  Re: How Can I contribute? (Tim Palmer)

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it   that).
Date: 2 Aug 2000 19:49:19 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you think a 10GB hard disk only holds 10GB of raw bits?  No, it's much
> more, but  after formatting it leaves 10GB of available bit storage.
Actually, what they sell you as a `10GB hard disk' holds 10*10000000*1024B=
9.53674 GB of raw bits as defined by the hard disk interface ...

> The reason for the compound document is to store things like pictures,
> versioning information, etc in a single document, so that if you move the
> document, you also move all it's embedded objects.  If you don't call that
> reasonable, then you are incapable of looking at it reasonably.
There's html.  There are tar and ar.  And if the document is the same
structure as a normal directory, then why not create an abstraction level
to allow one to handle a directory as a whole file and vice versa?

Oops, Linux can do that ...

> Average users don't create empty word documents *EVERY DAY* for a year.
> Where do they store all these emty documents anyways?
They let the admin do that.
The home users upgrade to a bigger computer with a bigger hard disk after
the year and are unable to copy the empty documents to the new hard disk,
so they can live with a new and hungrier MSO for the whole new year :-)

>> similar algorithms, to compress a larger document containing essentially
>> the same information as a smaller document to be as small or smaller
>> than the smaller document.
> Uhh... and your point is?
Apparently that the compression doesn't solve the problem created by
stupid design.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Green's Law of Debate:
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a free lunch?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:45:18 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:26:22 GMT, Perry Pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:06:29 GMT,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 2 Aug 2000 18:38:06 GMT, Perry Pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>That's basically my point. Except that....

>>>...In this case Donald Becker has gone beyond the needs for beowulf
>>>and provided a good deal of general ethernet driver support for the
>>>Linux kernel:
>>
>>      It's hard to make a distributed computing solution without a network.
>
>You don't need hundreds of different network cards to build a netowrk,
>and that's what those 40 different drivers support.

        Yes you do actually. Some Beowulfs go up to the 500 range.

        That and how distinct those 40 cards are is not entirely known.

        There could be some redundancy in there.

        Either way, 40 cards allows for better cost containment
        options than 4. So the work could still end up being a
        gain rather than a cost in the end.

>>[deletia]
>>>That's 40 different network drivers. Certainly more than what is
>>>needed for a beowulf, unless you are building an extremely
>>>heterogenous one. Nonetheless, the cost is still much less than what
>>>Linux has saved them.
>>
>>      It could entirely depend on the sort of budget involved and
>>      what kind of spare parts you have on hand. More cards supported
>>      means that you have better options choosing components and
>>      reusing spare parts.
>
>Go to www.beowulf.org and see what they used in their Beowulfs. Only a
>few different cards.
>

>>      Also, the them in this instance is more than just the department
>>      that Becker works for.
>
>It turns out, just one of them

        No, I'm talking about the other US government departments that
        are completely outside of NASA and have been able to better
        contain costs with this work.

        That's the value of sharing , even if it is only within a
        single government or company.

>[perrypip@x38 net]$ grep -li cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov *.c | grep -c .
>39
>
>39 of them developed at cesdis, where becker works.
>
>>      Plus, Becker's 'excessive' efforts likely enhance his own skills
>>      and understanding of components that would effect his own work
>>      as well as possibly allow him to drive development (quite possibly
>>      other people's efforts) in directions more beneficial to his
>>      own project.
>
>Yeah...or maybe Becker just wants to be a "nice guy" like Linus and
>Alan do. And FWIW, it's part of NASA's charter to provide spin-off
>technologies.
>
>>      Self-interest can pop up in the oddest places.
>
>Wanting to see one's self as a nice_guy(tm) is a form of
>self-interest, isn't it??

        Yup.

        So is hacking into the wee hours of the morning if that sort of
        activity is your idea of fun...

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: If Microsoft starts renting apps
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:39:48 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 14:04:17 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> >Um, the only problem?  Come now Jedi, surely you didn't think I meant
>> >that heart-attacks, strokes and 'the great array of diseases provided by
>> >the whore' were meant as good things?  Of course, I guess there are some
>> >that might see those as good things...
>>
>>         The disease part is avoidable.
>>
>>         My response disputes the Heart Attack and Stroke bits.
>
>OK, shall we now fight over what was meant as a joke?

        Sure, why not... '-)

>Nah, I got worse things to do with my time, er I mean...

        FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:16:11 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:58:22 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:10:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

[deletia]

>>>Already installed and configured.  Nothing to do but turn it on.
>>
>>      The same would be true of the Linux box, or BeOS box, or MacOS box.
>
>Except that we're talking about a Linux box with Quicken on it, and an
>unknown Windows emulator, which increases the complexity of the
>product quite a bit.  And just who's going to support all of this
>stuff, anyway?

        Any product that needs 3rd party support has failed to begin
        with. A robust solution wouldn't need any: 'support' as
        post-purchase user education (of just the Quicken part) excepted.

        It would be interesting to see real figures of people that use
        vendor support lines for tutorial services.

>>>Uh...no.  The Macsters will strongly disagree with that one, and I've
>>>got to also.  The Linux GUI isn't up to MacOS standards, much less
>>
>>      What standards?
>
>"Levels".

>>>Win2k standards.  It just isn't there yet.
>>>

>>      Be specific or dont bother.
>>      Your claims are entirely without merit.
>
>Because I think the Linux KDE and Gnome GUIs have a long, long way to
>go before they reach MacOS or Win2k levels of usability?  Somehow I

        Yup. A criticism without details is no real criticism at all.

>*really* doubt I'm in the minority on this one.  Linux GUI is hardly
>as good as MacOS or 2k.

        Trying to appeal to some notion of popularity doesn't count either.

        Of course those biased in favor of their particular other platform
        think theirs is the best. Whether or not they can actually express
        WHY, beyond the notion that it deviates from their prefered
        configuration is dubious.

[deletia]

        If you can't express what exactly is wrong with Linux on the
        desktop then it's pretty obvious that there is little holding
        it back there besides network effects.

From: tinman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451759
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:58:52 -0400

In article <pzUh5.1223$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here's today's Tinman digest:
>
> 1> Aw, pookie, did I say something wrong? ("
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

Why do you ask, if you believe that question wasn't directed at you?

> 2> Jumping into conversations again, eh Dave? ("
>
> On what basis do you ask that, Tinman?

On the basis that I wanted to know.

> 2> [snip]
>
> 3> No, he's blind--he does not C. ('
>
> Illogical.

But relevent.

> 4> He likes you Mark, and thinks you're worth his time. ('
>
> On what basis do you make that claim, Tinman?

On the basis of the amount of time you spent talking to him, obviously.

> 5> Of course he takes it that way--it's just Davie's method of inflating
> 5> his own self worth.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

You, Davie, it's all you. ('

> 5> You were lying when you claimed he wasn't worth any more of your
> 5> time, how could it be otherwise? You couldn't possibly have been
> 5> telling the truth.... ("
>
> Witness his continued responses to me, which means that I obviously
> am worth his time.

Could have sworn I just said that. ('

> 6> That would also suggest that he thinks all those he replies to as
> 6> reasonable. ('
>
> Illogical, Tinman.  There is a difference between replying to someone
> and taking their advice.

Who said anything about taking advice, pookie?

> 6> Since he is no longer replying to me,
>
> Incorrect, Tinman, obviously.

Not at the time I said it, you've been avoiding me, and now my feelings
are hurt. ('

> 6> I can only conclude he no longer thinks me reasonable--
>
> You're erroneously presupposing that I ever thought of you as reasonable,
> Tinman.

Given that you prefer to spend time with reasonable people, and you
spent a good deal of time with me.....

> 6> now my feelings are hurt. ('
>
> That's your problem, Tinman.

Aw, pookie, don't you care?

--
______
tinman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:08:51 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:51:09 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:57:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>      It's having more trouble breaking into a market with a lot more
>>      network effects to contend with but even there it is slowly
>>      gathering momentum.
>
>Yes - very slowly.  And in a few years it will really be there.

        In a few years, the old gaurd just be plain obsoleted.

        This is the biggest danger with Free Software (and ignoring it).

>>      In markets with simpler needs, it's simply outdoing Microsoft.
>>      (embedded end user applications and servers)
>
>On that I completely agree - when there's no software or other worries
>to tie a user to a platform, Linux does very well.

        ...that effect is bound spill over into general purpose
        computing for those with relatively meagre requirements.
        (which is quite a lot of people actually)

From: Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:00:37 -0400

On 2 Aug 2000 14:07:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip) wrote:

>>> We do. Microsoft doesn't.
>>
>>I believe the above question is still open. :-)
>
>Really? Then why did MS try to make IE part of the OS??

They didn't. They made IE part of *WINDOWS*, which has always been a
product consisting of *BOTH* an OS and a bunch of applications.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 2 Aug 2000 15:09:02 -0500

>>>But an entry level user would never know how to do that, would they?
>>
>>Every entry level windows user I've seen learned how to reboot
>>right away.  I think most could handle making one extra choice
>>there.
>
>What?  To:
>1.  Pay $200 for VMWare.
>2.  Pay $100 or so for Win98.
>3.  Install all of it, magically telling VMWare the "right" info.
>4.  Get it all working
>5.  Be on your own as far as support goes

No, unless you have some computer experience (but then you
probably have another computer for the windows programs).
I think it would make sense for a hardware vendor to preload
this configuration as an extra cost option.  Throw in
everything you can for free, say Linux with StarOffice
and all the usual goodies on the first drive, then for
an extra charge include a 2nd drive configured for
'windows-as-usual' and add the dual-boot and VMWare
setup.  Drives are cheap enough and the configuration
work would only have to be done once by the OEM.  I think
the retail price of VMWare is a bit too high but maybe
a dealer might work something out (and there is a project doing
a free version).

>  -  or  -
>
>1.  Buy a machine with Win98 or Win2k on it in the first place, for
>less money, be able to take it back to the store for support, and be
>able to call any of several places (and local support places) if
>something goes wrong with the software.

All of the support issues on the Win side become the same if
you boot from that drive.  The difference is that you have
access to all of the free software, and you don't have to
quit using that while you reboot Windows when you run it
under VMWare.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:05:11 GMT

On 2 Aug 2000 19:48:44 GMT,
Anthony D. Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Perry Pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anthony D. Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>"LAN consoles" are the client application programs mentioned in the post
>>>you responded to.
>>
>> application crach != console crash.
>
>WinNT crash != console crash. :-)

Yes it does. When NT crashes, your console crashes with it. When an
just an app dies, your console doesn't crash.

>There is no valid claim that WinNT crashed, that is usenet mythology. If
>you don't believe the people who were on the ship, a test platform
>actually not an operational ship, or the people who wrote the software
>then how about the the peole who broke the story:
>
>    http://206.144.247.86/archives/gcn/1998/november23/20.htm
>
>    Early speculation was that the problem lay in the Navys use of
>    Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, an operating system increasingly popular
>    in the government but not without its problems, as the string of
>    service packs emanating from Microsoft attest. But it turns out the
>    problem was bad software design that led a petty officer to crash a
>    database by entering a zero into a field. He was attempting to
>    calibrate a valve.

All this says is that a database bug initiated the problem. It doesn't
say that the NT machines weren't crashed by that bug.

>>>The server corrupted it's own database and naive client applications
>>>needed that database to function properly and to operate equipment.
>>
>> An engine control loop needs a database?? Please.
>
>Who said "engine control loop"?

Any modern engine today has a control loop. You have one in your car.

>The "LAN consoles" and "remote terminals" are used to operate equipment
>that controls the engine.

The "LAN consoles" and "remote terminals" CRASHED!!!!!
CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!!
CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!! CRASHED!!!!!

>Note the reference to "valve" in the above
>quotation.

Failure to calibrate a single valve does not take out a properly
designed engine room. Nice try.

Perry

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux should I try? (Sorry, reposting to correct error)
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:15:35 -0500

Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Palmer wrote:
>
>> Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Windo's and I am happie.
>> >
>> >Which half did you keep?
>>
>> The Windo's half.
>
>But which half of Windows?

Your dum.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:15:45 -0500

Slava Pestov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim (little boy) Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Or you can get Windo's and not half to ty[e annything at all.
>>

>I don't have to ty[e anything on Linux, either. In fact, I can't
>remember the last time I ty[ed anything, on any OS.

Lier. You tipe every time you log in.

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:06:28 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 14:04:17 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >OK, shall we now fight over what was meant as a joke?
>
>         Sure, why not... '-)
>

> >Nah, I got worse things to do with my time, er I mean...
>
>         FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

As the children gather around the two combatants the circle forms...

Then suddenly a shout goes up, "Here comes the principle!" and the crowd
quickly disipates.

;-)

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:09:23 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:00:37 -0400,
Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>I believe the above question is still open. :-)
>>
>>Really? Then why did MS try to make IE part of the OS??
>>

>They didn't. They made IE part of *WINDOWS*, which has always been a
>product consisting of *BOTH* an OS and a bunch of applications.

Which they inseparably glue together. Poor design, and only done for
purposes of extending a monopoly.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake?
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:15:55 -0500

Kevin Croxen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think what our semiliterate friend meant to say was
>edit the lilo.config and then rerun lilo as root.
>
>Now while I'm not familiar with Mandrake itself, I
>can say that most distributions allow you to do this
>operation from within their install routines; SuSE
>for example has a "modify boot configuration" panel
>in its YaST routine. Mandrake presumably has the
>equivalent. Otherwise, just edit the lilo.config
>manually to set the default OS and the delay, then
>post editing run lilo to load your modified
>configuration. As always when fiddling with Linux's
>boot configuration, make sure you have a
>bootdisk ready so that in the unlikely event something
>goes wrong and your system fails to boot with its
>modification, you can boot your installed system from the
>bootdisk and take a second stab at editing the lilo.config

 ...accept UNIX like dum abbriviations and call it LILO.CONF.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Can I contribute?
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:16:05 -0500

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Palmer wrote:
>>
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Is that how they do it at Microsoft?
>>
>> No thats how thay do it at Linu's butholl party.
>
>Keep smokin that crack, Timmy

Linux is the one that smoke's pott.

>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer
>ICQ # 3056642
>
>I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>    premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>    you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>    you are lazy, stupid people"
>
>J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>   challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>   between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
>A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
>
>B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.
>
>C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
>   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
>   that she doesn't like.
>
>D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.
>
>E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>   ...despite (D) above.
>
>F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
>   response until their behavior improves.
>
>G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>   adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
>H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

Your a retard to Aron, what's your point.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:16:15 -0500

Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I alreaddy told you its a DOS box on LIE-nux.
>
>You can't spell "already," and xterm doesn't have a command line.
>It requires a shell for that.
>

>C/

What happen's when you open an xterm? A DOS box pops up, compleat with a COMMAND
prompt.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2 Aug 2000 16:16:26 -0500

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Palmer wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I am working for a company which already have open sourced device
>> >drivers and applications for linux.  We have certain kerna patches
>> >and device driver enhancements that we like to contribute to Linux
>> >community in general.  Who should we contact?  Thanks for any
>> >pointers!
>>
>> Contact you're butholl.
>
>He wasn't asking how to get in touch with you Timmay!

Sorrey I'm not a fudje-packing faggit like Linux.