They don't have to concentrate on 'de-commoditizing' either.
But I don't expect them to stop.

>> Because WINE isn't complete yet to allow an easy transition
>> away while keeping some legacy apps working.
>
>Hmmm.
>
>If Linux had had perfect Windows emulator, would *you* use
>it? It would mean using Windows apps, after all.

There are some nice innovative Windows apps, like Visio, for
example.  And my kids sometimes need to do PowerPoint presentations
for school.  But, of course the real need is to match up
exactly with those 'de-commoditized' file formats and protocols.

>> The double standard has to do with their size and impact
>> on everyone.  We need the same protection from their
>> whims that we have with communications carriers - interfaces
>> that follow standards.
>
>Their competitors need protection; they can't seem to keep up.
>The rest of us don't.

People who would like to have a choice need protection.

>> For the subset of software that runs under Windows.
>
>Well,  yes. You can't expect such standardization to be
>cross platform, after all. Had Windows standardized
>on PostScript, that would have done zip for anyone else.

Then there would be one popular abstraction, one popular scalable
font type, etc. with multiple implementations.  If someone built
a 'Winprinter' with a postscript engine it wouldn't be 'de-commoditized'
to a point where it was impossible to use without buying a specific
OS.

>> Some individual users with one computer and one printer have
>> done that.  Offices tend to have a mix and the diversity
>> is growing.
>
>More precisely, they have a mix of printers (and other accessories)
>but they tend to be mostly Windows, because by doing so their
>mix of hardware works.

A more accurate way to express that is that it is difficult
to use windows with anything else.  And the Halloween document
makes it clear (as if we didn't already know) that it is
intentional.

>> >Really. What word processing competitor was Word 97
>> >supposed to kill?
>>
>> All of the other old systems, including word95.  The money
>> for the upgrade version is the same color as a brand new
>> copy.
>
>So why doesn't this apply to Windows 2000? Why doesn't
>MS want to kill "all the other old systems, including Windows 97?"

They probably haven't finished counting the money from the last
round yet.

>[snip]
>> >Perhaps you should fix the system. I realize you may presume
>> >that Windows systems *cannot* be made to work, so you
>> >don't try. But those with more, erm, optimism sometimes do
>> >make the fool thing work.
>>
>> I'm not presuming anything about the system.  I'm observing
>> it.  It does seem healthier on a bigger disk.
>
>Well, okay, why don't you fix it? Is somebody else tasked
>with that at your organization?

This is a personal machine that dual-boots.  Now it spends most
of its time running Linux.

>> It is only Microsoft that I've given up on.
>
>You seem to have taken it to the point that you cannot
>be convinced, even in princinple that MS documents
>anything because you refuse to accept the documentation
>itself as evidence on that point.
>
>This is a pretty extreme position.

I have found useful bits of information in the MS knowledge base
but it is extremely painful.  For example the first time I
tried to set up WLBS where a pair of NT boxes shared an IP
address for load balancing, it didn't work.  The best I could
find in the knowledge base went approximately: "if it doesn't
work try a different NIC".  Turned out to be correct, but there
was no list of which ones work or don't work, or why.  I got the
feeling I was sprinkling chicken blood around at midnight to ward off
the daemons.

>[snip]  (the set up MSN icon)
>> It says 'you cannot move or copy this item ... '  and offers
>> to create a shortcut instead.  I just want it out of the
>> way.
>
>Perhaps I misremembered it. It's been awhile since I had
>to install honest-to-gawd Windows 95.

This is a fresh-from-Dell preinstalled Win98SE, I assume still
with the Microsoft-dictated desktop that the hardware vendors
are (were?) prohibited from altering.

>You'll noticed that MS did eventually drop that icon.

It's back, if it ever did go away.  Unlike the others, it
doesn't have any properties.  I think I can delete it but
it won't go to the recycle bin so it's a one-way trip.

>> The other thing I'd like is to drag a folder onto the
>> toolbar and have it turn into a popup menu like it does
>> in KDE.
>
>A menu but not the start menu? Windows does not have
>that feature.

Too bad.  It does let you drop a folder there but it
wants to make everthing in it visible.  If you nest it
inside another folder it comes close to what I wanted,
just not as neat as KDE.  In KDE the contents appear
as a menu-like popup when you click the toolbar icon.
In Win98 with a nested folder, clicking the icon opens
the inner folder out on the desktop.

>>  That way the folder of most-used things can
>> be copied around among machines without fiddling with the
>> details of the rest of the menu structure and it is
>> available both on the desktop and the toolbar.
>
>I don't see why fiddling the details of the toolbar is
>preferable to fiddling those of the start menu, and I don't
>understand how putting something on the toolbar
>means its is also available on the desktop.

There is just way to much junk on the desktop and in the
program menu to find anything (especially if you test
a lot of programs, let the kids load games, etc.) I want
a dozen or so things that I can find quickly.  Putting the
icons in a folder on the desktop gives a reasonable isolation
and lets you duplicate the set of choices onto another machine
by copying the folder around.  But, it is not really handy
to use there because the desktop is usually obscured and you
have to double-click to open that folder before even seeing what
you want.  With KDE the only extra fiddling is to drag a copy
of the folder to the toolbar and it becomes a handy popup where
one click/drag starts any of the items.

>No, Windows just doesn't have the feature you are
>looking for.

How do you get a handy set of 'your' items isolated from the rest?
And after you do it, can you copy to another machine?

>[snip]
>> >Well, I'm not sure. Replacing the phones with identical phones
>> >is probably cheaper, 'tis true. But replacing them with
>> >substantially better phones?
>>
>> The issue is whether a single company should be allowed to
>> force this.  Politically, phone companies can't.
>
>No company can force this; that is just your fantasy.

No, my fantasies are much more fun than dealing with monopolies.

>You might know if you read the manual, but it came from
>Microsoft, so it is Chock Full o' Lies (tm), no doubt.

I like that!

>> >Surely.
>>
>> They must be living in isolation somewhere.
>
>Not really; they just aren't using it as an internet protocol,
>which is probably wise since it isn't a very good one.
>
>There are lots of people out there who use it as a
>*word processor*, for which task it actually is pretty
>decent.

But people work together, and you can hardly buy a computer
that does not have the current version of Word on it - it
is even in the Works package now.  So - sooner or later you
end up needing a program that will match.

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:44:40 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8hp4k7$la6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi all
>
> A quick question: I'm thinking of trying out Linux (probably SuSE), but
> I have a US Robotics Winmodem.  I know it is incompatible, but is it
> still worthwhile running a dual Windows (for internet) and Linux
> system - or does that kind of miss the point?
>
> Any advice gratefully received.

Go for it. If you find something you need to download for GNU/Linux, you can
always download in Windows and then grab it from your Windows partition in
GNU/Linux. I did that for a long time until I got a compatible modem.

There is a lot in GNU/Linux that doesn't rely on an internet connection.

Welcom to GNU/Linux!

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where are all the astroturfers?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:49:57 -0500

Why is it that every time Microsoft has a big setback, the steady-state
level of astroturfing here drops almost to nothing for a few days?  Do
they all get called back to Redmond for a strategy meeting or
something?  Did Bill fire them for failing to influence the outcome?
Are they hurriedly trying to learn something besides VB to put on there
resumes?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just  Installed Win 2K and it ROCKS!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:58:21 -0700

> Linux has been assimilated, resistance is futile.
>
> God, after using Linux for the last few months and now installing
> Windows 2k it is like jumping in a time machine and going 10 years
> into the future.

Really? What's new in Windows 2000 that makes you feel this way?

> Win 2k installed so easily while Linux is asking me questions about
> Monitor refresh rates and giving me a list of 1985 variety printers to
> choose from.

Yes, using a fringe OS does have its minuses...but we are doing pretty good
for having virtually no vendor support. But you probably only care about
results...

> Does anyone really use an HP LaserJet 500 anymore?
>
> How about Sound Blaster Live support?
>
> Linux had the jump on Windows 2k, yet Windows 2k has Livewire support
> and Linux does not.
>
> Why is that?

What is Livewire and why should we need it?

> Maybe Creative knows the future and is applying it's resources
> appropriately.
>
> Sorry, but Linux is a bunch of promises and Windows 2k delivers right
> now on the spot.

What promises? GNU/Linux exists *now*. What have you been promised and by
whom?

> Linux will die shortly and WIndows will live on and on and on and
> on......

The developer and vendor rights of GNU/Linux are distributed to each of its
users while such are rights for Windows are left to one company. It seems
that only the reverse can happen.

I am glad you are happy with Windows 2000. I am also happy that Windows 2000
offers improvements from previous versions. But Microsoft still retains
exclusive rights to source code, modification, and distribution. For these
reasons among many others, I am keeping with the GNU/Linux operating system.
Besides, I already know my monitor refresh rates...

Best Regards,
Kevin Holmes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux is so stable...
Date: 9 Jun 2000 14:02:08 +0800

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:59:35 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>No-Spam (Terry Porter) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Its simple, "Goodwin" is just another Wintroll. He is currently going
>>thru the same steps most Wintrols do.
>
>Another with a blind spot. Does Linux rot the brain?
Goodwin is at Wintroll stage 2 now, insult the poster.

>>Currently he's at the "pure of heart, Windows using, Linux fault finding
>>stage"
>
>You've seen it all before have you? You've prejudged it all, you've heard
>it all... if ever I heard someone with a mind closed, you're it.
See above.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 9 Jun 2000 14:03:31 +0800

On 8 Jun 2000 08:17:30 GMT,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>     Not at all. I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt for
>>     awhile. It was only until you started making grossly false
>>     claims about very basic UI elements that I assumed the worse.
>
>You called me a liar on more than one occaison. Funny, as I keep saying,
>I'm not lying now and I wasn't lying then.

Me thinks Goodwin protesteth too much.

Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault?
Date: 9 Jun 2000 14:09:06 +0800

On 7 Jun 2000 13:34:33 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Camilo Rostoker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Everytime I try to view my processes, ie: ps , I get a segmentation
>>fault...Any ideas whats wrong?
>>camilo
>
>If you have to ask that question, I'd recommend that you reinstall
>completely from a recent version of a popular distribution.
>
>  Les Mikesell
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think what Leslie is saying here, is that you may have been CRACKED, and your
inability to see what processes are running, prohibits you from knowing to what
use your system is being put.

Its common for a cracker to replace "ps" with a cracked one, so the crackers
running processes don't show.

If you have been cracked, you will need to completly re install, as this wont
be the only area touched.

Kind Regards
Terry

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:39:24 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, nohow
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:05:18 -0400, Jack Troughton
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Bob Germer wrote:
>>>
>>> On 06/07/2000 at 03:43 PM,
>>>    Jack Troughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>>>
>[snip]

>>> I saw the signs to the major E-W highway listing nord, sud, est, ouest.
>>> saw the signs for exits in both languages, services in both languages,
>>> while driving from Vancouver to Calgary in 1995.
>>
>>Sure you did. I'd refer you to another post in this thread from Alan
>>Baker, a Vancouverite. You are talking bullshit about which you know
>>nothing again, Bob.
>>

>If memory serves me correctly I pretty sure that, even in the west,
>along the trans-Canada there are some bilingual signs. The use of
>french is virtually non-existent in Vancouver

There may once have been such signs, but if there are any there, I
certainly haven't noticed them in the past 5 years.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:33:59 -0700

In article <393fb36f$10$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Germer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 06/07/2000 at 02:03 PM,
>   Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>> Excuse me? Excel is currently a _very_ valid choice for businesses; it's
>>  the one most are using and the Mac version is file-compatible with the
>> version that most businesses choose (with some limitations since Office
>> 2000, granted) and given that you can get client software to run a Mac
>> on an 98/NT/2K network, or a Novell network there's really no problem
>> using a Mac at such businesses.
>
>I took part in a demonstration at a unit of Lockheed Martin. I loaded
>1-2-3 for Windows on a high end Pentium II and a rather large spreadsheet.
>We then tried to save it in Excel format. It "exceeds the limits of an
>Excel spreadsheet" or words to that effect. The MS salesman loaded Excel
>for NT. He tried to import it. Too large.
>
>L-M is now a 1-2-3 shop.

Tell you what: you're such a genius about these things how's about you
send me the largest spreadsheet that _you_ use. After all, you were
insisting the Excel wasn't good enough for you.

Save it out as Excel 97 (which is file compatible with the Mac version)
and I'll see if my copy of Excel can open it.