Linux-Advocacy Digest #75, Volume #27            Wed, 14 Jun 00 15:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux faster than Windows? (Stefan Ohlsson)
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Josiah Fizer)
  Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes (Alan Baker)
  Re: Run Linux on your desktop?  Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy  lies....
(WhyteWolf)
  Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux in the Reject Bin at CompUSA (Alan Pilcher)
  Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Run Linux on your desktop? Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy lies....
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why not West Papua ? was: Canada invites Microsoft north now we are really waya
way OT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Jim)
  Re: Just  Installed Win 2K and it ROCKS!!!!!!! (Alan Pilcher)
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Alan Baker)
  What is the proper newsgroup for Linux networking questions? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: G4 in space! (2:1)
  Re: Linux in the Reject Bin at CompUSA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Re: Linux faster than Windows?
Date: 14 Jun 2000 20:04:01 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:
>The windows version I allowed to render to the screen; the Linux version I
>deliberately switched off that feature, thereby giving Linux a slight edge.
>Even still it ran slower than the Windows version.

Yes I know, you said so in the earlier post.

>Both versions were V3.1g - built by the POV team themselves.

Hmm, well then they should be equally optimized. But we can't be sure
until one source is compiled for both systems. Indeed the rendering code
might be just that, but that is not known.

>>For a fair test, find a version of povray and compile it yourself for
>>both machines. That way there are no hiddens/unknowns that can skew the
>>test. (except for compiler differences)
>I've been thinking of doing just that. I've got the sources so I could go
>ahead and build a version for Windows and one for Linux.
>
>However, I found that POVray website has a link to POV benchmarks. The
>results there are _very_ interesting. The faster single CPU systems are all
>Windows, with Linux way down the list.

I wonder if I found the same site as you, but I had to scroll down a page
to find Windows. One interesting result is (single cpu):
Athlon 600 MHz, RedHat, PovMark: 400.00
Athlon 700 MHz, W98se,  PovMark: 411.11
Then there's:
Athlon 650 MHz, Linux, PovMark: 400.00
Athlon 800 MHz, Win98, PovMark: 400.00

These benchmarks seem to tell the opposite story..

>>Also, make sure no other more or less time-consuming tasks are running
>>on either system.
>When I ran the test there was nothing else running.

On Linux there's always lots of things running, but they shouldn't take much
time at all. But to be on the safe side, use "nice" to increase the priority
of pov. On Windows, make sure its window is selected.

>>An interesting test would be to run 4 or 5 (or more) concurrent povray
>>sessions and see how good the systems are in the taskswitching
>>department.
>That's not how you would normally run POVray!

No, but it's an interesting test nevertheless.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ · [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

sleep 10m ; cat /dev/null >/dev/kmem;

------------------------------

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:05:15 -0700

Jim wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Josiah Fizer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "People like me"? Ah I see, so you can look deep into my soul and
> > know what it is I like and want with out me giveing voice to my
> > desire. I guess you would never have thought I could like BOTH the
> > GUI and the CLI.
>
> Maybe he thinks of you as an icon?   ;-)

Can I be the Moof icon?

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:08:50 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:18:49 -0700, Alan Baker
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <8i88mv$hjn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, James Lee
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>because they never read the error message from the mount command?  What
>>>is the option errors=<action> for (ext2), if people don't bother to use
>>>it?
>>>
>>>If you try and mount and it was not successful, it tells you that.
>>>Ignore it at your own peril.
>>>
>>>Secondly, shouldn't your mount points have the proper permissions to
>>>allow only root to write to it? Everyone else just gets the proper
>>>permissions after the mount?
>>
>>All this doesn't deny the possibility of user error and the extremely
>>ungraceful recovery that would then be necessary.
>>
>>Here's a hint: any time you have to justify a system's (any system's)
>>behaviour with something like: "well the user will just have to avoid
>>that" there's something wrong with the system.
>
>       Normally, the features inherent in the system should prevent
>       such a "disaster" from ever happening. As far as doing stupid
>       things as the SuperUser: no system does or ever should prevent
>       that sort of thing.
>
>       Some tools are powerful by design and by necessity and should
>       be treated accordingly.
>
>       Plus, that "disaster scenario" can actually be put to good use.
>
>       Besides, what's so 'ungraceful' about merely moving those files
>       back. You make it sound like end users never mistakenly put files
>       in the wrong place with other interfaces and infastructure.

Into a place where they can no longer be found (as is the case once the
mount point is reattached)?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (WhyteWolf)
Subject: Re: Run Linux on your desktop?  Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy  lies....
Date: 14 Jun 2000 17:53:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martijn Bruns wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:

[sniped the simple simon]

>Talk about ISP's.
>I just made a homepage, and it had a false link in it. (I use a
>plain-text editor :-) )
>It looks like my ISP is using Apache/1.3.12! I wonder which OS
>they use it with.

oh it gets better then that ... all of the ISP's he mentioned
use a UNIX and Apache combo ... one of them even used
Red Hat Linux

--
-=-=-=-=-
The sun was shining on the sea,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:20 GMT

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>FAX modems just don't work on UNIX.

Really? You should inform Gert Doering that he has been wasting his time on
the "mgetty+sendfax" package.....

Bernie

P.S.: I don't often say this on Usenet, but you *really* need to get a spell
      checker!

--
If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens,
    how incapable must Man be of learning from experience

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:22 GMT

Tiberious <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Of course there will always be some command line nut who will conjure
>up some oddball application where he needs 200 scans re-scanned
>multiple times in succession. Command lines were made just for
>yahoo's like that.

Excuse me for living, but --- in all the time I have owned and used
scanners, I have *never* used them for any job where the multitude
of mouse clicks and the manual editing of filenames required under
Windows was attractive. Of course, not everyone has written OCR software
on a C64....
But seriously --- what do you *do* with your scanner that could not be
done more efficiently under linux? You can assume that the scanner installs
and runs just fine.

>3. Semantic games are played on the word superior. Well in this case it
>works great under Windows,

No, sorry, I have to disagree. Yes, it works somewhat under Windows. It
is far from working "great".

You know, I'll illustrate the difference for you with another example.
I happen to own a couple of Iomega Buz MJPEG cards. At one point, I actually
went and installed the Windows software that came with them --- and quickly
understood why the Buz has been discontinued as a Windows-PC product. The
drivers crashed, and the software was crap, and didn't even do what it was
supposed to do.
However, that's not the point. Even assuming the software actually did what
it was supposed to do, and the drivers were stable, all I could have done
would have been to click my way through menus to record MJPEG AVIs of limited
size (due to the 2G file limit). No way to automate anything.
In reality, these two Buz cards live in a machine in my lounge room. One is
hooked up to an external video tuner, which has its channel switched under
the computer's control. Recording is completely automated, and started by
the cron daemon. If the space on the (43GB RAID) disk runs out, the oldest
files get deleted to make room for the new ones. Each Thursday evening,
Sofcom.au sends me an email containing my personalized TV guide for the
next week, which is parsed by a small custom application, allows me to choose
which shows I want to record (and it knows about my regular shows, of course),
points out any conflicts, and writes a new crontab for the coming week.

The second Buz is hooked up to the TV (via the VCR, so I can record Buz'ed
stuff), and offers an on-screen menu giving me access to all the recorded
video. Access is instant, of course, and during playback, an extreme level
of control exists (including a "skip 29 seconds" button for ads ;-). The
whole thing is controlled via an IR remote hooked up to a BT848 card.

Once that infrastructure was in place, it only made sense to use it for
other stuff, too. So when not playing back video, the machine plays back
random MP3s --- and shows the current and next title on an LC display,
which has two buttons attached to skip and choose. I can also select my
answering machine messages from the on-screen menu, and play them back
right there, even though they were recorded on a different machine. But
the "screen saver" for that menu is the CD-cover of the MP3 currently
being plaid.

Now *that* is the kind of use *I* want to get out of a computer. Things
working together in an efficient manner. If you don't mind having to
babysit your machine through procedures that should be automated, fine,
more power to you. But *I* don't like wasting my time that way. *I* want
to sit down in my lounge room at 4am, press one button, and get a complete
list of shows recorded in the last few days. *I* want to be able to
select any of those shows without having to get up, pick a tape, or do
anything else.

>and in fact I can walk into any computer supermarket chain store and
>pick up virtually ANY piece of hardware or software and assuming it
>is not for Mac, or one of the 10 odd pieces of Linux garbage they
>actually stock, it will work under Windows.

But *how* do they work? Most things don't work the way I want them to.

Bernie
--
Nothing is illegal if one hundred well-place business men decide to
    do it

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>No it's not. I can stream 48 tracks of digital audio with full FFT
>based effects under WIndows 98SE without a hic-up. My scanner/printer
>is supported under Windows, just like 99 percent of every peice of
>hardware out on the market.

Now try using that scanner/printer combo while streaming those 48 tracks ;-)

Still convinced that a parallel port scanner was such a hot idea?

Can you even print while you scan?

Bernie
--
The chief distinction of a diplomat is that he can say no in such
    a way that it sounds like yes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:00:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:

>>      Nope, slow hacks are simply not appreciated by those of us that
>>      have any understanding of the technology or interest in quality.

>Crap only to the small number of Linux users that can't use them. The
>rest of the world, 90 percent or so, are doing quite nicely using them
>under Windows.

Until that fabled "upgrade path" comes around, and your new version of
Windows uses a different driver model from your old version. At that
point, you often end up with just a whole bunch of expensive techno
junk, where before you had what you considered a "modem" or a "page
printer".

And due to the lack of protocol documentation and/or driver source,
you can't even hack something up yourself.

Bernie

--
You see things, and you say 'Why?'  But I dream things that never were,
    and say 'Why not?'

------------------------------

From: Alan Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux in the Reject Bin at CompUSA
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:17:12 -0400

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 00:01:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Yep, just visited the local CompUSA here and found
>Redhat/SuSE and the various Linux PowerPacks in
>the reject bin selling for $20.00 or less (mostly
>$9.99).

Interesting.  Compare with my experience at CompUSA on Saturday, 10
June 2000.  This was the store in Duluth, Georgia.  I roamed the store
looking for Linux and the Windows 2000 Upgrade.  I couldn't find W2000
AT ALL but sure found Linux.  In the middle of the software section on
an isle labeled "Operating Systems".  One end cap and half of an isle
were devoted to the Various Linux Distributions.  THey had several
flavors of Mandrake, two levels of Corel Linux, Caldera, Suse and a
couple of others the names of which escape me at the moment.  Still
couldn't find W2000, Full or Upgrade or Win NT 4.0.  Finally cornered
an employee in a red shirt and asked where Win2000 was.  He said, "Ask
for it at the Parts Department counter.".  I strolled back across the
store to the Parts Department window and asked the guy if they had
Windows 2000, Full or Upgrade.  He said they did and disappeared into
the back, out of site.  In 30 seconds or so he returned with the
Win2000 Upgrade and plopped it on the counter.  I decided not to buy
after learning the price.  Went back and bought Mandrake 7.0 Deluxe,
my first foray into the Linux world.

I don't know how you square the very different pictures presented by
the original poster and myself.  I'd suggest that the original
poster's great leap to a negative conclusion after visiting only one
CompUSA store was probably wish fulfillment on his part.

Happy Trails,
Alan Pilcher

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) writes:

>Now, has PNG format taken off yet to replace GIF? Hmmm? Actually, no it
>hasn't. How many web pages use PNG? Can't really can they - the two most
>common browsers don't actively support PNG format yet.

Huh? Please don't tell me you are *that* much out of touch.

IE5 --- loads my PNGs just fine (running on a 16 colour screen on my
        IBM PS/2 Model85)
NS4.7 --- loads my PNGs just fine (running under linux)
Opera4 --- loads my PNGs just fine (running on the same Windows machine)
lynx2.7.1 --- spawns the 1997 copy of xv just fine, which displays PNGs
              just fine

So what *are* the two most common browsers, if not IE, NS, Opera or lynx?

Bernie
--
Ah well! I am their leader, I really had to follow them!
A.A. Ledru-Rollin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:26 GMT

Martijn Bruns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>It looks like my ISP is using Apache/1.3.12! I wonder which OS
>they use it with.

    # telnet www.uniware.nlTrying 195.86.26.145...
    Connected to www.uniware.nl.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    FreeBSD (webster.wirehub.nl) (ttyp0)

    login:

Does that answer the question?

Bernie

--
Wherever books will be burned, men also, in the end, are burned
Heinrich Heine

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why not West Papua ? was: Canada invites Microsoft north now we are
really waya way OT
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard A Crane) writes:

>As for the comment about Australian housing and food costs I
>add that it varies quite a bit throughtout Australia - viz
>Bob Germer's complaint about the price of petrol - I wonder
>what he'd think of Aus Dollars $1.50 per litre (and yes I
>have seen these prices in Australia - and if you didn't like
>it well the next servo was only 640Kms away so I guess you
>could buy it there!)

Now, let's *also* point out that many people around here are currently
very concerned because petrol hovers in the A$0.80 to A$0.85 per
litre range in the capital cities --- which is, after all, where the
vast majority of Australians live.

I don't doubt that you can find some servo out woop-woop, in the middle
of the outback, that will charge exorbitant prices --- but then, you also
have to consider their turnover and their transport costs.

Now, *Germany* has recently jumped the US$1/litre mark, everywhere. *That*
makes you think twice about buying that gas-guzzling "SUV", especially since
the rego cost also depends on the car's fuel consumption....

Bernie
--
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
    would it?

------------------------------

From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: 14 Jun 2000 14:16:04 EDT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:

>       Lets review that history. After 15 years of relative stagnation
>       in GUI interfaces, they have still yet to completely replace the
>       previous paradigm in terms of functionality.
>
>       Much of this seems to be due less to the inherent potential of the
>       GUI and more the tendency of GUI boosters to run away from CLI's
>       screaming.

Nah. It's just that we're lazy bastards and GUI's get the job done with
much less effort.

--
Jim Naylor

From: Alan Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just  Installed Win 2K and it ROCKS!!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:23:42 -0400

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 00:34:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Linux has been assimilated, resistance is futile.

I suspect, my churlish, juvenile friend, it is you who have been
assimilated.  Why else would you spend precious time being obnoxious
to no apparant purpose in a news group devoted to a topic to which you
are so obviously hostile?

Regards,
Alan Pilcher

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:28:03 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Josiah Fizer
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >So tell me o' enlightened one. What GUI concept allows for multi level
>> >piping?
>>
>> I don't know, but I _do_ know that before there was a GUI people like
>> you were convinced that nothing could improve _any_ aspect of computing
>> with a CLI. Even after the Mac came out, people like you were telling
>> everyone how GUIs were for wimps, etc.
>>
>> All I'm saying is that making broad statements about what can or can't
>> be done with a computer is a pretty silly exercise given the history of
>> them to this point.
>>

>"People like me"? Ah I see, so you can look deep into my soul and know
>what it is
>I like and want with out me giveing voice to my desire. I guess you would
>never
>have thought I could like BOTH the GUI and the CLI.

It has nothing to do with like or dislike. It has everything to do with
lack of vision.

I didn't say people _such as_ you. I said _like_ you. That explicitly
excludes you from the group.

They are like you in that they were so sure they understood what was
possible and so they "knew" nothing better could come along.

>> >The only thing I can think of is multi layered dragging of objects,
>> >each
>> >of which
>> >carry over the properties of the previous objects. However that would
>> >still be way
>> >more complex then 'command' | 'grep' | 'second command'. Bottom line is
>> >that
>> >clicking buttons and dragging stuff is slower. Here, I'll give you an
>> >easy
>> >one.
>> >"rm -R *.tmp" how long would that take to do in a GUI?
>>
>> How about a text entry box at the top of the window which lets you type
>> in *.tmp followed by the keyboard shortcut for delete? How about an
>> option to sort by filename in reverse order (the filename in reverse
>> that is) so that the window sorts "*.tmp" as "pmt.*" then clicking on
>> the first and shift-clicking on the last?
>>
>> That's two right off the cuff.
>>

>The first one is a command line interface in a window. The second would
>not be
>faster then a command line.

Nope. The first is a box for defining a filter for a window. I lifted
the idea straight from MT-Newswatcher 3.0 which has such a box at the
top of its Full Group list windows.

In the second, for the sake of argument:

Control-click (or right-click) file column, select "Sort names
backwards" or maybe "Sort by extension" (Of course on the Mac, since we
use file type and creator instead of filename extensions, we can just
explicitly sort on the "Kind" column).

Click first.

Shift-click last.

Delete.

Or how about:

Right-click (or control-click; trying to be platform-neutral here <G>)
and select something like "Select all of this type" from contextual
menu. This one's so nice, I should almost learn Mac coding again to
write it. Although I could probably do it with AppleScript and a CMM
(Contextual Menu Manager) plug-in that let's you run Applescripts. ;-)

But my point is that to just declare that the GUI will _never_ be able
to do this or that is just foolish. Computers are still changing far too
much to make such definitive statements of what they're capabilities are
or are not.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: What is the proper newsgroup for Linux networking questions?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:15:10 GMT

I want to post on topic and I'm really excited
about getting networking to function on my Linux
computer.  I have some questions and would like
to solicit help from the guru's in a newsgroup.
What is the best list of groups to post for these
questions?

It's all related to my TCP/IP setup, I'm pretty
sure of that.  To whom should I ask questions
about this?

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: G4 in space!
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 19:32:17 +0100

> My apology. I missed a reference to the article. But this is so much fun
> that I'll save a read for after the fact, thank you. But surely you know
> that _any_ manufacturer would provide HW & tech support, probably
> jumping at the chance to do it gratis. And surely you also know what a
> miniscule part of the overall system cost that would represent,
> especially relative to the exposure.

Yes, the processor et al costs little. $5000 for top of the range can't
get better than this anywhere mac, as opposed to $n million of the
satellite.  I just thought that by using a really low poeer processor,
it could reduce the amount needed to supply the required power. Since
weight is very expensive (for staellites) it would be a lot cheaper.
That said, it makes a good publicity stunt, and that publicuty may well
make the $$$ worth it.

-Ed

--
The day of judgement cometh. Join us O sinful one...

http://fuji.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/cult/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:32:57 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yep, just visited the local CompUSA here and found
>Redhat/SuSE and the various Linux PowerPacks in
>the reject bin selling for $20.00 or less (mostly
>$9.99).

moron.

Why don't you open up a store selling copies of win 3.1, 3.11, NT 3.x
and windows 95 and then get back to us how old software is such a
hot seller.