From: "News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache Document
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:15:23 +0700

=======_NextPart_000_0041_01BFFC0E.5E7DAEE0

URGENT!!!

Hi i'm new for Linux.. But i need to build my linux server to be WWW =
server. I used Apache to be Server and i already complied that program =
on my server. But i need to have a good manual about this program. Just =
want to make it to be my reference. Could you please help me to find the =
best site about Apache progame.=20

One thing i tried www.apache.org already.. there is a little useful =
information for me. don't forget that i'm very new for this stuff. But =
really want to get knowlage about it...

Thanks

MONA
Thailand

=======_NextPart_000_0041_01BFFC0E.5E7DAEE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>URGENT!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi i'm new for Linux.. But i need to =
build my linux=20
server to be WWW server. I used Apache to be Server and i already =
complied that=20
program on my server. But i need to have a good manual about this =
program. Just=20
want to make it to be my reference. Could you please help me to find the =
best=20
site about Apache progame. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One thing i tried <A=20
href=3D"http://www.apache.org">www.apache.org</A> already.. there is a =
little=20
useful information for me. don't forget that i'm very new for this =
stuff. But=20
really want to get knowlage about it...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>MONA</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thailand</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_0041_01BFFC0E.5E7DAEE0==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:22:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  petilon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Even Microsoft admits SQL Server doesn't support load balanced
> >> clustering.
> >
> >WHAT?! Someone better tell those four servers over there that
> >they are NOT part of a cluster and load balanced... it's a
> >miracle!
>
> I repeat: Microsoft admits SQL Server doesn't support load
> balanced clustering.

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

I have a feeling not everyone is on the same page as far as what these
environments really are.  Here are some descriptions of them as I know
it.

1.  SQL Server 2000 "Federated Views".  Bascially a view that can
partition data amongst various nodes.  This is a poormans version of
shared nothing.  Shared nothing without a failover for each node is not
what you want for OLTP.  OLAP maybe.
2.  Oracle Parrellel Server.  I haven't used this since 7.3 so I may be
behind the eight ball on this.  Basically OPS uses shared DASD for all
data.  Rollback segement and I think temp can be local.  This requires
a DLM that requires you to store data at the raw level which can be
very tricky.  OPS does not give you added performance it gives you
added users basically.  This would not speed up a benchmark
siginificantly. More memory would do that before adding another node in
most cases.
3.  DB2 EE/Teradata.  True shared nothing environment.  Data is evenly
distributed across each node.  In the case of Teradata failover can be
acheived by have one node backup another node and restart the "AMPS" of
the server that died.  Its pretty cool technology that can tablescan
TB's pretty quickly if you box is big enough.

Which one of these would I run OLTP on #2.  However I would much rather
run SQL 2000 without "federated views" with wolfpack than OPS.  Much
easier to do and much cheaper.  DLM's are quite buggy by nature and
doing backups/restores from raw take a bit more time up front.  If you
need to do as many transactions per second as some of these then look
for 32 processors running Win2k Datacenter.  Should come pretty close
with more of the reliablility you are looking for.  Something like
2.5Mill for a failover scenario I would bet hitting around 150K TPCM.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Gnome or KDE
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:30:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <D. C. & M. V. Sessions> wrote:
>Christopher Browne wrote:
>>
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when SL News Posting would say:
>> >|>

>> >Sure there is - straight twm - been using it for 10 years[*] and
>> >have no need for all the desktop clutter, sound, moving menus,
>> >themes, etc.  *tvtwm is available to provide a virtual screen
>> >larger than the physical screen for those who need such.
>>
>> Ah.  Wuss.
>>
>> What you _want_ is wmx, which gets rid of even _more_ of the clutter...
>
>You had ones?  All we had was zeros.

You were lucky.
We had to bang two rocks together to get the zeros...

etc, etc.....

Rasputin
<Not from yorkshire, who would rather stop syslog than give up
enlightenment when memory becomes tight....>

--

Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:30:15 -0500

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:22:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:09:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>-- snip --
>
>> >    How are they going to tell? How would they know the difference
>> >    between an efx win32 variant and some Window Manager variant?
>>
>> They'll ask the salesdroid - Can I run Quicken 2000 on this?  get an
>> answer of "no" and immediately move on to a PC that can do so.
>> Salesdroid soon has enough of this and stops pushing Linux box,
>> figuring (correctly) that people would rather pay $50 more or so for a
>> WinXX box that can run their software.
>
>A "salesdroid" would probably react as you indicate, but someone even
>the least bit knowledgeable as a sales*person* would reply, "it *can*
>run Quicken using an add-on called Wine, but there are alternatives,
>such as GNUCash which may actually work better for you. For example, if

ROTFL!  In a consumer box?  You're kidding, right?

The "salesperson" wouldn't be a salesperson at CUSA if he knew all of
that - he'd be doing computer support and making 2x as much $$.

>you prefer to use double-entry, GNUCash supports it. And you won't have
>to buy a new version every year; just download a new version when you
>want for free."  Then the sales*person* could do a demo of exporting a
>Quicken account onto a floppy and importing into GNUCash, just to
>illustrate how painless it can be.

LOL.  That's a riot.  And you expect a normal retail customer (not a
computergeek) to use that?  Where's the support telephone number when
they can't get it working?

>The point here is that what you describe is the network effect of a
>monopoly, and what I have provided is a fresh perspective.

Or I'm being realistic in what a normal customer would expect and
would purchase, and you aren't.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:30:34 -0500

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:59:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:22:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:09:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>>
>>-- snip --

>>> They'll ask the salesdroid - Can I run Quicken 2000 on this?  get an
>>> answer of "no" and immediately move on to a PC that can do so.
>>> Salesdroid soon has enough of this and stops pushing Linux box,
>>> figuring (correctly) that people would rather pay $50 more or so for a
>>> WinXX box that can run their software.
>>
>>A "salesdroid" would probably react as you indicate, but someone even
>>the least bit knowledgeable as a sales*person* would reply, "it *can*
>>run Quicken using an add-on called Wine, but there are alternatives,
>>such as GNUCash which may actually work better for you. For example, if
>>you prefer to use double-entry, GNUCash supports it. And you won't have
>>to buy a new version every year; just download a new version when you
>>want for free."  Then the sales*person* could do a demo of exporting a
>>Quicken account onto a floppy and importing into GNUCash, just to
>>illustrate how painless it can be.
>>
>>The point here is that what you describe is the network effect of a
>>monopoly, and what I have provided is a fresh perspective.
>
>       One never can tell.
>
>       Quicken2000 could be bundled with the machine and running
>       via vmware or wine. Ardhi bundled a Mac version of Quicken
>       with Executor for awhile.

/sarcasm
Yeah, that would sell *really* well.
/sarcasm off

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:35:58 -0500

"Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8m6f7f$hf3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jun Nolasco  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Then you'd be surprised to hear that the top 5 of the latest TPC-C
> > Performance results use Windows 2000. Plus the top 10 TPC-C
> > Price/Performance results are either WinNT or Win2000.
>
> Partitionable or non-partitionable data?

Doesn't matter to the TPC.  Both are explicate allowed.  Here's a the
relevant part of clause 1 of the TPC-C specification
http://tpc.org/benchmark_specifications/TPC_C/tpc-c35.doc as proof:

1.4.4 Horizontal partitioning of tables is allowed. Groups of rows from a
table may be assigned to different files, disks, or areas. If implemented,
the details of such partitioning must be disclosed.

1.4.5 Vertical partitioning of tables is allowed. Groups of attributes
(columns) of one table may be assigned to files, disks, or areas different
from those storing the other attributes of that table. If implemented, the
details of such partitioning must be disclosed (see Clause 1.4.9 for
limitations).

Comment: in the two clauses above (1.4.4 and 1.4.5) assignment of data to
different files, disks, or areas not based on knowledge of the logical
structure of the data (e.g., knowledge of row or attribute boundaries) is
not considered partitioning.  For example, distribution or stripping over
multiple disks of a physical file which stores one or more logical tables is
not considered partitioning as long as this distribution is done by the
hardware or the operating system without knowledge of the logical structure
stored in the physical file.

1.4.6 Replication is allowed for all tables.  All copies of tables which are
replicated must meet all requirements for atomicity, consistency, and
isolation as defined in Clause 3.  If implemented, the details of such
replication must be disclosed.

Comment: Only one copy of a replicated table needs to meet the durability
requirements defined in Clause 3.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:54:21 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:14:32 +0200, Karel Jansens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bob Hauck wrote:

>> And if DR-DOS really was incompatible, why did they disable (but not
>> remove) this code in the retail version?
>>

>I hate to repeat myself, but since people still come up with this
>canard, I reckon I'm entitled to respond.

Hey, I'm just going by what Andrew Schulman said about it.  The fact
that he said it was disabled is probably the source, since not many of
us have old copies of the software around to try.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:04:18 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:30:34 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:59:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:22:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>In article
>>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>>
>>>-- snip --

>>>A "salesdroid" would probably react as you indicate, but someone even
>>>the least bit knowledgeable as a sales*person* would reply, "it *can*
>>>run Quicken using an add-on called Wine, but there are alternatives,
>>>such as GNUCash which may actually work better for you. For example, if
>>>you prefer to use double-entry, GNUCash supports it. And you won't have
>>>to buy a new version every year; just download a new version when you
>>>want for free."  Then the sales*person* could do a demo of exporting a
>>>Quicken account onto a floppy and importing into GNUCash, just to
>>>illustrate how painless it can be.
>>>
>>>The point here is that what you describe is the network effect of a
>>>monopoly, and what I have provided is a fresh perspective.
>>
>>      One never can tell.
>>
>>      Quicken2000 could be bundled with the machine and running
>>      via vmware or wine. Ardhi bundled a Mac version of Quicken
>>      with Executor for awhile.
>
>/sarcasm
>Yeah, that would sell *really* well.
>/sarcasm off

        It all depends on how transparently it is done.

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Mikey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What are all you nix trolls doing in the WINDOWS advocacy list?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 02:11:52 -0400

I'm Linux/Unix-centric, but...IMHO...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There are a couple of reasons why we cross post:
>
> a.) There are still people that think Windows is everything. When
> reading about other OS's, they shall see there are alternatives.

True to a point.  But don't you figure that if people wanted to know
about Linux, they'd just come over to a Linux NG?

> b.) Sometimes we just return the compliment.

True, but it is in bad taste to do so.

> c.) Some topics are worth cross posting in order to get the bigger
> picture.

True in some cases, but cutting down Windoze in a Windoze-centric NG is
pretty much trolling and doesn't achieve anything more than annoying
people and turning them away from Linux.

> d.) It is not just about changing minds - it's also about broadening
> horizons.

But at what cost?  It's kind of like watching $FAVORITE_SHOW, and then
suddenly your show gets invaded by a Televagelist show popping up on
occation.  After a while, it gets annoying to people who watch that
show, who didn't ask for that invasion, and would prefer not to have the
Televangelist there.

Maybe we just need a NG called alt.linux.vs.windows to give *all* the
trolls a place to play.  :)

--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:20:01 -0500

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:04:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:30:34 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:59:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>>>     One never can tell.
>>>
>>>     Quicken2000 could be bundled with the machine and running
>>>     via vmware or wine. Ardhi bundled a Mac version of Quicken
>>>     with Executor for awhile.
>>
>>/sarcasm
>>Yeah, that would sell *really* well.
>>/sarcasm off
>
>       It all depends on how transparently it is done.

Maybe in a few years, but not today.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Subject: Re: AARON KULKIS...USENET SPAMMER, LIAR, AND THUG
Date: 1 Aug 2000 17:22:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Oh please.  Nobody robs your pocket, and comes back from the store
>with items that you don't want at prices you didn't want to pay.

        So 100% of all payments are done on the honor system?

>Likewise for work.  If you don't like what you're getting paid,
>then go someplace else.  If nobody is willing to pay you what
>you want, then get off your lazy ass and make yourself more
>valuable.

        And the same for one's nation of residence. If you don't like
government if the nation you are living in, and that government allows you
to leave, then you are free to do so, so stop whining about what an evil,
oppressive, taxing, regulating government the US government is. It allows
you to leave, so stop whining and do so.

>> There follows the thirty-four line spam message that thug
>> Aaron Kulkis inflicts on the Usenet community in violation
>> of its Netiquette rules, in every one of his thousands of
>> garbage posts, in order to libel people whose arguments he
>> can't refute, or who decline to answer some of his idiotic
>> questions:
>Arrest me, netcop!

        Someone who considers himself above the law ... sheesh.
--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:42:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:

>> > Galileo made the mistake of publishing....which got him in trouble
>> > with the church.

>> He did publish it, and was asked to withdraw his works from
>> publication and apologize, which he did, quickly. The "eppur
>> si muove" thing is just a legend.

>Actually, no.  His original work was a scholarly work.

>The Catholic Church went absolutely bonkers and did everything short
>of calling for his head on a platter.

>He published an official retraction of the original book, and
>rewrote the ideas as a sort of discussion between the characters
>mentioned above.

And it was just earlier this year was it not that the Catholic
church apologized for that.  200 years to say "we're sorry".

--
Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Apache Document
Date: 1 Aug 2000 12:23:27 -0500

In article <8m6tas$u09$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
News <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi i'm new for Linux.. But i need to build my linux server to be WWW
>server. I used Apache to be Server and i already complied that program
>on my server. But i need to have a good manual about this program. Just
>want to make it to be my reference. Could you please help me to find the
>best site about Apache progame.
>
>One thing i tried www.apache.org already.. there is a little useful
>information for me. don't forget that i'm very new for this stuff. But
>really want to get knowlage about it...

Apache isn't just a single program, it is a core plus an assortment
of modules, many of which are optional.  Be sure you have looked
through the docs for each module:
 http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/index.html
and there are others you might want to investigate for dynamic content
like php and mod_perl.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Date: 1 Aug 2000 17:27:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What is your definition of "owns" ? The days of the rigid class
>divisions where everyone is a factory owner or an exploited factory
>worker are long gone.

        But those are supposed to be the Good Old Days of Capitalism,
right?

>If you are trying to imply that there is no social mobility in the US, I'd
>counter by suggesting that there is a lot more of it in the US than there
>is in most communist countries.

        Beside the point. Saying that anyone can become an exploiter if
they try does not not make exploitation any less real. In fact, the
Ferengi ideal of capitalism is to not only acknowledge the reality of
exploitation, but to become the exploiter.

        And yes, under Communism, anyone could become a Party boss if
they tried. Mr. Rebbechi's comments seem suspiciously like what Communist
officials claim that they had created -- nations of the workers, by the
workers, and for the workers.

        Also, why don't Mr. Kulkis or Mr. Rebbechi run for President and
and use the Presidency to turn the US into an anarcho-capitalist utopia?
Are those gentlemen too lazy to do so?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: 1 Aug 2000 17:36:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

>Of course, confirmed fellow-travellers like yourself will deny
>the existance of Communist influence, despite the fact that they
>are still in control of all but a handful of the formere Warsaw
>Pact countries.

        From a grove of birch trees it came.

>> >Did you know...that where there is no "safety net", such fear
>> >inspires people to go on to GREAT achievement.
>>         In the dreams of a chest-thumping Randroid.
>What does the Rand Corporation have to do with this?

        Ayn Rand, novelist and idolizer of capitalism.

>>         In the real world, however, in the world that all of us wake up
>> in, making failure less dangerous is generally considered a Good Thing.
>Only for weaklings like yourself, fat boy.

        Pure chest-thumping.

[Real-OS features...]
>Misbehaving processes (such as those that attempt to access memory
>outside of their process space without permission) are summarily
>executed by the operating system.

        Thus making failure to construct a well-behaved process much less
costly. DOS is much better at punishing failure :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 1 Aug 2000 17:41:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Chaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 1 Aug 2000 06:12:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) wrote:

>How good does a power mac work with Linux? That processor should be
>screaming without the limitations of (pick your Apple OS of the day).
>It sure turns out x86 screams without the limitations of Windows,
>that's for sure!

        It performs excellently under the BeOS, though I haven't tried a
PowerPC flavor of Linux yet.

        Apple is still too slow with MacOS X :-(