Linux-Advocacy Digest #671, Volume #28           Sun, 27 Aug 00 02:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:   Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates) (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (ZnU)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 05:11:51 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 00:52:09 GMT, Courageous wrote:

>> I never accused Aaron of this. Your implicit assumption that I did is
>> pure illogic.
>
>Then what, precisely, were you accusing him of?
>My dictionary isn't really very helpful. Were
>you accusing him of promoting a system whereby
>individuals swore fealty to their lords?

Mr Kulkis and I are not in substantial disagreement about
*what* feudalism is. I consider him a feudalist by his own
definition, and he doesn't. That's what the debate is about.
For the purpose of this debate, I am prepared to defer to
the ad-hoc definition proposed by Kulkis.

Disagreements as to the correctness of this definition are
not relevant to the debate. In conclusion, I invite you to
contribute something both logical and relevant to the discussion.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:   Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:15:38 -0400

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Asher Langton wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> <snip everything>
>>
>> Being new to c.o.l.a., I ran a deja.com search on posts by this Kulkis
>> to see why he's such an irritating moron.  And surprise, surprise, his
>> posts reveal that he's not only irritating, but also a completely Foul
>
>Yes, I am a severe irritation to stupid people.

Pardon, Aaron, but you are an irritation to smart people, as well.  And
part of the reason you can be a severe irritation is because you would
like to characterize everyone who finds you irritating as stupid, by
your remark.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 05:15:10 GMT

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:00:06 -0400, Eric Bennett wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:11:01 -0400, Eric Bennett wrote:
>>
>> >Various social and development programs, including Social Security and
>> >Medicare, account for 62%.  (This was broken down into three categories,
>> >perhaps to make it look like less: "Social Security, Medicare, and other
>>
>> Or perhaps it was broken down because (a) each of the items was fairly
>> large and (b) the three items are in fact quite different, though they
>> may be the same to the right wing nuts and the neo-feudalists.
>
>I'm always amused when people call me an extremist, given that I'm

I wasn't talking about you. ( bet you can't guess who I might have been
talking about ... )

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 05:27:56 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 04:42:08 GMT, ZnU wrote:

>You're not making _two_ totally unjustified assumptions:
>
>1) Those who make lots of money do so because they are genetically
>superior to those who don't.
>2) Intelligent children cannot be born to people of average or below
>average intelligence.

He'll no doubt point you to "The Bell Curve" at this stage. However, this
book does not really support the above hypothesis (1).
Indeed, the authors display a concern that their material is likely to be
mis-applied by idiots (2), and explicitly caution against making these kinds of
assumptions in individual cases.

(1)     The book makes the somewhat weaker claim that intelligence and
income are correlated, and that intelligence has some heritability.
What they don't do is display the simple-minded bigotry exhibited by
Kulkis.

(2)     But they rightly conclude that this is not in itself a legitimate
to stifle debate on the subject matter they address
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:23:05 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ZnU wrote:

> > > No. What I "innately ABHOR" is the idea that some people get tons
> > > of money without doing a thing to earn it while others work hard
> > > their
> >                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > entire lives and stay poor.
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Spot the lie.
>
> The lie is your elitist rhetoric.

Are you saying that everyone has equal capabilities and abilities?

If so, then why aren't you playing in the NFL ?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:24:01 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 22:06:49 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> >> What do you mean by "lousy results" ? The kids in public schools probably
> >> aren't as good on average,
> >
> >And why is that?
>
> They're more likely to have a competitive  admissions process.

And how are these kids more competitive than other kids?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:25:53 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Marion
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Perry Pip wrote:
> >
> > > And you want my taxes to pay for vouchers for that shit? No way.
> >
> > As someone who started out in public schools, then switched to
> > private school, I can say without a doubt that the education I got at
> > the private school was _much_ better then I could've gotten in the
> > public system.  My parents sacrificed a lot for my sister and I (and
> > we both let them know that we appreciate what they did) to go to
> > private school.  I have plenty of friends that went to public school
> > that wish they could've also gone to private school and talk about
> > how bad they were/are.
>
> It depends where you live. In rich suburbs, the public schools are of
> very high quality. They're properly funded. In inner cities, they're
> woefully underfunded, and they're horrible.
>
> > BTW, I think the proper system would be to give a tax credit for
> > someone that sends their kids to private schools.. which wouldn't
> > cost you anything in taxes.
>
> The solution is to properly fund inner city schools, not drain even more
> money away from them.

The city of Detroit spends $11,000 per pupil...almost TRIPLE what
many private schools spend.

And yet, the Detroit Public Schools are among the worst in the country.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:27:18 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe
> Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ZnU
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > It depends where you live. In rich suburbs, the public schools are of
> > > very high quality. They're properly funded. In inner cities, they're
> > > woefully underfunded, and they're horrible.
> >
> > You might want to check your facts.
> >
> > The funding level in some of those inner city schools isn't very
> > different from suburban spending.
>
> In 1992 in New York state the richest (suburban, of course) school
> district spent $38,572 per student vs. $5,423 for the poorest (inner
> city).
>
> In Texas, it was $42,000 vs. $3,098.
>
> In Illinois, it was $16,700 vs. $2,276.

In Michigan, the highest per-pupil spender is the Detroit Public
Schools,
which also has had the worst performance for the last 10+ years.

Obviously, the solution involves something OTHER than money.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:28:25 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe
> Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Let's see. 8% of $1.7 trillion is $136 BILLION. Or $500 for every man,
> > woman, and child in the U.S.
> >
> > Not to mention the billions being spent by the states, as well.
> >
> > And the other welfare programs.
> >
> > "Only" 8%, indeed.
>
> What do you pay in taxes? Take 8% of that. Ask yourself if it's worth
> that amount to prevent millions of children from starving to death.

Cut the crap.  Nobody is in danger of starving in this country.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 05:36:00 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > Spot the lie.
> >
> > The lie is your elitist rhetoric.
>

> Are you saying that everyone has equal capabilities and abilities?

No. But I am claiming that intelligence isn't divided along economic
lines.

> If so, then why aren't you playing in the NFL ?

--
This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://znu.dhs.org>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:31:25 -0400

Peter Ammon wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Peter Ammon wrote:

> > > That's obviously false...the rich do pay a higher percentage of their
> > > income in taxes.  But they also can afford to, since the marginal
> > > utility of money is higher for the poor than the rich.  After all, a
> > > poor person needs each additional dollar more than a rich person.
> > > What's not so obvious is whether the poor pay a smaller percentage of
> > > what they can afford.
> > >
> > > I'm not saying that "everyone pays an equal percentage of what they can
> > > afford" is necessarily a just taxation system, but it does seem to be
> > > the philosophy behind a progressive tax.
> >
> > And by that same philosophy, if the guy earning $10,000/year pays
> > $1.50/pound for hamburger, then the guy earning $30,000/year should pay
> > $4.50/pound (or more) for hamburger.
>
> Why do you think that movie theaters offer reduced prices for children
> under 12?  Why do you think that senior citizens get discounts on so
> many things?

Because even at the reduced prices, the businesses are STILL making
a profit **AND** the hope is that the seniors will drag other,
"regular price" family members in with them.

> (There's an economics term for charging people different amounts
> depending on who they are or the quantities they buy, but I forget it.)
>
> Ironically, charging people different amounts based on what they can
> afford and are willing to pay is the ultimate expression of a monopoly.

So, what you're saying is, Progressive income tax rates are
representative of the behavior of the WORST price-gouging monopolies.

Thank you very, very, very much for that admission.

GAME
SET
MATCH

Progressive income tax rates are akin to price-grouging.

> It maximizes the producer's profit and sets the consumer's net enjoyment
> or benefit to zero.  IOW, it's the Republicans' collective wet dream.
>
> -Peter

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.