  Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT ("Stuart Fox")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:58:00 -0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>Nathaniel Jay Lee writes:
>
>>> Try directing your fire extinguisher at the base of the flames.  It's
>>> more effective that way.  Feel free to count the number of words
>>> posted by Jason, Aaron, and myself to this global warming thread
>>> prior to the time of your complaint.  Then tell me why you're
>>> complaining to me and not them.
>
>> I came complaining to you because all that you did was
>> repeat your favorite phrase over and over and over.
>
>Incorrect.  I see that you didn't bother to count.  No surprise
>there.  Here's another "favorite phrase" for you:  you just made
>an unsbstantiated claim.

I didn't need to count, because quite honestly I was
bothered by your stupid cut-n-paste tactics.

>> I'm sick of seeing you say the same things over and over and
>> over and I've only read a very few of your posts.
>
>See a doctor.

Fucking twit.

>> I'm not trying to put out the fire caused by my flames to you,
>
>I was talking about the fire that Jason and Aaron were pouring
>fuel on.

That was an interesting fire to watch.  I personally held
no prejudice towards them in this debate, and enjoyed
watching it (even if it wasn't the most productive debate
in the world, it was fun to watch).

>> I'm just trying to prevent others from being burned by flames
>> that aren't aimed at them.
>
>Why aren't you trying to put out flames, regardless of who they
>are aimed at?  Oh, that's right.  You like morons as long as they
>are entertaining, including their flames.

There's a big difference between saying "I don't mind" and
"I like".  A really big difference.  I would consider a
moron a friend.  But I would watch them from a distance
and laugh heartily at their idiotic escapades.  Have you
never watched a Jim Carey movie?

>> I was not bothered by the conversation between Aaron and
>> Jason because they were at least writing 'something'
>
>Like insults.  Interesting that you weren't bothered by that.

Insults can be funny.  Aaron is in my killfile, so the
only insults I see from him are the ones that someone
decided to respond to.  As far as any other insults, you
take things way to personally to be a part of usenet if
you take every insult as some grand injustice.

>> instead of just hitting 'cut-n-paste' a thousand times and
>> trying to pretend that showed how intelligent they were.
>
>Who allegedly did that in the "Global Warming" thread, Nathaniel?

Who alledgedly did that was you moron.  Every post you
make is a direct copy of something else (except this one
suprisingly).  Oh, why don't you make up some non-sensical
crap name to call me every time you use my name.  Here's
one for you:
"Our-guy-that-can't-put-up-with-tholen's-stupidity-any-longer".

Cut-n-paste that a thousand times you fucking moron.  I
won't see it.  You've joined Aaron in my illustrious
killfile.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:03:30 -0000

Jack Troughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>Aaron, you cannot call this stuff propaganda and lies and expect it
>to stick just because you say so. You have not yet offered one piece
>of real evidence that this is the case. You haven't even offered any
>real evidence that the people who think there might be a problem are
>even wrong. Your opinion does not suffice as evidence. Your rudeness
>makes it even less so.
>
>Clearly you have no real leg to stand on. All you do is to mentally
>masturbate and proudly display your self-abusing tendencies by
>spraying your logorrheic discharge all over the world via usenet.

Wow, that's one of the coolest things I've seen anybody
say to Aaron since the last "Why is Aaron's
pain-in-the-ass sig so long" thread.  Mind if I borrow
that for a sig line?

>Wow, nice display of how not to win friends and influence people.
>You are a spoiled child.

That is definitely one of his strong suits.

[snip valid observation]

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Tholen & Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:09:29 +0000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:52:59 GMT, "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
comp.sys.mac.advocacy wrote:

>Tholen tholes, unfortunately for everyone save him:
>
>> > My second point: show some goddamned originality.
>>
>> Why should I waste originality on someone like Mark Kelley?
>
>Nathaniel, you have to realize, Tholen *can't* be original, he *must* employ
>his stock phrases because that's all he has.  If ever he were to enter into
>the spirit of a debate, he'd be lost...which, come to think of it, isn't
>that bad of an idea...

Yet as tholen is immitative (given sufficient repetition and time on
task), he can be trained to add seemingly new material to his
repertoire.

Evidence: when I taught him to question others' reading comprehension.

True, it is easier to get a masturbation-addicted lab monkey to focus
than tholen, but science is about challenges.

MOUL

------------------------------

From: lyttlec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!!
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:29:06 GMT

Using a Trojan device driver is the simplest way to do it. The hacker
sites show methods that consist of pushing machine code into memory and
then generating a fault that causes the new code to run. This is
possible because some parts of NT bypass the HAL and go directly to I/O.
I don't want to post the exact code here, but those intrested can find
it on many hacker sites and virus analysis sites. It does take quiet a
bit more knowledge and care than the average VB script kiddie has time
for.

------------------------------

From: Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:48:30 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lars Träger) wrote:

>> Your opinion. I am sure that many W2K developers would say the same
>> thing about MacOS.
>>
>> Still the opinion of ONE developer is NOT going to get me to switch
>> systems!
>
>You don't get it, it's not that ONE developer likes MacOS X, it's that
>THIS one developer likes MacOS X. Both Wintrolls and Linutix were
>triumphant when Carmack said "MacOS sux" 2-3 years ago, because his word
>was gospell.

I agree. I think people underestimate how much influence that little
game company has over the personal computer industry. Operating
systems and productivity applications have been seeing diminishing
returns from hardware upgrades for years now. The hardware market is
now driven almost entirely by games, and id Software in my opinion has
more clout than all the rest combined.

Personally, I'd love for MacOS X to be a huge success. Win2K needs the
competition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:49:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Brian V. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <eNqy5.27045$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:writes:
: |> In comp.os.linux.misc Brian V. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: |> : Really?  Which ones were those that came with the source code?
: |> BSD
: |> Perhaps the original AT&T UNIX as well?
: I think you had to pay as well as sign a non-disclosure agreement
: to get the AT&T (then Bell Labs) Unix sources.

I believe you're right, but you still got the source code.

--
   Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"You're one of those condescending UNIX users! ...."

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:38:34 +0100

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, chrisv wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 00:44:05 +0100, Garry Knight
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I remember sitting in my local launderette building a Forth-based OS for the
>>Spectrum by writing opcodes into a pocket notebook (which, of course, in those
>>days was made of paper). Ah, the good ol' days...  :o)
>
>You think that's bad,

I don't, actually. I loved every minute of it. And there's been no hope for me
ever since... :o)

>in tech school (early 80's) we each had to build
>a simple Z80 computer.  Programming this computer was done via direct
>machine-code (of course).  The really bad part was that loading the
>program into memory consisted of flipping switches on a 8-position DIP
>switch for each byte, followed by a press of a button to load that
>byte in.  Talk about stupid!

Looks like we're headed for another re-run of Monty Python's "Three
Yorkshiremen" sketch. "Luxury! When I were a lad we 'ad to bite code in't ROM
wi' ower teeth!"...

--
Garry Knight

From: PoD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm back!  This group has sunk to a new low
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 02:25:43 +0930

I'm back!  This group has sunk to a new low ;-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 19:01:01 +0100

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, dc
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >*You're* the one with your knickers in a bunch, not me. That makes it your
> >problem.
> I am?  You're the one whining because I won't explain it to you, so
> it's pretty obvious it's your problem, CLund.

You're the one who keeps accusing me of being ignorant. But when you're so
very incapable of producing any kind of information on your own (re the
difference between W98 and W2K), it would seem you're just as ignorant as
I am.

--

C Lund
http://www.notam.uio.no/~clund/

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:09:03 +0100

"Bryant Brandon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, dc
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>    Obviously, except that the C: drive is hidden.  We can only save
> files to a couple of network volumes, storing the physical data on a
> server, or we can save to a floppy.  The only thing that can touch the
> C: drive is W2K, which seems to have a habit of slowly chewing up the
> disk.

With what exactly?  Presumably if it's filling up the drive you can find out
what it is?