From: richard harlos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:11:13 GMT

KLH wrote:

> Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > If that is true, then we have already lost.
> > >

> > No. Ever hear of the term "good will" in accounting? Well
> > Microsoft has been pumping out "bad will".
> >
> > Colin Day
>
> I guess I should ask the opinion of the newsgroup at large. Does this
> newsgroup consider posts about Microsoft but not about GNU/Linux on-topic to
> comp.os.linux.advocacy? I personally find it annoying but if there are
> several opinions otherwise, then I will just live with it. But I would
> wonder why people would look for information about Microsoft on a Linux
> newgroup.
>
> Best Regards,
> Kevin Holmes
> "extrasolar"

Hi, Kevin.

As a raw newbie to the Linux world (only successfully connected to the
'net via Slackware for about a weekn now), I don't mind the
intermingling of pro-Linux advocacy and anti-Microsoft expose
(ex-po-zay').

If it were  *all*  anti-Microsoft, then I suppose my feelings would more
closely resemble yours.  As long as the anti-sentiment postings number
less than half, I'm okay with things as they are.

Well, since you asked, that's my opinion   :)
--
richard harlos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Advocacy and Programmers...
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:17:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Pan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:30:15 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Craig Kelley wrote:
>>
>> "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > VB is much more than a scripting language. Are we going to compare what
>> > tcl\tk offers linux to what VB offers windows? Please. What planet
>> > are you people on?
>>
>> Please elaborate.
>>
>> Look at [perl|python]/gtk as well.
>
>Indeed.  And Perl tk, which is also phenomenal for rapidly scripting
>widgets.  What it took me several weeks to learn how to do in c/gtk
>(possibly because I currently suck at both c and c++), I picked up in
>Perl in about 5 minutes.
>
>I haven't even messed around with tcl yet, but why bother when perl and
>python are so easy?  Let's not pretend that vb is as multipurpose as
>perl, even forgetting the fact that perl runs on everything from linux
>to win32 to solaris to bsd to an os390 mainframe.

TCL's a dog of a language; stick with Perl/TK.  (The only reason
to use Tcl/TK is the TK part. :-) )

That said... Tcl and Perl are both interpretive languages (note that
Perl is compiled into an intermediate form).  VB is compiled.
Whether this means anything for GUIs is not at all clear.

[.sigsnip]

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I've always said: Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: 19 Jul 2000 10:18:02 -0500

"Sean LeBlanc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> I run W2K at home on my workstation, Linux on home server,
> I use lots of NT (NT 5.0, a.k.a the marketroid term "Windows 2000")
> at work, with a touch of Solaris. I've been using Linux on and
> off again for about 6 years. I've been using NT on the job since
> 1995, and really, it's not too bad(ducking flames) for a workstation,
> even when it was 3.51 - for developing and/or serious work, it
> beat the pants off of Win3.x AND 95 any day of the week.
>
> I'm not a Linux zealot, I view it as just another OS, with some cool
> twists. But I believe that NT just is
> not ready for the big time server market, no matter what
> M$ says - there is far too much rebooting during configuration - ever
> install the NT Option Pack? If you count reboots, it's something like
> four or more, I forget.

I JUST did this monday, I counted 1. What option pack did you use? Sheesh.

Under W2K (or, if you insist NT5) I count 0.

>That's (barely)  tolerable for the
> workstation/desktop environment, but insane on the server side.  And
> how can I turn off the GUI so it's not sucking down extra resources
> when it's running as a server?

is your server so pitifully weak that it can't give up a couple of megs for
the gui so you can increase your productivity and make your job easier?

Answer: you can't, and that's not the
> only thing you can't turn off.

Answer: you can. Don't log into the server. Telnet in and mange it that way.
Or log into one server with the full GUI and manage all the others, which
aren't logged in, remotely. Think past the typical *nix FUD, answers are
there.

>There are all kinds of unneeded things
> running like Explorer. It's always running; why? Does a server really
> need this stuff? And does a server really need to have browser
> functionality "integrated" into it to install some of the server
> components that M$ sells?

because the GUI is integrating the desktop with a HTML engine - it's called
advancing technology> new ideas, new functionality. You don't think it's
cool you can plop an HTML or activex object right into your desktop
background and interact with it while you work in other windows? Just to
name the first thing that comes to mind.

<snip>

> As for W2K being "stable as any *nix you could name", that's really
> an impossible claim to make: something like Solaris has a PROVEN
> track record. What does W2K have? It's barely out of beta. I can't
> vouch for others, but Solaris has one hell of a track record. It's
> why Sun can still charge so much for their servers with OS on it.

Is that why sun servers are being replaced by W2K servers in many companies?
W2K's record is being made/proven as we speak. It takes time, sure, but so
far it's record is solid.

> M$ is still a new kid in town with the high end server stuff,
> and no amount of their marketing PR can change that fact.
> I know there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics,
> but check out www.uptimes.net. Look at top ten list. There isn't
> any windows machine on there, they are all *nix.

Ahhh but there is a problem therein. Until they realized and fixed a stupid
49.7 day bug in THEIR uptime tracking software Windows boxes weren't
counting uptime correctly. Hows Windows going to catch up? How about if they
reset all these uptimes and start counting over, with W2K in the mix now.
Put a W2K box and Unix box in a closet doing gateways and NAT and don't
touch either - there will be copies of shakespere handed out by monkeys
before one of them crash.

<snip yawning>

------------------------------

From: Chad Irby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:18:45 GMT

"Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pfft.  It's a long document containing largely a *single* judge's
> _opinions_, and very few facts.

Have you actually *read* it?

Your post indicated you haven't, or if you did, didn't understand it...

--

Chad Irby         \ My greatest fear: that future generations will,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   \ for some reason, refer to me as an "optimist."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: version control in Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:18:33 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:17:02 GMT, Eager Learner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  How can I do version control in Linux?

Use CVS or RCS.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:12:18 GMT

-- snip --

> BZZZT You misunderstood the exchange, I think.

Perhaps not. See below.

> >BZZZZT you made blanket,  black/white statement. If I have it wrong,
> >its not my mis-interpretation, but your lack of clearly stating what
> >you really mean.

-- snip --

> BZZZT He made a one line response to JS/PL stating he should engage in
> the 'cursory glance at history' before attempting to discuss the
> issue.

You got it wrong -- he was responding to letoured's post. If he meant
the respopnse as *support* of letoured's observations, he should have
clarified his intent. As is stands, it appears that he was chastising
letoured, not supporting him.

http://www.deja.com/threadmsg_md.xp?AN=647845492&fmt=text

Curtis

From: "Matthew Majka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:19:17 -0500

Lars Träger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> So trying to plug a USB mouse into a Sun shows you're a moron, and
> trying to plug a SCSI Zip in the USB only iMac shows - what? That Suns
> are better at plug'n'play than Macs?

And that SGI's beat Suns at plug and play...

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: 19 Jul 2000 10:20:29 -0500

"Nathaniel Jay Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Drestin Black wrote:
<snip> >
> > oh give me a break... sigh... you know that no matter what I would write
> > you'd just pick it apart and either call it shit or say it was copied.
It's
> > a no win scenario. I haven't used Fortran since college (or RPG and
Cobol).
> > C++ , it takes half a page to write hello world, fuck that. So... piss
> > off...

> #include<iostream>
>
> main()
> {
>   cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
>   return 0;
> }
>
> Um, half a page?!?!

I'm sorry, I exagerated a little :)

of couse, in BASIC this would be

====================
PRINT "Hello World!"
====================

------------------------------

From: "Davorin Mestric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I just don't buy it
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:26:21 +0200

"KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How is this topic remotely related to Linux Advocacy? How annoying.

it is, because linux is coming from a big server world, where you also,
well, store your documents on a central server.

------------------------------

From: "Davorin Mestric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:24:12 +0200

your comments would make sense if i actually wrote: 'connect, write it,
send'. since what i actually wrote was: 'write it, connect, send', your
comment does not make sense.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Troughton)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:16:22 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:27:57, Arthur Frain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
>> The difference is the the Left wants government to own all business, and
>> the Right wants business to own the government.
>
>Neither the Left nor the Right care at all about
>business. The Right wants to regulate your personal
>behavior in your bedroom and on the 'net, and force
>religion on schoolkids, while the Left wants to
>regulate your speech, if not your thoughts, and is
>otherwise too busy building [insert easily
>identifiable minority group here] studies programs
>to be concerned with anything as mundane as what's
>actually happening in the country, even if it's
>happening to those easily identifiable minority
>groups they pretend to study.
>
>However, either the Left or Right is for sale to
>the highest bidder come election time.
>
>Fsck 'em all. Parallelized.
>
>Arthur
>
>(And don't get me started on Libertarians - the
>anti-government party whose symbol is a large
>government owned statue)

I liked Nader's comment on the difference between the Democrats and
the Republicans. "The only difference between them is the speed at
which their knees hit the floor when big business comes calling."

* Jack Troughton              jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* http://jakesplace.dhs.org     ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org *
* Montréal PQ Canada           news://jakesplace.dhs.org *

From: Mark Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:27:10 -0500

I'm sorry.  I evidently had you confused with someone who, before arguing with another
person, would bother to find out if, in fact, there was an actual disagreement.  I
apologize.

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Jul 2000 10:31:31 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8l3fm8$vk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> >> Sheesh --- so what name *is* it under? I mean, if you are willing to
> >> register your stuff with the copyright registrar, you surely aren't
> >> ashamed to own up to it, are you?
>
> >perhaps I wish to remain anonymous - given the types that occupy COLA and
> >troll COMNA would this suprise you?
>
> It wouldn't really surprise me. However, *if* you choose to remain
> anonymous, *then* you simply can't expect anyone to take you serious
> when making statements that relate to your person.
>
> On the other hand, I have always posted with a perfectly valid email
> address, even to cola. And while I am a linux advocate, I certainly have
> posted good things about other systems (mainly the Mac, and NeXT ;-),
> and have related many a story of linux doing slightly weird things. And
> you know what --- I think I have yet to receive my first cola triggered
> mail.
>
> And posting with my full email address means that if I were to say "I am
> the author of TMW, the best lossless compressor for greyscale images
> currently published, and it was developed on linux/AXP. I am also the
> author of the RC5 routines in the linux/AXP distributed.net client.
> So you can trust that I have personal experience with linux/AXP", such
> statement would carry a lot of weight, simply because it is verifiable[1].
>
> So maybe, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to overcome your
> paranoia and give up your anonimity.

I'm sorry but this is a decision based on more than a few factors. I have
often wished I could stand up and say, "HEY! You know who I am?!" and let
loose with my company's name so I could proudly stand with it's/my/our
achievements and (few) moments in the press. But, I am writing here my own
personal opinions, not always necessarily those I'd share with every client.
And it's unfair to my company for any mistakes I may make here to taint it.
It's with a bad taste that I assume this triple layered aninimity and I'm
both thankful and sorry to my friend who lets me borrow his pseudonym and
news account to post, via Terminal Services :) You would not believe the
e-mail he's got and forwarded to me. That and the two people who went so far
as to find his personal home address and post it with phone number.

> >> P.S.: And PLEASE get a newsreader that manages to do decent quoting.
These
> >>       extra linebreaks in quoted stuff are really annoying.
>
> >interesting - I have absolutely no problem whatsoever reading or replying
> >ANYONE's posts without any extra line breaks at all. Perhaps your
newsreader
> >sucks.
>
> ARGH! Not another dimwit who says "I don't have a problem, so my software
> can't be the cause of the problem you see". A person who leaves his high
> beam on when driving behind another car doesn't have any problem, either,
> but still causes others problems.

<snip>

ok, look, until your deja URL postings I've never seen my posts displayed
like that. In return quotes I don't recall seeing it that way. I do not know
why this is happening but I'll take a look and see if it's something I can
control/change. You are the first to bring it to my attention after
thousands of posts.

oh, and when you use the equivlent of aircraft landing lights for "high
beams" - driving behind someone with them on does cause a problem, usually
from them swerving off the road, holding their eyes screaming in pain - or
something like that :)

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Jul 2000 10:32:36 -0500

> Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Yes, that would be resident troll, Drestin Black, who claims to
> > > do exactly that.
> >
> > WHAT?!!! What the HELL are you talking about. I suggested no such thing.
> > Withdraw your lie.
>
> Obviously, you aren't communicating coherently.
> Care to revise your earlier statements.

ok Aaron - show me where I suggest replacing an oracle database with an
exchange server. Please, be very specific.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dresden's copyrights (Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?)
Date: 19 Jul 2000 10:34:08 -0500

> Jacques Guy wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Of course, "Drestin Black" == "Dressed in black". Now let me guess
> > under what name those famous copyrights might be.... Brown?
>
> Nope....under "cross-dresser"

reduced to personal insults - your desperation has been showing for some
time now... when you fail to have any facts to counter my arguments you
resort to name calling?

sticks and stones...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Date: 19 Jul 2000 11:52:48 GMT

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Rob S. Wolfram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> But I have objections to VB as a language when you need to do anything
>> more than build pretty screens. E.g., implement me any recursive
>> algorithm without the need to invent your own stack, and we'll talk
>> again.
>
>You are being entirely unfair to VB, it's NOT just for "pretty screens" -
>which most people call a UI and is the reason computers have taken off in
>popularity - a graphical UI is much easier to learn and use than a text mode
>one and the proof is written in history.

That is a completely different discussion. I partly agree with you here.
A GUI is easier to *learn* than a CLI, of course, but not necessarily
easer to use. That depends completely on the task at hand. For CAD, 3D
rendering etc, I would suggest a GUI. Even though it might be possible
with a CLI, it would be awful. For general admin jobs, issuing batch
jobs etc, I would suggest a CLI. Even though it is possible with a GUI,
it is awful.

>Now - a recursive algorithm without inventing my own stack? In VB? Recursive
>function calls have been around since DOS BASIC 5 - what's the big deal? No
>need to deal with the stack at all.

I did a few web searches and I stand corrected. I had no idea that later
versions of BASIC actually implemented a limited scope on variables.

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
   Computers have a lot in common with air conditioners:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: 19 Jul 2000 15:35:27 GMT

In article <8l1tnr$e32$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [Someone's] claim is tantamount to calling over 6 million people
> morons.

I've done *that* before!  And I'll repeat it any time I find 6 million
people acting moronically.

> This sounds like the sort of logic of one who would write a simple
> app with C for no other reason than to say it's written in C.

Which has got to be *the* worst reason to write an app in C.

> When the time saved composing with a different tool would long
> overshadow any negligible performance gain provided by using the
> more 'masculine' language. In a word, the issue and its merit is
> balderdash.

However, a number of people (including a lot in the *nix community)
feel that the productivity gains of VB are largely illusory,
especially in the problem domains for which they have practical
experience.

Donal (nobody wants training wheels on a Harley-Davidson...)
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.economics
Subject: Re: Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:50:01 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2000 00:25:17 GMT, Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >MK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>There are two way of getting there: political and market way. I'm not aware
> >>of MS getting there via politics, I remember MS getting there via business
> >>deals. Which are ugly and harsh money talks sometimes, but hey, this isn't
> >>kindergarten. ...
> >
> >       Mr. MK shows his true colors here: his love of bullies.
> >
> >       Good dealmaking != good products
>
> ...in other words, Microsoft Windows did not get its market share by
> being the best OS, it got there by way of business deals.

correct.

specifically, Penalizing vendors for selling any computer without
charging for a copies of MS products (regardless of whether the customer
wants them or not)

> --
> Guns don't kill people, cops do!

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.