From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:54:01 -0500

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:31:41 -0600, "John W. Stevens"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:07:48 -0600, "John W. Stevens"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >No, that's not the issue.  Refer back to the snipped bit about consumer
>> >electronics repair shops . . .

>> >Yes, they would, when it comes pre-installed and pre-configured, on
>> >hardware integrated by the seller to run Linux.
>>
>> This I have to disagree with.  I have a hard time coming up with a
>> scenario for a home user that would purposely buy a Linux box over a
>> W98 box, even if the L box were $50 less.  Can you build a scenario
>> for me?
>
>Yes, I can.  Cable Modems/DSL.

Well!  Cornflakes in Alaska!    (What does that have to do with the
topic?)

>Question: What has stopped the "home user" from installing and using a
>"server class" machine running a "server class" OS up 'til now?

Money (Win2k is more than Win98) and a complete lack of interest
(Win98 runs well enough for the vast majority, plus they understand
how to use it).

>Answer: A lack of bandwidth and connectivity.

Nope.  Money and a complete lack of interest.  Win98, like it or not,
fulfills most people's needs very well - it runs the software they
want.  If Apple could release a reasonably priced machine, they could
also get into that market, because like it or not, MacOS9 can do
reasonably well in that market, too.  Linux just isn't there yet.

>Companies such as those that sell "Internet-wide accessible file
>storage" services would go out of business in a year, if everybody had a
>Linux box attached to an always-on network.

Because...why?  If people need storage now, and they all switch to
Linux, how will they suddenly no longer need storage?  Just *what* are
you *talking* about?  They all 'host' storage on their Linux box for
some RC5-ish geek reason?  Don't think so; not happening.

>Other network services are, of course, also candidates for this.  Note:
>always-on, plus Linux, means that ISP's, to a greater or lesser extent,
>are unneccesary.

/sarcasm
Ah, yes, let's all configure our own mail server / domain / news
server / etc, complete with the hard drive space to store any of
these, complete with our own tech support telephone number.
/sarcasm off

Most people are happy to pay $0 to $50 per month to avoid that.

>Web Server?  It's on your home box.  Mail Transfer Agent?  It's on your
>home box.

Yeah; who's going to set this up again?

>Etc.

Etc.

>> >Sure he can.  *YOU* are assuming that pre-installed and pre-configured
>> >Linux boxen will never be made available on BB shelves. . .
>>
>> I think it's a pretty safe assumption for the time being.
>
>I disagree . . . considering a well known, very large company is already
>selling such boxen.  ;-)

Really?  Who?

>> >And there is nothing to stop Linux from being the OS installed on the
>> >above system.
>>
>> Except a total lack of demand.
>
>Not true.

Quite true, unfortunately.  I *LIKE* Linux.  But it isn't a
non-geek-OS yet.  I'm using it as my router right now, but I'd never
dream of giving it to anyone else in my family.

>> And consumer-level software.
>
>Also not true.

Quite true.  Pointing to 10 choice titles that Loki has ported doesn't
make it consumer software accessible to nongeeks.

>> And
>> infrastructure support, aka handholders.
>
>And again, not true.

Quite true.  Infrastructure support, by and large, is Microsoft.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:54:01 -0500

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:32:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:31:23 GMT, Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>>> VMWare runs everything just about perfectly.  If it were just a
>>> bit cheaper I could see vendors bundling it, especially now that
>>> most machines have plenty of disk space.
>>
>> Would Intuit provide support to a customer running Quicken in VMWare?
>
>       Would Intuit provide meaningful support otherwise?

Sure.

>[deletia]
>
>       'support' is really an absurd feature when it comes to
>       consumer computing.

How so?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: AARON KULKIS...USENET SPAMMER, LIAR, AND THUG
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:01:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>>                                               Making someone who earns $10,000
>> pay $20,000 in taxes -- *THAT* is punitive.
>So, stop punishing them, and lower the tax rates FOR EVERYBODY!

        However, Mr. Kulkis's beloved head tax would *RAISE* tax rates
for many people.

>> > Food is incredibly cheap, and not only that,
>> >you can even GROW YOUR OWN!
>> You need land to grow it on. And you can't buy land if you don't have any
>> income because the government taxed you at 150% under your proposed tax
>> system.
>> You'd need to rent the land from someone and pay for the right to grow food
>> their .. wait, you can't afford anything because you already owe. So we
>You can always go out and get a job.  (FUCKING HORRORS!!!!)

        Presupposing that there are plenty of well-paying jobs to go around.

>> Who'd fund the people who cannot pay up ? I guess the alternative would be
>> that the hospitals go bankrupt .
>There are always philanthropists in every society.

        In Mr. Kulkis's ideal world, there would be none, because not
having much money is proof that one is not worthy of any.

>> Oh, so you admit that you want your kids to land on top of the social
>> heirarchy regardless of how dumb or incompetent they are ?
>Nope.  I want the *fear* of winding up on the dung-heap to serve
>as a motivator to achieve....so that they will take steps
>THEMSELVES to avoid it.

        Which is why safety devices must be outlawed, right?

        Which is why operating systems ought to fail as hard as possible, right?

        Operating systems like DOS punish people much harder for failure
than those like Linux, and according to that argument, are therefore *good*.

>You seem to be unable to grasp how much money would be freed up if
>the tax rates were lowered.  Do you know what the tax burden of the
>average American is???  over 50%  With "the rich" it's even higher.

        ROTFL. This presumes that all of the money goes into a black
hole somewhere.

>And 80% of it is wasted on goddamned idiotic nonsense, a good
>portion of it to pay to house and feed junkies and welfare whores

        Just plain wrong. The biggest part of it goes to middle-class
entitlements like Social Security and Medicare, and this is closely
follwed by the military and Treasury-bill dividends. I'd *love* to see
Mr. Kulkis denounce retirees, soldiers, and T-bill holders as
bloodsucking parasites, since he has implied that that is all that they are.

        Furthermore, in the absence of taxes, one would have to pay
bills, so it's not clear that one has really gained anything.

>       INCOME TAXES are the "old-money-preferential" system.

        And sales taxes are not???

>       Tell me, how much taxes are the Kennedy assholes paying on
>all of their millions?  Barely a whit.

        However, Mr. Kulkis normally claims that pointing that out is
class envy. Go figure.

>> Under your system, thugs and delinquents with wealthy parents would still
>> be free to attend school.
>Absolutely not.  In a rational society, thugs and delinquints wil
>be kicked out of school, and they can go work as sewer rats.

        However, the parents can promise a *big* gift of money -- as long
as their kids can attend. And between bankruptcy and accepting
badly-behaved offspring of major sources of money...

        Consider what incompetents Dan Quayle and George W. Bush have
been in college.

>The whole idea of all of these social programs is to promote charity.
>Except there's one thing wrong with it....it isn't charity if someone
>points a gun up your nose and tells you "give, or else".

>That is NOT charity, it's fucking EXTORTION. ...

        Only because it is a cause that Mr. Kulkis dislikes. If it was
one he likes...

>> Yes -- in the US. Other countries with leftist governments soundly whip
>> the USA on international tests.
>That's because the US educational establishment has been overrun with
>Communists (truly!) who have embarked upon a mission of causing our
>society to collapse from within.

>It's the same old Communist technique.  First, install Communist
>teachers...after that, the rest is easy.

        From a grove of birch trees it came.

        And Europe seems to have escaped that. As have the better US schools.

["user pays" approach to education...]
>Yes, it is truly amazing how intensely interested people get about
>the quality and value of services performed when they are the ones
>writing the check...and how apathetic they get when they get the
>idea that they're getting it "for free" because someone else
>signs the check (even when they are really paying for it, through
>indirect means like taxation or insurance premiums).

        So why not run the military and the police like that? And the courts?

>The current system irrationally punishes the high achievers for
>the benefit of the non-achievers (both rich non-achievers and
>poor non-achievers alike.  The last two generations of the
>Kennedys and the Rockefellers are PERFECT example of rich
>non-achievers who benefit ENORMOUSLY from the current system
>of punishing the achievers).

        ROTFL. Mr. Kulkis would call it class envy if anyone else said that.

        What they've benefited from is *inherited* wealth, and a
transition from income taxes to sales taxes would *not* make that go away.

        The Leona Helmsley Brigade ought to consider how easy they make
life for the Kennedys and the Rockefellers of the world, by protecting
them from having to pay taxes.

--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:02:03 -0500

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:31:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:17:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>-- snip --
>
>> >Go ahead and laugh.  The point is that a pre-loaded and
>> >pre-configured Linux box could very well address the hypothetical
>> >scenario which ***YOU*** came up with, your snottiness
>> >notwithstanding.
>>
>> No way.  Not in such a way that anyone new to computers could figure
>> out.
>
>-- snip --
>
>> Face it - people have a huge comfort level with certain applications,
>> and by and large they don't run under Linux.
>
>So, people who are "new to computers" already have a "comfort level with
>certain applications" eh?
>
>When you make up your mind as to what your argument is, let us know.

Face it - the vast majority have some computer experience, by and
large that's WinXX applications and OSs, and that's what they'll be
comfortable with.  Twist words all you like; the facts speak for
themselves - Linux isn't a commercial success, even to the low end
that might appreciate the extra $50 saved.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:04:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ed Cogburn wrote:

>> That would decimate the lower income people while giving the rich
>> a free ride.
>So, your entire argument is based on class warfare?  Remember, MOST
>of society's problems which necessitate government in the first place
>are caused by "the poor"...the "poorly-behaved" is a better description.

        One notable practitioner of class warfare, by that definition, is
a certain Aaron Kulkis, who has attacked the Kennedys and the Rockefellers.

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:06:26 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

>was...poignant.

> > > No offense taken.  I know I'm annoying on USENET....by design.
> > >                         (Ask Drestin Adress)
> > >

> > Well, at least you post pro-Linux posts in the Linux newsgroup.  Drestin
> > on the other hand...
> >
> > Annoyance factor: Drestin > Aaron
> >

> Unless your name is Drestin Adress

True enough.  But, that's the beauty of perspective.

To Windows advocates, even the most reasonable *nix advocate is a
trollish idiot.  Although I do believe posting *nix in a Windows group
is just as negative as posting Windows into a *nix group.  But being
polite isn't a requirement for participating on Usenet (unfortunately).

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,soc.singles,alt.society.anarchy
Subject: Re: LOREN PETRICH...CLOSET-DICTATOR
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:10:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What part of "volountary exchange of goods and services" do you
>not understand?

        That's a very idealistic view of capitalism, something that
suggests some college student who has just discovered the works of Ayn Rand.

        And this view of capitalism has often been used to defend
Microsoft, which Mr. Kulkis hates.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:13:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
        [businesses and governments both having dictators...]

>The difference is this:

>You can always change jobs.  You can always find a new store to
>do business with.  But with bureaucrats, you're stuck.

        Ignoring:

* Businesses also have bureaucracies. And sometimes very obnoxious
bureaucracies.

* One can always move to another country.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:22:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

>>         Mr. Kulkis's nonsensical Communist conspiracy theories are the
>> sort of thing the John Birch Society is fond of, and that organization's
>> name suggests certain metaphors, so...
>No, my information comes form defectors from the Communist government in
>Moscow.

        No details given. It *would* have been nice if some defector had
filched a whole load of documents of the Soviet leaders' plans and
published them on the Internet, but...

>>         Which makes one wonder about the status of fencing stolen goods,
>> since it is a form of capitalism that depends on theft.
>You can always tell when Loren is losing....he starts trying to
>make ludicrous statements like 'crime is legal'.

        Mr. Kulkis is unwilling to accept that there are bad forms of
capitalism, and it shows.

>>         And Napster and similar software have been dependent on massive
>> copyright violations; without such violations, they would have a *much*
>> smaller userbase. If one does not believe in intellectual property
>> rights, Napster is 100% legitimate. However, if one does...

>  The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties,
>Imposts
>  and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and
>  general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and
>  Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

        Mr. Kulkis concedes that the US Government has a right to collect
taxes.

>     To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for
>     limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their
>     respective Writings and Discoveries;

>Thus, the preservation of Copyrights CLEARLY takes precedence over
>Napster.  Napster is not being prosecuted for giving away music.
>Napster is being prosecuted for operating a common nuisance where
>copyright violations are condoned and unchecked... in the same
>way as a property owner who fails to keep an unoccupied house
>free from heroin addicts who set up a "shooting gallery"...

        However, Napster is a bunch of *CAPITALISTS*.

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a free lunch?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:18:31 -0500

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Wolfgang Rupprecht
> would say:
> >(Folks running that popular program loader from that redmond company
> >will not notice any difference in power usage running and not
> >running.)
>
> Thank you for writing this so that I didn't have coffee in my mouth
> as I read this; that would have resulted in coffee everywhere.
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
> Rules of the Evil Overlord #142. "If I have children and subsequently
> grandchildren, I will keep my three-year-old granddaughter near me at
> all times. When the hero enters to kill me, I will ask him to first
> explain to her why it is necessary to kill her beloved grandpa. When
> the hero launches into an explanation of morality way over her head,
> that will be her cue to pull the lever and send him into the pit of
> crocodiles. After all, small children like crocodiles almost as much
> as Evil Overlords and it's important to spend quality time with the
> grandkids. <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

Dude, I have got to ask:

Where do I get a full list of the "Rules of the Evil Overlord"?  I love
every one of them that I've seen so far.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came...
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:27:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Nonetheless, if a corporation you own stock in gives money to Al
>> Gore, there's not much you can do about it. If you're not happy
>> with a corporation's policy, the only thing you can do about it
>> is sell your stocks. That does about as much good as voting.

>If enough people feel the same way, the price of the stock drops.

        However, "love it or leave it" tends to be very inefficient.

        Mr. Kulkis has not been moving to a libertarian utopia, to name
just one example.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:36:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

>So, at the next election, if the majority of people vote "yes"
>on Proposition 457:
>               "Loren Petrich shall be executed at sunrise"
>You are saying that this should be carried out, simply because
>the mob approved it?

        So what about that? The same could be said about a Constitutional
amendment stating the exact same thing. Of course, if it says "Aaron
Kulkis" instead...

>>         Mr. Kulkis makes a victim out of himself.
>In what way?  I don't need to mooch, I'm self-reliant.  I trade
>my talents and services for the things I need.

        This from someone who considers himself a victim of the government.

>>         Communism is NOT a unified front.
>This does nothing to disprove the testimony of SEVERAL defectors
>who all say that the whole "collapse of the Soviet Union" is a
>charade to get the US to unilaterally disarm.

        I've never heard of any such thing. But then again, birch trees
are not my usual habitat.

>How about I get my cousin in California to mount a petition
>drive to get such a proposition onto the California ballot?

        I'm confident that such an effort will fail miserably.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: If Microsoft starts renting apps
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:38:04 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 03:55:31 -0500, gLiTcH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>
>> "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" wrote:
>> >
>> > If you can get good, free sex from a friend, why pay a whore?
>> >
>> > Ferdinand

>> I know I'll get booed, but what the hell:
>>
>> Cause the whore is a pro, and probably knows how to do things that your
>> friend providing free sex doesn't.  Of course, these are the things that
>> cause heart-attacks and strokes (hmmm, I drew the analogy to Windows
>> even better than I thought I could).  And let's not forget the great
>> array of diseases provided by the whore.

        The only problem with this is the fact that the whore is a
        businessman. Much like Gates, she's only willing to put out
        as much , or rather as little as she can get away with. She
        will also likely treat the customer in a cold and distant
        manner.

        While it might take a shorter time for the 'pro' to find your
        buttons, she'll also be remarkably more expensive than the
        amateur in the meantime.

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \