Linux-Advocacy Digest #420, Volume #27            Sat, 1 Jul 00 23:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft (abraxas)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (abraxas)
  Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use? (abraxas)
  Re: Linux code going down hill (abraxas)
  Re: Mandrake - DUN ? ("Rich C")
  Re: Where did all my windows go? ("Rich C")
  Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use? (The Ghost In The
Machine)
  Re: Linux code going down hill ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? ("Bryan Woody")
  Re: Linux, easy to use? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Mandrake - DUN ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mandrake - DUN ? ("H. Rivera")
  Re: Linux, easy to use? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! ! (Ciaran)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Timberwoof)
  Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use? (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Linux code going down hill (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Corel Does Nothing To Help The Linux Cause (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Neil Cerutti)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:10:29 -0400

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> >> are you talking about windows-nt or 0.98 ?
> >
> >I believe the thread was referencing Win2K. I have not myself ever installed NT or
>98 from fresh. I've only upgraded a Win95OSR2.1
> >Win98 and then WIn98SE. I added a dual/triple boot of NT4.0 and Win2K to my Win98
>computer.. and upgraded several NT4.0 to Win2K.
> >The only "fresh" installs I have done were Win2K, and they went without a hitch. My
>description of simply inserting the Cd, sipping
> >some coffee was pretty much what I did.
>
> Just for fun, find a machine that came preloaded with Win95OSR2 on
> a large hard drive and turn it into a dual-boot 95/NT system.
> You'll get a better feeling for other people's experience with
> Windows installs...  (If you haven't tried this, NT won't work
> on the VFAT32 drive, so you have to reformat and re-install
> win95, and win95 won't boot from the CD, so you need a floppy
> with CD drivers just to get started, then you have to reboot
> each side about 20 times as you install service packs, IE
> updates, and all your applications).

Why is it that the moment anything changes on a LOSEDOW machine,
you have to reboot the fucking thing?

>   Les Mikesell
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft
Date: 2 Jul 2000 01:09:57 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote on 1 Jul 2000 19:25:27 -0500 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:01:22 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>>Actually, I think he's just trying to make an association between
>>>Linux and the anti-business hippy types.   I, for one, am a total
>>>capitalist, and from my perspective, Linux is an EXCELLANT choice
>>                                                  ^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>Lern to speal EXCALLENT you FUCKING LIE-NUX IDIAT!!!![...]
>
> And you expect us to take you seriously?

Actually, at the same time 'tim palmer' is indirectly shining a
pleasant light on linux, Ive noticed that some of the linvocates
on this newsgroup shining an equally unpleasant light by virtue
of not understanding what true-trolling is.

This is a beautiful example.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:12:36 -0400

Josiah Fizer wrote:

> Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> > >Why you would want to install NT onto the same partition as 9x is beyond me. You
>could of course use Partition Magic to create a new
> > >partition for NT while preserving your existing 9x data. Or you could just put NT
>onto another HD.
> >
> > Try it.  I put NT on a different HD, but the real problem is getting
> > the dual boot configuration.  NT can't even see the FAT32 drive and
> > won't configure it to dual boot.
> >
> >   Les Mikesell
> >    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Ah, I see the problem. You are trying to use NTs boot manager. In a word, dont.

What you are saying then, is that M$ LOSE-NT products are DEFICIENT for
setting up an ALL LOSEDOS(X) system...

> There are far better offerings out there both free and shareware.

There is no excuse for Microsloth not providing adequate support
for something like this.

> Also you can edit the boot.ini file to add an entery for any partition or disk
>regardless of what OS it has on it.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: 2 Jul 2000 01:11:38 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8jllne$lpj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> On my system, clicking on the XTerm icon did nothing. The main KDE menu was
> dead also. Right clicking on the background revealed a menu that did not
> stay like it does normally. Since _nothing_ appeared to be alive, I logged
> out of X windows and restarted, I couldn't see what else I could do!

You could have read the fucking manual.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use?
Date: 2 Jul 2000 01:13:08 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> No, that's not the problem, the problem is with your perception. As I
>> stated in a previuos post the Linux world is not homogenous like the
>> Windows world, but is actually quite diversified. Most Linux users
>> like it this way and consider it an advantage because Linux is about
>> freedom and choice. Some people like driving a sports car and others
>> like driving a van. Thus there are different UI's for Linux with
>> different looks and feels, and yes, they sometimes contradict one
>> another. That's becuase peoples personal tastes sometimes contradict
>> one another. I think that's a good thing. If you don't, then you
>> should probably stick with windows.
>
> I'm arguing for some consistancy in the various types of desktop.
> Diversity is fine but anarchy is just crazy. If each and every desktop
> on Linux redefine the basics like Cut, Copy and Paste, that means if I
> switch desktops, the basic ground rules change. That's what I'm arguing
> against!

i.e. you want ten years worth of development done RIGHT NOW, because
YOU NEED IT.

If you werent such a helpless putz, youd be helping create it.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Linux code going down hill
Date: 2 Jul 2000 01:14:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You get what you *don't* pay for.
>
> Personally, Aix works fine...

You do not use AIX.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Mandrake - DUN ?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:18:33 -0400

"Zen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Appreciate if anyone on this NG could help me on this.
> I am a beginner and have just installed Mandrake 7.
> on my computer, after partitioning my HD.
>
> But, I am unable to setup my modem.
> Could anyone email me on how to setup and configure my modem to logon to
the
> internet ?

First of all, what kind of modem is it?

Brand & model?

Is it a Wimp-modem? If it is, it probably won't work, unless it's got a
Lucent chipset.

If you don't know this, and you can still boot to wimp-dows(ossm) you can
get the info from the device manager.

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:29:03 -0400

"Tim Palmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well, your problem seams to be (as you mentianned abuv) that your running
Linux. Just pop in Windo's 2000 and you woant have any more problem's.

THAT'S IT!!!!!! Why didn't I think of it before??!?!

ALL the problems with Windows 2000 _MUST_ be caused by the spell checker!
Tim obviously doesn't use it, and he has _NO_ problems at all.

Somebody call Redmond. This is _BIG_!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 01:33:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on 1 Jul 2000 18:26:48 -0500 <8jluno$1m39$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <8jlq7s$m37$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Pete Goodwin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I'm arguing for some consistancy in the various types of desktop.
>>Diversity is fine but anarchy is just crazy. If each and every desktop
>>on Linux redefine the basics like Cut, Copy and Paste, that means if I
>>switch desktops, the basic ground rules change. That's what I'm arguing
>>against!
>

>Have you found something where the usual
>left-mouse select = snarf
>middle-mouse = barf
>doesn't work?

Yeah.

Windows. :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- does that count?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 01:44:13 GMT

Well, solving technical issues was not really the point of
the post.  I can trace down and fix the problems easily
enough except for the lack of maintaining the man pages.

The issue is why use an OS without centralizing source
control and testing when there are free Unix-compatible
implementations available that do have these critical
elements?

From: "Bryan Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:56:33 -0400

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<<snip>>
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 06:59:46 GMT, James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Well to start out, Linux is here now, MacOS X is still around the
> >conner. To get to the main point; Linux is the best OS I've ever used as
> >far a stability goes. Turn on my Windows 98 machine and the more I use
> >it the slower it gets, and crashes.
>
> Why is it that all you LIE-nux nuts alwase clame that Windo's crashes all
the time when its not trew?

It's very true. If Windows was a solid OS in terms of stability, I wouldn't
be making my living the way I am now (repairing Wintel boxes). Perhaps some
Linux advocates exaggerate this point a bit much, but it does have it's
basis in reality.

> >Downloading files with my Linux box
> >is about 66% faster.
>
> PPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. What a nice, rownd number. How long it took
you to make it up?

I'd like to know more info on his numbers as well...

> >If I didn't think that Linux was the best I
> >wouldn't use it, I just haven't come accross anything better.
>
> Come across this: Windows 2000. It blo's LIE-nux away It blo's LIE-nux
away It blo's LIE-nux away

I actually haven't tried it myself, howver I hear it's in the same boat as
Linux in terms of hardware support. Besides, for the price, you can't go
wrong with Linux as a server OS.

<<snipped some more>>

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 02:12:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote in <8jijo1$gq8$1
> @nnrp1.deja.com>:
>
> >But select-with-left, paste-with-middle is true. And it does work in
> >terminals. (Am I right that Ctrl-C does not work on a dos window?)
> >
> >So, at least for text selection/pasting (notice how I leave you a way
> >out), X is more consistent than windows. Amazing!
> >
> >Any comments?
> >
> >PS: Ctrl-c/x/v works in all Gnome and KDE programs.
>
> Granted drag and drop to a DOS prompt does zip.

Indeed.

> However... select with
left
> relies on the text still being selected. If it gets deselected, its
gone.
> CTRL-C on Windows goes into a buffer. That buffer can be pasted into a
DOS
> prompt, just not dropped.

And how exactly can you paste it? Ctrl-v?
BTW: after my first few months on unixes, I started finding the windows
"it's not copied yet" way clumsy.

> What is missing in KDE is a menu with Copy/Paste on, and keyboard
versions
> of the same thing. I can't use CTRL-C/V in an edit field in KDE,
though I
> can use paste-with-middle. A little inconsistant I think.

If the mouse procedure works in all cases, it is not inconsistent.
It's just that you don't like it :-)

BTW: Ctrl-x/c/v DOES work in edit fields in KDE. Try it.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 02:09:44 GMT

here is somthing that might help. It is a list of HOWTO's from the Linux
documentation project. Take a look down the list to see if Modem is
listed.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

From: "H. Rivera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:16:41 -0400

First, check here http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  to find out =
if you have a winmodem or not.=20

Second, if you're setup with KDE  Desktop just follow the instructions =
on setting kppp, it's fairly simple.

Third, it would surely help if you provide more details about your =
hardware and the kind of problems/errors you're encountering.

Regards,

Hector
(Also a freshman in the Linux University)

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 02:16:30 GMT

In article <8jlf85$1vda$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>X does have a clipboard (run xclipboard) for use with cut and paste.
If
> >>you cut or copy to the clipboard, you can still use middle
button/paste
> >>to paste the clipboard data into any app that supports it (which is
> >>almost all apps).
> >
> >That's bizarre. If you have text selected somewhere and you have text
on
> >the clipboard, how do you know which one will get pasted!
>
> The one that is selected - there can only be one.  The clipboard
> is just a place to park things and it can hold more than on
> thing.  You can just as easily pop up an editor to serve
> as an intermediate space.

Or use something like klipper. If you use it, Ctrl-shift-v becomes a
super-paste, with history, and in KDE2, the chance to open a selected
URL, or many other things. Quite cool.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

Subject: Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! !
From: Ciaran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 19:45:01 -0700

"leg log" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten
years ago. I've
>had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about
twenty computers
>later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones,
I watch my 10
>or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use
my 6 or 7
>computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet
black frig.
>and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just
works ..) All of
>this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me.
Linux makes
>me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a sleek, jet black fidge ? Why ?

How is a person supposed to take you serious when you say
something freaky like that ? You sound like a spoiled, tedious
twit with more possesions than brain cells.

Go and buy a wany sports car and continue with your mid life
crisis.

Cheers,
Ciaran

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: Timberwoof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 19:56:13 -0700

In article <8jm4kj$tnk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(abraxas) wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > Tim Palmer wrote:

> >> Good luck. You half to be even more cairfull when picking Mac
> >> hardwhere for
> >> LIE-nux than when
> >> picking PC hardwhere. Better make DAMN SURE that its a PCI buss and
> >> not a new
> >> buss or else LIE-nux
> >
> > Linux LOVES AGP.
> >
> > What's your problem, liar?
> >

> Hes talking about nubus powermacs, as opposed to PCI powermacs...i.e. all
> 6100s
> and some 7100s.  Yellowdog, LinuxPPC and MKlinux will not run on nubus
> powermacs.
>
> However, you dont have to be careful to not get a nubus mac, as there are
> nearly
> none left in existance.

What happend to them all? When will my Quadra 610, Quadra 840, and Power
Mc 6100 suffer the same fate? (By the way, NetBSD runs fine on NuBus 68k
Macs.)

--
Timberwoof <timberwoof at infernosoft dot com> Chief Perpetrator
Infernosoft: Putting the No in Innovation. http://www.infernosoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 1 Jul 2000 21:55:30 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rich C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Have you found something where the usual
>> left-mouse select = snarf
>> middle-mouse = barf
>> doesn't work?
>
>IMO, this strategy is flawed, as I discovered while playing with it. While
>it does work across all the apps I've tried it with, I had a problem when I
>wanted to _replace_ a text selection with my "snarfed" text. I had to go to
>the target, delete it, then go back to my source and select the text, then
>rather learn all the more convenient variants, even though there's more to
>remember.

The only place this is a real problem is when you are in a
form with a fixed-size input buffer.  Otherwise you just paste
the replacement before deleting the existing item if you forgot
to start by deleting the target.  Or for reasonably small
fields like URL's, just left-click to position at the start
of the target and use the delete key to get rid of the
part you want to replace before pasting.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 2 Jul 2000 03:06:01 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 01:44:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Well, solving technical issues was not really the point of
>the post.  I can trace down and fix the problems easily
>enough except for the lack of maintaining the man pages.

Well I don't believe you when you talk about these so
called "problems" to be honest. I think your installation is,
to put it bluntly, hosed.

The problems that you are experiencing are not normal. gcc and g++
have been around for a long time, and are well tested. I assure
you that if #include <stdio.h> makes the compiler choke, somethings
very wrong with your installation.

>The issue is why use an OS without centralizing source
>control and testing when there are free Unix-compatible
>implementations available that do have these critical
>elements?

I'm not sure what you mean about "centralizing source control".
If you want a Solaris box to be half usable, you'll want to
throw a ton of third party software on top of it.

IMO, Solaris is more or less unusable until you add the GNU
utilities to it. ( Does it even ship with a C++ compiler ??? )

It's not unusual to see Solaris with the GNU utilities, Apache,
gcc/g++, cvs and a bunch of other free software installed. At
this stage, it already looks a lot like Linux.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Corel Does Nothing To Help The Linux Cause
Date: 2 Jul 2000 03:08:14 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:03:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On 1 Jul 2000 14:51:22 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:05:07 -0400, Colin R. Day wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not sure that there would be enough demand for such products
>>>(as opposed to games) in Linux to justify a port.
>>
>>FYI, a game that sells about 200,000 copies is reasonably succesful.
>>The Linux games will be getting somewhat less sales than that.
>
>       ...a game that is paying for it's own development and sells 200K
>       copies is reasonably successful, versus a mere port which should
>       have already paid for itself...

You seem to have completely missed my point. My point is that we know
that the game ports are economically viable because Loki keep doing them.
So it follows that anything that can pull as much revenue as a game port
without costing more to port is also economically viable.
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 03:07:13 GMT

On [EMAIL PROTECTED] posted:

>Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
><<snip>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 06:59:46 GMT, James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >Well to start out, Linux is here now, MacOS X is still around the
>> >conner. To get to the main point; Linux is the best OS I've ever used
>> >as far a stability goes. Turn on my Windows 98 machine and the more I
>> >use it the slower it gets, and crashes.

In just that last day or so, I discovered that my BIOS/Motherboard will not
support a PS/2 mouse correctly. It causes all kinds of conflicts, somehow.
In Linux, keyboard response slowed to a crawl after I added PS/2 support to
the kernel, even without a PS/2 mouse plugged in. I had to go back to my
streamlined kernel with only serial mouse support.

Windows, on the same box, rebooted 4 times installing the PS/2 mouse each
time, and, on the 4th one, zapped the FAT on my C drive, killing itself and
not much else since I wisely keep no other programs or data on the Windows
system drive.

I need to reinstall windows, but simply went back to an old kernel in
Linux.

It's not Win NT/2000 though. It's Win98.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>