From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computer and memory
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:22:04 -0400

Ingemar Lundin wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > No Name wrote:

> communications
> Internet
> telephone

> > > Which proves my intial point. I would like to see what happens if a
> > > similar non American company tried to do the same in the US. They would
> > > be denied permission to trade in the US for the same motive I'll
> > > quote for the 3rd time: a Telecom company has to be owned by US
> citizens.
> > >
> > > No wonder 3rd world countries are excited, but when those same 3rd
> > > world countries try to sell their products in the US they find all kind
> > > of protectionist measures, which has been my point in this thread: the
> >
> > It has nothing to do with market protectionism and EVERYTHNG to
> > do with national defense.
> >

> national defence?
>
> <LoL> against what?...el salvador invading usa?

No...fucking dimbulb

Internal Communications are vital to the national defense of ANY
country.
Laying wire is a slow, labor intensive process.

Having your internal commo in the hands of foreigners is downright
stupid.

No country on the face of the earth entrusts their communications and
other vital infrastructures to foreigners unless they have no means to
do it on their own (case in point: Saudi Arabia...who rely upon
westerners
to run their phone system).

> typical paranoid right-wing thinking...
>
> /IL

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:23:33 -0700

David M. Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:08:24 GMT, Jake Taense <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >From XFree86's web site she found that TrueType support was introduced in
> >version 4. She knew she had 3.3.6. There was no hint that RedHat's
> >distribution of XFree86 wasn't standard, and she had no reason to suspect
>
> Does this not suggest to you that Red Hat is to blame for not making this
> clear, not the XFree86 folks?

Before blaming Red Hat this information from their website has to be taken
into consideration:

======

What is xfs and what do I need to do to get it started?

xfs is an X Font Server included with the recent versions of Red Hat
Linux. The version of xfs included with Red Hat Linux has been patched to
provide enhancements to the stock XFree86 version. The version of xfs on
Red Hat Linux is capable of serving both TrueType and Type 1 fonts as well
as legacy X fonts. In addition, xfs should improve performance as the job
of serving fonts is off-loaded from the X server into a separate process.

In order to get this going, you need to be running Red Hat Linux 6.0 or
newer. You also need to have networking and xfs service installed and
running. Please note that if you have upgraded any of the XFree86
packages from sources other than Red Hat, you may not have all the
enhancements available. More than likely in this case, X will crash and
burn :)

======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: filename extensions are NOT a kludge
Date: 20 Sep 2000 04:32:25 GMT

On 20 Sep 2000 02:23:28 GMT, FM wrote:
>Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>It would make it more complicated to *learn* and even recall.
>>Man, you /have/ had your brain fried by C/C++.
>
>You should re-examine your own brain instead. If I
>remember correctly, you don't even know C/C++.

As a C++ user, one thing that I have learned to despise is gratuitous
side effects ( for example, the error prone ostrstream interface which
automatically calls freeze() when you call str() ) and gratuitous
overloading ( usually on the part of inexperienced programmers who don't
know better. geesh, why not just have one name per class to make things
"simpler" ;-).

The thing about C++ is that it lets you do it either way, and you learn
for yourself pretty quickly that there is a right way and a wrong way
to do this kind of thing. Maybe "Richard" should take a remedial course
in OO design and get back to us (-;

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The internet was built on WIndow 95? (was Re: How low can they go...?)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:40:34 -0000

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        >snip<
: You're assuming that the driver comes with the distribution.  That won't
: always be the case.  Part of the PnP spec is that when devices are swapped
: in, and no device driver is present, it prompts to install drivers.

        Prompt who, I wonder?

        The PnP spec is incredibly Windows desktop biased.  The various
        Linux, *BSD, x86 Unix, etc systems have done a remarkable job
        utilizing the relevant and useful parts of PnP as it pertains to a
        unix environment while not getting bogged down in the explicitly
        Windows-centric aspects (such as "prompt to install drivers").

: Suppose that in some not too distant future, Linux becomes ubiquitious
: enough that most vendors start shipping Linux drivers with new products.
: What happens when you plug a device released this week into your year old
: installation of Linux?  Nothing.

        Good.  That's exactly what should happen.

        Sadly, Linux will likely change to match this as well as it moves
        forward in its attempt to be a legitimate desktop system...

:> Linux drivers tend to be fairly generic.  Essentially, the driver
:> software is focused on a chip, rather than a card.  The card
:> identification is mapped to the appropriate chip, what is left is which
:> interrupts and I/O ports can be used with that chip. Most of this can be
:> configured with Linuxconf, and in some cases, switching cards simply
:> means a different ID, but the same interrupts and I/O can be used.
:
: That's not PnP.

        You're right, it's not....thank goodness.

--
-Zenin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                   From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:32:08 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> WimpyDyno wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Yes... you sided with the loser eco-propagandist.

> > > When ignorant assholes refuse to cease and desist from spreading lies,
> > > then...i turn up the heat.
> >
> > You're more than a bit of an asshole yourself.  AFAIC, this thread is
> > over.  It seems no one wants real information or reason, only what they
> > want to hear.
>
> Translation: WimpyDyno concedes defeat.

Actually you've admitted defeat by name calling and being unable to
provide proof for claims and making outright lies.  Congratulations
Aaron, you deserve it.

------------------------------

From: Dean Plude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: New Linux Install
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:44:31 GMT

Blake Leverett wrote:

> A little advice:
>
> 1. Make a detailed list of all hardware you have, including
> settings.  Also include BIOS settings.
> 2. Read a little about stuff you don't understand, then proceed.
> 3. Have a pencil and paper handy to record what happens, plus all
> the information that springs forth during the install that will
> be useful later.
>
> OR
>
> Just stick the CD in and go for it.  In case of troubles, goto
> step #1 above.
>
> Blake Leverett
>
> ps Draper?  Are you a fellow MIT grad?
>
> James M. Luongo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I plan on installing Linux Mandrake 7.1 for the first time.  I need some
> > help.  How big should the partitions be?  And, I heard something about
> > LiLo not recognizing a Linux partition after a certain disk cylinder (or
> > sector, whatever).  I think it was 1023, but I'm not sure.  Is this
> > true?  Help!
> > --
> > ------------------------
> > James M. Luongo  x1427
> > Draper Laboratory Room 4207
> > ------------------------

Mandrake 7.1 no longer has that problem use GRUB when prompted for a boot
loader

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:44:36 GMT

I said almost because their MIGHT be one or two
pieces of software that weren't for Windows, but
I couldn't find 'em.

http://www.spaceref.com/shuttle/computer/spoc/

(click on a few of the links/screenshots on the left)

They even use Windows (NT apparently) to control
life-support systems including warning and
monitoring systems:

http://www.spaceref.com/shuttle/computer/spoc/cautwarn.html

Here's an example of one of the three network diagrams
they have for the space shuttle and space station:

http://www.spaceref.com/shuttle/computer/106.LAN.nominal.html

At least a few of them are windows, but, judging by the
software it says the no-named-OS computers are running,
it appears they are Windows as well.

No mention of Linux, MacOS, or *laf* OS/2

Guess they actually want some productivity. They also
trust their lives to it because they know that when it's
properly set up, NT can be the most stable OS available
(2nd only to Win2k, of course).

-Chad