Linux-Advocacy Digest #355, Volume #29           Fri, 29 Sep 00 09:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (FM)
  RE: What're Linus's computer/laptop specs? ("Raul Iglesias")
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time? (Pete
Goodwin)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Roberto
Selbach Teixeira)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Roberto
Selbach Teixeira)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time? ("George")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: How low can they go...? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time? ("George")
  Re: How low can they go...? ("James A. Robertson")
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Roberto
Alsina)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: 29 Sep 2000 08:59:03 GMT

Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Like what? Java? Sure, I'll give it a whirl (maybe one day) but I *know*
>that I am not much of a coder...

Well I don't *code* much at all either. And I was thinking
of languages like Scheme, ML, Dylan, and even Common Lisp.
Java is too restrictive and not nearly powerful enough, for
my taste.

>Right now I am just a humble printer support person for Epson... :)

But I'm sure you make a lot more money than I do :)

Dan.

------------------------------

From: "Raul Iglesias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: What're Linus's computer/laptop specs?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:26:01 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
8r0god$sfq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Just wondering what he (or you, if you're reading) is (are) working on
> (working on)... We're having a discussion in class.

   Home machine (workstation with Redhat, Win98, Win2k, Solaris and BE) :
AMD K6-2/350 128MB SDRAM 16GB HD
   Work machine (my workstation, Redhat) : Pentium MMX 166 64MB EDO RAM 4GB
DH
   Work machines (servers with Redhat and Solaris) : All PII or PIII with
128MB SDRAM or more and SCSI hard disks

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:19:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Blacknight) wrote in
<RvTA5.3419$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I'm Sorry but I disagree with you completely I am running Windows 98se
>and have not experienced a lock up in over a year. Believe it, it's
>true. Lock ups are caused by poorly programed applications, not by
>Windows98. The key to a stable operating system is purchasing reliable
>software and keeping to a minimun the number of TSR's, and applications
>running in the background of your machine. If you are constantly
>installing and uninstalling programs/TSR's your OS will become unstable
>eventually weather you are using Windows98, Linux or even MacOS.

After a year of running my Windows 98 SE system is starting to crack around
the edges. Recently, the scan registry program decided there was a problem
and reverted my system to a configuration from several months ago. I'm
still picking up the pieces of that one.

I would not say I am constantly installing/uninstalling programs. As for
TSR's, they went out yonks ago - this is Windows 98, it doesn't need DOS
style TSR's anymore.

As for your assertion that the same will eventually take out Linux or even
MacOS, I couldn't say, but I doubt it. Windows 98 SE was never designed as
a real OS - it doesn't have proper memory protection for applications, only
Windows 2000 does, and does Linux.

My beef about Linux is the lack of decent software for it, and the desktop
seems to be behind Windows.

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 29 Sep 2000 11:15:10 GMT

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:58:05 +1000, Chris Sherlock wrote:
>Like what? Java? Sure, I'll give it a whirl (maybe one day) but I *know*
>that I am not much of a coder...

Java isn't really that much different from C++ ( in fact it feels a lot
like C++ without the "C" -- you don't have any of the C-isms and you
don't need to micro-manage your memory. )

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with java, it's just that
it's not a radical paradigm shift from C++ ( and I don't think
it's supposed to be ).

See FM's post for some interesting suggestions.

Cheers,
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:22:00 -0400

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:55:01 -0400...
> > >
> > > Next time pay attention. The constitution is not the government.
> >
> > OK, in what sense are rights granted by the Constitution?
>
> I hope you accept the fact that contracts can grant or restrict
> certain rights?
>
> If you are not alone on the planet, without a society surrounding you,
> you are born rightless. The only one who can grant you any rights in a
> society is society itself, i.e. the entirety of its active citizens.
> This is usually done by a social contract, the manifestation of which
> is the constitution. The state is the actual implementation of the
> constitution. Unlike most other technical designs, a constitution is
> normally designed not only to control itself, but also to extend
> itself and change itself, because the whole system is supposed to
> always fit the actual society it is strapped to. (A social contract /
> constitution / state is nothing but a crutch -- if human beings were
> different, we would happily live next to each other in a perfect
> anarchy without any need for a higher regulative.)
>
> OK, so the constitution exists, and its regulations allow certain
> things and forbid others. There is no higher authority.
>
> Unfortunately, some loss occurs at every stage of the system. Only one
> example: for practical reasons, most political systems postulate that
> any citizen accepts the social contract at the moment of their birth,
> and that the only way to express rejection of the social contract is
> a) organising an effort to peacefully change it; or b) emigration.
> (I'm leaving suicide out.)

Actually, the wording of the Constitution states the exact opposite;
to clarify, the Constition states that all men are BORN WITH RIGHTS
and that the purpose of government is to UPHOLD those rights.

Government cannot grant rights...it can only grant PRIVILEGES.

The only thing that governments can do with rights is to
a) deny them (totalitarianism) or
b) uphold them.

> mawa
> --
> Recently on #linux...
> <PAULUS> Do I Find something about that in manual of adduser ???
> <Barfie> paulus: That is easy to check, isn't it?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:25:02 -0400

"Joe R." wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > It was the Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:55:01 -0400...

> > > OK, in what sense are rights granted by the Constitution?
> >
> > I hope you accept the fact that contracts can grant or restrict
> > certain rights?
> >
> > If you are not alone on the planet, without a society surrounding you,
> > you are born rightless. The only one who can grant you any rights in a
> > society is society itself, i.e. the entirety of its active citizens.
> > This is usually done by a social contract, the manifestation of which
> > is the constitution. The state is the actual implementation of the
> > constitution. Unlike most other technical designs, a constitution is
> > normally designed not only to control itself, but also to extend
> > itself and change itself, because the whole system is supposed to
> > always fit the actual society it is strapped to. (A social contract /
> > constitution / state is nothing but a crutch -- if human beings were
> > different, we would happily live next to each other in a perfect
> > anarchy without any need for a higher regulative.)
> >
> > OK, so the constitution exists, and its regulations allow certain
> > things and forbid others. There is no higher authority.
>
> Actually, I think he's referring to the fact that the Constitution
> doesn't _grant_ any rights. It merely says that "Congress will make no
> laws restricting right xxxx".
>
> The presumption was that you had the right to do certain things and the
> government couldn't/shouldn't change that.

In fact...the 2nd Amendment is worded in a way which presumes that the
right to keep and bear arms ALREADY existed (preceding the
Constitution).

Same with the 1st Amendment rights of freedom of speech, of the press,
of religion, peacable assembly, etc.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:30:44 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : True.  Yes, the average american household is in debt...but, it's
> : for the purpose of paying of real estate.
>
> Most people in our line of work could afford to pay cash for a house
> if they would live within their means.

What is the typical mortgage rate?
about 10% or so.

What is the typical return on the US stock market?
about 20-30%

Therefore, if you want to purchase property, some would say a good
idea to borrow AS MUCH as possible, so that you can keep as much of
your money "working" in the stock market.

Personally, I don't like that idea.  Risk of foreclosure and loss
of all equity if the economy goes belly-up.

>                                          So could most others in the
> middle class.  When they choose not to, I conclude that they too are
> acting unwisely, and to their own detriment, in their use/abuse of
> debt.
>
> Doesn't hurt me a bit - in fact since I work for a bank, it helps me -
> but with just a bit more frugality and careful planning, most
> middle-class people could easily spend most of their working lives
> benefiting from, instead of being hurt by, compound interest.

True.  And many do.  It's best to rent some place cheap, putting
the difference in the stock market, and then purchase the property
outright....limits exposure to foreclosure.

> : This is different than, say, going into hock to play the horses
> : for another week.
>
> I agree that they are different, but only in degree, not in kind.
>
> Note: for people who genuinely could not afford a home without going
> into debt, and can realistically expect to increase their earning
> potential over time so that the mortgage becomes a dwindling portion
> of their income and expenses, I don't object to their taking out
> mortgages, as long as it is for a home they can genuinely afford, and
> not one that will keep them in debt for the rest of their lives.
>
> But for most people, loans for cars and computers and TVs and other
> depreciating consumer items are just plain stupid.  These should be
> financed via savings, not debt.

Absolutely.  I've been paying cash for everything for years,
and consequently, my life is MUCH less stressful than those
around me.

Credit Card debt is just plain STUPID.

> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Sep 2000 09:29:52 -0300

    FM> Well I don't *code* much at all either. And I was thinking of
    FM> languages like Scheme, ML, Dylan, and even Common Lisp.  Java
    FM> is too restrictive and not nearly powerful enough, for my
    FM> taste.

What exactly do you mean by restrictive? I think Java is a fantastic
language in terms of design. Sure it is formal (you might say it is
_too_ formal) but that encourages good design. As for power, I think
Java is a very powerful language. What do you feel it lacks?

    FM> But I'm sure you make a lot more money than I do :)

Hehe, I bet he makes a lot more than me, too...

regards,
-- Roberto.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Sep 2000 09:32:37 -0300

    Donovan> Java isn't really that much different from C++ ( in fact
    Donovan> it feels a lot like C++ without the "C" -- you don't have
    Donovan> any of the C-isms and you don't need to micro-manage your
    Donovan> memory. )

I have the same impression. Actually, a Java program is very similar
to a good C++ program.

C++ is *much* faster, though.

    Donovan> That's not to say that there's anything wrong with java,
    Donovan> it's just that it's not a radical paradigm shift from C++
    Donovan> ( and I don't think it's supposed to be ).

No, it sure should not.

regards,
-- Roberto.

------------------------------

From: "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:35:39 GMT

Well, it would appear that even your information isn't worth the paper it's
written on...
It just so happens that the only additional software that I have installed
is MS Word 2000 and QuickBooks 6, which I have been using since it came out.
My system constantly crashes. Just yesterday it started giving a Blue screen
error on boot down. I often get an error when closing Word. I guess you are
right about the poorly programmed applications. In my case they are all MS
applications.

George

George

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:RvTA5.3419$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 29 Sep 2000 12:40:39 GMT

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:30:44 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

>What is the typical mortgage rate?
>about 10% or so.
>
>What is the typical return on the US stock market?
>about 20-30%

I believe it's a tad lower than this. Getting a 20-30% return over
10 years is somewhat better than average. ( how many funds have a 10
year return of more than 20% ? )

>Therefore, if you want to purchase property, some would say a good
>idea to borrow AS MUCH as possible, so that you can keep as much of
>your money "working" in the stock market.

Hahaha ... big risk. No thanks (-;  Just say "no" to leveraging.

>True.  And many do.  It's best to rent some place cheap, putting
>the difference in the stock market, and then purchase the property
>outright....limits exposure to foreclosure.

This makes sense to me. It certainly makes it hard to lose a lot
of money, and you don't have to waste your stock market returns
servicing enormous loans.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:47:15 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said James A. Robertson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>
>> >Hmm ?  the base installation runs less than $50.  How much lower do you
>> >suppose it can get and still be profitable?
>>
>> $0.
>
>As if the profit on Microsoft Windows is any of your business whatsoever
>Max.

Of course it is.  The legal conduct of every company in the country is
everyone's business.

>Your lucky that they are even public, otherwise you wouldn't even have
>the right to know their profits.

Yet they'd still have to act lawfully.

>And what's the profit (above break even)
>have to do the price the market will bear?

What the heck do you mean 'about break even'?  Have you got brain
damage?

>For instance - they are well
>within their rights to invest 500+ million developing Windows 2000 and earn
>5 billion on the investment over the next few years. It's business 101. Deal
>with it.

They can do anything they want, so long as it does not fall into that
class of activity known as 'anti-competitive', as all such strategies
and actions are criminal offenses.  Deal with it.

>Ohh.. and your pathetic "finding of fact" judge is going to look even more
>assinine to his superiors when they review his handling and conclusions in
>the case next  year. Especially since part of his findings have already been
>ruled upon by them and ignored by Jackson in the trial.

Can I dare to hope that you'll shut up and go away, then, when your
fantasies are proven entirely wrong?

>It's going to be a fun filled year, topped off with a huge victory for the
>freedom to innovate. :-))

It is truly ironic how you can be so correct and so wrong at the same
time.  :-)

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:49:24 GMT

With all the problems SE has, I would think that if they use their own
system,  the folks at MS experience the very same problems that we do...
Have you ever tried to report something to MS? It's more trouble than it's
worth. Most users aren't technically inclined enough to tell anyone anything
more than "I was running X program and it locked up" or "every time I shut
down, I get a blue screen error."

Anyone that has been using Windows since W95 knows that "The real fact is
that since Explorer was incorporated into Windows, it has become unstable."
W95 rarely crashed, no matter what software you installed or uninstalled.

Someone will disagree because they think they know more, but they can't
change the FACT!

--
George

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8qt17n$jgk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8qsv46$t6i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > 3.  Microsost doesn't seem to fix the problems.  If I build you a house
> > and you move in before it is totally complete (say the landscaping
> > needs completed and the basement ceiling needs installed) I HAVE to
> > complete the job or you can sue me for not fulfilling the contract.
> > However, if WIN98 comes out and there are bugs that cause the system to
> > freeze Microsfot is not required to fix these problems.  Sure they can
> > put out service packs if they want - - but they don't have to "complete
> > the job" so to say.
>
> It's especially difficult for them to fix the problems when they don't
hear
> about them.  I would reckon that most problems with MS products go
> unreported, and the machine simply gets rebooted.  That's not to say that
MS

------------------------------

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:03:29 GMT

Jonathan Revusky wrote:

> "James A. Robertson" wrote:
> >
> > Jonathan Revusky wrote:
> > > In other words, you made no attempt to refute my counter-arguments. As
> > > far as I could tell, by all rules of debate, you were conceding my
> > > points. In other words, it seemed to me that by your response -- or lack
> > > thereof -- that you were in fact conceding that that anonymous libellous
> > > speech was not protected by the Constitution or Bill of Rights.
> > >

> > Your points bored me, and I had better things to do with my time.
>
> This is a transparent lie, James. It is patently obvious that you did
> not respond to my points because you were not capable of doing so.

THis is why I avoided responding - you go to ad homeneim immediately

> If you had really been so bored of the topic, as you are representing,
> you would have simply withdrawn from the debate. Instead, you
> cherry-picked which posts you responded to.

I travel a lot.  I don't have time for everything.  Especially the
boring stuff

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:16:39 -0300

El vie, 29 sep 2000, Chris Sherlock escribió:
>Like what? Java? Sure, I'll give it a whirl (maybe one day) but I *know*
>that I am not much of a coder...

Try python. You can literally start coding in 2 hours.

--
Roberto Alsina