From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux programmers dont live on this planet!
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:52:07 GMT

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Glitch wrote:
> >
> > Is there an equivalent in the Windows world to an X server?  Just so
> > that users coming from a background of Windows (like myself) can grasp
> > the idea little better.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brandon
> >

> I forgot to mention the most important attribute of X, the fact that it
> is a server.  This means that its role is to provide graphics services
> to programs hooking to it, regardless of OS or location.  The
> implications are considerable.
>
> If you've ever used, for example Traveling Software or vnc for remotely
> operating a Windows system you can immediately see a problem.  Not only
> are program commands and responses sent back and forth over the net, the
> entire screen must be copied, pixel by pixel, across your connection
> from the Windows computer to whatever window you're using locally, and
> it has to happen every time something happens on the screen, an
> incredibly slow process which consumes massive amounts of resources on
> both computers as well as the network.  Various schemes have been
> employed to lessen the impact, such as sending only that which has
> changed, etc., but I've found the workarounds to be cumbersome, even on
> my home network with a 100mbs connection.
>
> The X system uses a far better method for managing remote programs.  One
> can use a remote environment including programs and for graphics
> rendering they will use your local copy of X, rather than the remote
> graphics as in Windows.  This means that the remote program, which
> doesn't care where it needs to send graphics or receive mouse or
> keyboard events, can be run from anywhere and simply tell your local
> computer how it wants the screen to look, rather than painting the whole
> screen and sending it verbatum over the network.
>
> So you can be running a Linux box and connect over the int**net to, say
> that SGI monster running AIX, run some graphics program requiring lots
> of muscle, as fast as your Linux computer will render graphics, rather
> than being limited to your bandwidth.

Sorry.  Error.  I don't know of any SGI systems running AIX.  *oops*
Should have been IRIX.

--

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: businesses are psychopaths
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:53:01 GMT

Perry Pip wrote:

> While most people would agree beach sand being white yellow is trivial
> there are few who would agree with your aburd claim that most
> businesses are psychopaths.

Anyone with a copy of the DSM-III and not stupid/right-wing enough to
buy into the "What's good for GM is good for America!" propaganda will
agree that the observation that 'businesses -> psychopaths' is trivial. It
takes a grand total of two steps to prove it: 1) statement of the definition,

2) statement of business' motivation straight from senior managers' mouths.
And if someone doesn't grok it then there are two additional steps, 3)
handwaving frantically, 4) slapping them upside the head.

Here, I'll even do it for you:

1) if a person views other human beings merely as tools to be exploited
    then they are a psychopath (this is the point at which bright people will

    say to themselves "yup, businesses are psychopaths")
2) corporations view their employees as assets only and nothing matters
    beyond the bottom line.

> Are you developing GPLed software? What are you working on. Where can
> I get the code?

It's pre-alpha (and likely to remain in that state for years). And I doubt
it would interest you since it wouldn't run on *nix. Or Windoze. Or Mac.

> Your not hurting my feelings. You're amusing me...though starting to
> get a little boring. I am only responding at this point to query you
> as to what software you are developing.

You'll just have to hope the suspense doesn't kill you.

> >The original
> >example was extorting money from a deparate neighbour you like
> >just because you're moving and won't have to deal with them again.
>
> Huh?? Who does this shit?? Where do you come up with this?? You have a
> pretty dismal view of the world.

Opening your eyes to reality as it is can be disheartening. Try it if you
don't believe me (eg, by talking to a Libertarian for more than 5 minutes).
And it wasn't my example, I believe it was Morphis'.

Note that when a business extorts money from a desparate neighbour
they like just because they're moving on and won't deal with them again,
this is called "good business sense". When a human does it, it's repre-
hensible. When a business does it, it's expected. And you don't believe
that businesses are psychopaths?

> >Just like you don't blindly follow doctors, pharmacists, chemists,
> >engineers, architects, mathematicians and logicians, right?
>
> I don't. I take everything with a grain of salt. All the above tend to
> use more scientific methods than religions and philosophers and are
> thus more believable.

I just love how people worship the Scientific Method. Please
explain how math uses the "scientific method" and when you're
done explaining, you might understand what philosophers do.

> You have an extremely dismal view of the world. You claim it is in
> everone's true self interest to just be an asshole. To try to prove
> it, you exclusively look at the most dismal examples of human
> behaviour and take them to be the rule and not the exception.

Unlike you, I don't /assume/ that people are motivated by self-
interest and redefine the word to match people's behaviour.
Rather, I define the word and then /verify/ whether people act
according to self-interest. They do not, and that is a Good Thing.

> You are
> the one who claimed the human race will go exctinct in 500 years. Why
> don't you do as someone suggested and start by killing yourself. It
> will put you out of your misery.

That's just the kind of selfish behaviour I'd expect you to suggest.
Note: not everyone handles existential angst as badly as you seem to.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:46:55 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> > >
> > > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> > >    [...]
> > >
> > > A) You are not "buying" anything when you pay taxes.
> >
> > Fine.  Shut down the government then.
>
> So you're an anarchist now?
>
> > > B) A head tax is a non-tax within the context of these discussions.
> >
> > that's like declaring multiplication to be non-mathematical with the
> > context of these discussions.
> >

> > > I honestly didn't figure you were that stupid, Aaron.  You wouldn't
> > > even get the short waiting period before they'd kill all the rich
> > > people with your system.
> >
> > Progressive income taxes are immoral flat-rate income taxes are
> > immoral
>
> A social safety net is immoral? Fair distribution of resources is
> immoral?
>
> I bet you also have some good reasons why the minimum wage, labor rights
> and unions are immoral.
>
> > Wealth Redistribution is slavery of the workers.
>
> The workers? :::BOGGLE:::\

When you STEAL from ONE WORKER to give it to someone who ISN'T WORKING,
then you are ENSLAVING THAT WORKER.

Only an *idiot* "boggles" at such a clear-cut explanation.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:47:59 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [...]
> >>
> >> Oh, so you're a *Marxist*.
> >
> >You seem to have a penchant for making statements that are 100% wrong.
>
> I was teasing him.
>
> >Marxism advocates wealth redistribution. Aaron does not. Ergo, Aaron is
> >actually an _anti_ Marxist.
>
> Marxist use a lot of "slavery of the workers" rhetoric.  So does Aaron.
> Ergo, Aaron may be a marxist.

No...just using their own tactics against them...
....even using the "Hagelian dielectic" against them

hehehhehehehe

> >But that won't stop you from throwing around terms you don't understand,
> >I guess.
>
> I would think, being something of a troll yourself, you would have
> recognized trolling when you saw it.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
>    of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
>        Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:49:02 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ZnU wrote:

> > > It isn't really a surplus, it's just money they haven't decided
> > > what to do with yet. Gore wants better education, targeted tax cuts
> > > for the less
> >
> > Define "targeted tax cuts" in concrete terms.
> >
> > WHO gets the tax cuts? How much?
>
> http://www.algore.com/budget_and_taxes/tax_agenda1.html
>
> > How will AlGore "improve" education?
>
> http://www.algore.com/education/edu_agenda1.html
>
> > That's the jobs of the school boards, principles, and teachers.
> > *THEY* can improve education any time they want to, merely be
> > re-instituting rational curricula and strong discipline within the
> > school.
>
> Even though they're working in 40 person classes is run-down buildings
> with no textbooks?

Name one.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:50:02 -0400

JS/PL wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > How will AlGore "improve" education?  That's the jobs of the
> > school boards, principles, and teachers.  *THEY* can improve
> > education any time they want to, merely be re-instituting
> > rational curricula and strong discipline within the school.
>
> Wrong.
>
> The government cannot improve the current government provided education,
> only competition in a free market can "improve a product or service". Any
> polititian that promises to improve education is lying through his/her
> teeth. The only way the government can "improve education" is to get out of
> the education business. Al Gore WILL NOT improve education, a school board
> will not improve education, a principal will not improve education.A
> business in a competitive market seeking customers WILL improve education.
> A private school can teach twice as much in half the time. The way it stands
> now the government needs 12 years to teach 60% of it's students basic math
> and reading skills. That's not a good track record.

Very well put.

The only way to improve education is to privatize all of it...
and the sooner the better.

Personally, I think that sending a kid to public schools these
days borders on child-abuse.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Voltage Spike)
Subject: Re: Linus says Mindcraft was accurate
Date: 24 Aug 2000 18:01:32 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:02:11 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was heard to say:

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:37:44 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>> Another thing that I often wonder is why does linux (also 'Arachne' DOS
>>> browser, apple mac and most if not all non-babybill based machines) need to
>>> have things like the DNS settings manually entered. Perhaps the teams behind
>>> the linux ppp code could find a way to reverse-engineer the windblows ppp
>>> code and work out how they do this automatically (and share the info with
>>> apple and arachne labs).
>
>I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.  It's done exactly once.
>(Unless the ISP likes to mutate itself every few months, mind you. :-) )
>
>[.sigsnip]
>
>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here

    Wow!  Windows automatically detects my DNS numbers!  Guess what, so
does Linux.  I have successfully used "auto-DNS" (my name) with
'linuxconf', 'kppp', and (I think) with 'gnome-ppp'.  I believe that there
is no "reverse engineering" involved as it is an optional part of the ppp
spec.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:00:04 -0400

JS/PL wrote:

> "Andre Ervin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > That's SOOOO OLD. Nothing is that simple. It's more of a 50 year old
> > > democratic slogan than anything. Not even worthy of argument except to
> say
> > > 95% of the poor are in that situation by choice, it's the five out of
> 100
> > > poor that need a hand.
> >
> > Proof?  For that matter, how many truly poor people do you know?
>
> I've met a lot of truly poor people in my life, and myself have been pleny
> broke and hungry. I never blamed anyone - especially "the rich" for my
> problems though, I blamed myself.
> If you are a poor adult, it is most generaly it is your own fault. I was
> broke and jobless in 1980 and figuring out who to blame when President Regan
> held up page after page of the help wanted ads on national television in
> response to a question on why so many people were out of work. And he was
> right.

Ever notice how the democrats will claim that those are
"dead end burger-flipping jobs" and at the SAME TIME claim that
"nobody is qualified" for those same jobs.

They can't have it both ways.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.