From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tinman)
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:13:08 -0400

In article <8ik2n3$9fd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Christopher Smith"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "tinman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8ik1ti$ave$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Christopher Smith"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "tinman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Jaz

> > > So you can partition a floppy disk under MacOS ?
> >
> > Hey mon, watch your snippage!
>
> Erk, sorry.  I was replying to Joe (since he's in my killfile) but I forgot
> to take out your reference :\.

That's ok, I figured it was something like that.

> Still, anyone reasonably intelligent should be able to figure it out :).

Yeah, but I don't want edwin or monkeyboy to get confused. ('

--
______
tinman

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux User Counts, - time for an update
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:45:01 -0700

Marc Schlensog wrote in message <8idto8$ln1$12$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
>HcC_4.18042$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[SNIP]

>> > PS:  Ah, Dres don´t have no signature, na na na naaaaaa na!!!!
>>
>> Nope, never had never will, they are lame. just a waste of bandwidth and
>And your reposting is saving bandwidth, or what?  I don´t think, that you´re
>saving bandwidth at all
>> clutters up replies - I'd rather be using HTML posts than sigs. if we're
>> that.
>>
>Woohoo, they´re lame.  Hey Stephen, Dres sez, you is lame!

No.  Drestin said that he thinks that signatures are lame.
I disagree with him.  It just might be the only thing that
I disagree with him on.  I think it is unanimously agreed
within COMNA, however, that you are a blithering idiot.

>Did you get off once again?  Oh my gosh!  What a mess!

Hmmm... luser.

*PLOINK!*
--
.-----.
|_..._|  Oh good!  YOU WIN... nothing." -- SEGA's Seaman @ E3 2000

------------------------------

From: OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10 Linux "features" nobody cares about.
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:47:11 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Well, when you say Linux can run on a 386 most people expect it to be
> >just like it would be on a P3-550. After all, Windows 98 will run on a
> >386 too. Boot to dos mode and you can actually do something useful.
>
> No, it will not. It complains that it needs at least a 486, and refuses
> to install.
>
> Win95 *does* install even on a 386SX, but it pretty much takes overnight
> to do so.
>
> I have yet to try installing Win98 on a 486, and then moving the disk to
> a 386....

I think you're in for rough times.  I made the mistake once of changing the
processor on a Motherboard on a Win98 system (586 ->Celeron 266Mhz).  To my
irritation Win98 identified the Celeron, demanded the installation CD, and
proceeded to update all the dlls....with multiple reboots and crashes.  To
my further irritation, many of the programs that used to run broke, and the
dumb machine even BSOD to the point I just had to wipe the Hard Disk and
reinstall fresh with Win98.  Now, while that system is functional, not
everything runs anymore like it did when it was on the 586.  Bummer.
Fortunately this Celeron System only plays games now for my 5 year old
daughter.

I can only wonder what will happen with your system as soon as it detects
the 386 processor.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:05:27 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:57:36 GMT, JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:25:46 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>wrote on Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:45:08 GMT

> >>Very true; Unix also likes to combine many small tools in various
> >>well-defined ways.  The tricky part is to know all the small tools. :-)
> >
> >       Nah, the tricky part is figuring out how a particular task
> >       decomposes into many smaller ones...
>
> In other words "wright it yoursealf".

As opposed to "hope someone writes it for you, some year" in Microsoft
land...

> >       This is why I don't think a "GUI as powerful as any Unix shell"
> >       will ever come about except as an oddity thrown together by some
> >       avid Unix Shell hacker.
> >
> >--
> >        If you know what you want done, it is quite often more useful to
> >        tell the machine what you want it to do rather than merely having
> >        the machine tell you what you are allowed to do.
> >                                                                      / | \
> >
> >                                     Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:06:04 -0400

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>

> > In fact, I *avoid* the GUI whenever possible.
> > CLI rules.
> >

> Hey, GUI's are good for something. After all,
> you can have four terminal windows on a
> single screen.

precisely!

> Colin Day

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:08:16 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:20:43 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> You had better post that ditty to the setup groups because you would
> >> not believe how many people ask the question:
> >>
> >> I just installed Wordperfect, now how do I start it?
> >
> >So, what you are saying is, a lot of people are asking this:
> >

> >"I just installed a program, what is the name of the command?"
> >
> >Yeah, right.  Try again liar.
>
> They don't want to tipe stuped DOS command they'd rather click an Icon that's why
>Windows is
> still #1.

So, you are saying that windows is popular because the typical user
is a moron, and windows is popular with morons.

And you like windows because..... you're a moron too.

Thank you for making that all clear now.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:14:33 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Given that it is based on the programming methodology of the
> >most-ported operating system ever (Unix), and that source
> >code is easily ported back and forth between Unix and Linux,
> >and that most EDUCATED people have a need for a Unix-like
> >operating system, then for what reason do you expect Linux
> >to die out?
>
> I'm an EDUCATED person and I have no real need for Linux (although I do run

Then why do you write like an uneducated idiot?

> a system as a Samba file server, but that's it).
>
> Most of the work that I do that pays is on Windows. With pay I couldn't
> afford to buy the things I want, the house I live in, the new car etc. etc.

Clue for the clueless: Do the same thing in Unix-land and earn 3x as
much!

> >Most big-name universities do project development on Unix, not
> >Losedows.  For that reason alone, the best-educated in the field
> >of computing all have VERY strong reason to put Linux on their
> >own computer while still underclassmen.
>
> Most big name Universities here in the UK are underfunded. Something that
> costs nothing must be very attractive. Also, most Universities here in the
> UK usually teach on platforms that don't exist in the world of commerce.
> Whilst industrialists have been yelling for the right skills, Universities
> are frequently out of touch.

When I learned Unix, it was specifically prohibited from being in
the commercial domain (because AT&T had the Congressionally granted
phone monopoly, they were prohibited from competing in the arena of
computer hardware and software as part of legal monopoly status.)

However, once I learned Unix, I realized that, of all of the major
operating systems I had used, that it had the best model (and actual
functionality) for resource allocation among competing users.

At that point, I made a decision to study Unix thoroughly....
when I got out of school, Unix was JUST making it's way into
the commercial market (in the wake of the MCI suit which broke
up AT&T and ended their phone service monopoly, they were allowed
to enter the computer hardware, software, and services arenas).

> Pete

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:14:56 -0400

> Yawwwwwnnnnn.
>
> A 9762 in every living room I say......
>
> And people wonder why Linux has peaked and is fading fast...

keep telling yourself that.

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:54:57 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Just like the Linux IPO's are dying one after the other now that the
> >> real world of the corporation has taken a good look at Linux and has
> >> deemed it a mess.

> >> It's already dying. Along with BEOS, which Stienberg has withdrawn
> >> support and according to rumour Emagic is the next one.

> >> Linux is always behind. It has no future....
> >
> >Linux runs on the following CPU families:
> >
> >Intel x86
> >Motorola 68000
> >Sparc
> >Dec Alpha
> >PowerPC
> >PA-Risc
> >RS-6000
> >MIPS (SGI)
> >
> >Given that it is based on the programming methodology of the
> >most-ported operating system ever (Unix), and that source
> >code is easily ported back and forth between Unix and Linux,
> >and that most EDUCATED people have a need for a Unix-like
> >operating system, then for what reason do you expect Linux
> >to die out?
> >
> >Most big-name universities do project development on Unix, not
> >Losedows.  For that reason alone, the best-educated in the field
> >of computing all have VERY strong reason to put Linux on their
> >own computer while still underclassmen.
> >

> >Conversely, Other than Intel x86, how many OTHER CPU's does Lose2k run
> >on?
> >

> >[Gibberish bullshit deleted]

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: What UNIX is good for.
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:16:47 -0400

Dave Vandervies wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> void <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:10:58 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>There's also Emacs, a LISP interpreter masquerading as a text editor. :-)
> >
> >I thought it was an operating system?
>
> Emacs has device drivers now?

You never know with emacs :-)

>                                 Last I checked, it was only a shell.  :)
>
> dave
>
> --
> Dave Vandervies                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [-hs-]>>target) do a websearch. Try www.goggle.com A good engine.
> [Dave]>I think you mean www.google.com .
> [-hs-]Oh yes, a godd engine !            - -hs- being corrected in comp.lang.c

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:17:23 -0400

Dave Vandervies wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> void <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:10:58 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>There's also Emacs, a LISP interpreter masquerading as a text editor. :-)
> >
> >I thought it was an operating system?
>
> Emacs has device drivers now?  Last I checked, it was only a shell.  :)

What, you don't

boot: /emacs    ?????

> dave
>
> --
> Dave Vandervies                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [-hs-]>>target) do a websearch. Try www.goggle.com A good engine.
> [Dave]>I think you mean www.google.com .
> [-hs-]Oh yes, a godd engine !            - -hs- being corrected in comp.lang.c

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.