  Re: The return of the Kulkis smackdown ("Drestin Black")

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway?
Date: 4 Oct 2000 11:34:04 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8rd66i$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 >> > PIII-666? How about 667 you
> >>
> >> Clock the chip yourself.  2 third party applications were nice enough
> > tell
> >> me that it was running at 666mhz.  Besides, its much more fun to type
666
> >> instead of 667.  Talking with the guy who sold me the video card (who
used
> >> work in R&D for motorola), it would seem that intel is pulling more of
> > marketing
> >> ploy than anything else.
>
> > http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm - show me the
> > PIII666 on that list?
>
> You have misunderstood what I typed, dresden.  I'm not naming the chip,
> im describing it.  It runs at 666mhz.  It does not run at 667 mhz, and in
> fact it CANNOT run at 667mhz.  The fact that it is called a 667mhz chip by
> intel is obviously a move to disassociate it from spooky evil columbine
> type hacker idiots.

So, when I run a PIII-500 Mhz chip (normally 5x100) at 600 Mhz (5x120) does
that make it a PIII600? Effectively yes, but not technically so. And I would
never call the PIII800 I'm running now a PIII1062 (8x133(approx)) - people
would look at me like I'm looking at you now.

ALTHOUGH I will grant you this, it's was renamed to 667 by Intel marketing
to specifically avoid the 666 association (but not from Columbine).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Unix rules in Redmond
Date: 4 Oct 2000 16:36:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8rd6gr$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> > I'm sorry dude, but sometimes you hear something so silly you can't stop
>> > from laughing...
>>
>> > I'm sure he'll post the tux results ... it's all they've got...
>>
>> Dont you have something better to do?

> Yup - it's what I do the rest of the time... right now I'm laughing at the
> sun rep who tried to sell some 10000s to one of my clients...

Oh I remember you, youre the one that thinks (incorrectly) that microsoft
can compete in the heavy-server market.  We've all been laughing at you
for some time.

And whos the client?  I wont tell anyone, I promise.  :)

=====.

--
"It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
with computers"

---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 11:39:08 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8rd9a4$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8rbsj5$29bm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> No, but DMA is often optional.  You can turn it on, you can turn it
off.

> > Why wouldn't you want to use DMA?
>
> If you had read all of the posts in this thread dresden, you would
understand
> that both chad and I have covered that point in some detail.
>

> >> You can also set its parameters in great detail.  Its really very
handy.

> > DMS parameters ... ALL of them, SO many of them.
> >>

> Depending on the hardware, up to 22 of them.  But you probably didnt know
> that, since you know next to nothing about computers.

or perhaps I a) don't use IDE unless I'm pennyless and b) couldn't care less
about 20 of those and c) use operating systems whos drivers are already
optimized enough that I don't NEED to deal with 20 of them. Lastly, why
don't you talk to us about some of these 22 parameters and tell us just how
they effect us and why we should need to know about them?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 4 Oct 2000 16:39:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Drestin Black wrote:
>> >
>> > what? WHAT? hahahahhahhhahahahahhhahahahaahhahhahhaahhhahahaahhaha
>> > <breath>
>> > hahahahhhahhahahahahahahaaahahahahahaaahahahhahahhaha
>> >

>> No you know whe he's called Dresting LACK of facts...

> "No"?    Perhaps you'd like to learn to spell/type before making shit up eh?

1. you're an idiot, as youve shown repeatedly for a long, long time.
2. you dont know anything about computers
3. you lie *constantly* (see your little stories about copyrighted code for details)
4. the names you drop consistently have never heard of you
5. you believe that windows can compete with ANYTHING (this really shines a very
   powerful light on your complete ignorance)
6. you consistently are unable to back up your claims with either FACTS or at the
   very least some appropriate-techno-babble.  You arent even very good at
   PRETENDING that you know what youre talking about.
7. you're an idiot.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why should anyone prefer Linux to Win2k on the DeskTop
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:58:35 -0500

"David M. Butler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I beg to differ.  Personal web server is based on IIS 5.0 under Windows
> > 2000, and it SMOKES apache in almost every way.
>
> Which is obviously why Apache is used so much more widely, right?

And what makes you think that apache is used more widely?  I don't think
there are any statistics to back this up, unless of course you mean "More
domain names are hosted on apache servers", but that doesn't mean it's used
in more physical servers.  It may be, but I don't see any evidence to
support that other than wishful thinking.

Netcrafts numbers simply do not paint the full picture.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:59:19 -0500

"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I bought Solaris 7 both x86 and sparc versions about a year or so ago
> for $10 plus shipping. Looks like now they are only selling Solaris 8
> for $75. But you can install it on as many machines as you
> like. That's certainly cheaper than W2K.

Not a commercial license.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 11:42:05 -0500

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> How _do_ you turn off DMA on an IDE disk in NT?  Probably a registry
> key that's documented someplace in the bowels of MSDN.  Where granma
> won't ever find it.

DMA is off by default for IDE devices with NT 3 and 4. You need to run a
utility called DMACHECK to turn on it's DMA testing and enabling function.

With Windows 2000, DMA function is checked during setup and activiated if it
works right. You can turn it on and off as you would with Win9x/ME through
the device manager.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 11:44:04 -0500

"Michael Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > I dont really see why youd WANT to turn it off in a workstation
environment,
> > but the option is there...
>
> I think he was referring to the drivers question... and no Chad, they're
rock
> solid.  I've even been using the ata-100 patches for two different
controllers
> in two different machines both doing mirroring on IBM Deskstar drives...
> they're rock solid and lightning fast.

Is this like the nvidia thread? If I can find a problem anyone/anywhere had
with this combination ... see where I'm heading?

I guess we both should add "YMMV" to these sorts of comments eh? (in the NV
thread I meant to represent the majority who've had no problems, versus the
higher level of dissatisfaction with drivers from other chipsets).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 16:46:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8rd9a4$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:8rbsj5$29bm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> off.
>>
>> > Why wouldn't you want to use DMA?
>>
>> If you had read all of the posts in this thread dresden, you would
> understand
>> that both chad and I have covered that point in some detail.

> handy.
>>
>> > DMS parameters ... ALL of them, SO many of them.
>> >>

>> Depending on the hardware, up to 22 of them.  But you probably didnt know
>> that, since you know next to nothing about computers.

> or perhaps I a) don't use IDE unless I'm pennyless and b) couldn't care less
> about 20 of those and c) use operating systems whos drivers are already
> optimized enough that I don't NEED to deal with 20 of them. Lastly, why
> don't you talk to us about some of these 22 parameters and tell us just how
> they effect us and why we should need to know about them?

Man hdparm.  Look it up dresden, if youre at all capable.

Dont try to rope me into one of your 'you dont know what youre talking about'
circles, friend.  Your argument style is childish and sophomoric and very
obviously self-serving to anyone with a single firing synapse.

You really, really are a moron.  Is your wife as stupid as you are?  I really
cant stand smart girls who go for stupid men.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.lang.c,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:04:50 -0500

"2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8recrj$kmf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >That's a laugh.  Ever seen some of the source to the original MacOS?  It
> was
> >all written in Pascal.  What good would that do MS, who write everything
in
> >Assembler at the time.  Besides, Windows 1.0 was absolutely nothing like
> >MacOS.  If they had used the MacOS source, it would have been much much
> >better.
>
> Don't you mean IBM's OS2? You're going to get those folks mad.

What do you mean?  OS/2 came out years after MacOS did, and didn't even have
a GUI for years after Windows 1.0.  Besides, it was MS and IBM, not IBM's
OS/2.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:06:05 -0500

"Timo Saarinen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7ZAC5.59$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:n0yC5.4035$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Except that .NET isn't limited to one language.  In fact, the Java
> language
> > could be implemented on .net itself.  the CLR allows applications
> written in
> > C++, VB, C#, and probably FoxPro as well.  Other languages could be
> adapted
> > to it as well.
>
> Are you sure C++ will be implemented for the .NET which uses
> intermediate language? I think C++ is not very suitable for
> interpretation... To adapt other language to .NET platform Microsoft
> have to use brute force. For example, languages using multiple
> inheritance must be converted to single inheritance.

Yes, C++ can target .NET.  This is the "Managed C++" portion of it, and yes
there are many limitations on what you can and cannot do in managed C++.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 16:48:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Michael Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > I dont really see why youd WANT to turn it off in a workstation
> environment,
>> > but the option is there...
>>
>> I think he was referring to the drivers question... and no Chad, they're
> rock
>> solid.  I've even been using the ata-100 patches for two different
> controllers
>> in two different machines both doing mirroring on IBM Deskstar drives...
>> they're rock solid and lightning fast.
>>

> Is this like the nvidia thread? If I can find a problem anyone/anywhere had
> with this combination ... see where I'm heading?

Yes, youre heading into the same argument as you used in the nvidia thread, which
is this:

*I* havent ever seen it happen, therefore it doesnt ever happen.

> I guess we both should add "YMMV" to these sorts of comments eh? (in the NV
> thread I meant to represent the majority who've had no problems, versus the
> higher level of dissatisfaction with drivers from other chipsets).

And now youre changing your story.  You're a two faced, backhanded little bitch,
arent you dresden.  :)

Wheredja learn it?

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 11:50:09 -0500

"Darren Winsper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 2 Oct 2000 21:57:13 -0500, Drestin Black
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Amazing how the rest of the world finds NVIDIA to be the single best
chipset
> > and drivers combination of every video card out there...
>
> Bullshit.  Take a look at http://www.hardforum.com for starters.  I would
> mention 3dfxgamers.com but it's full of either Nvidiots or 3dfx zealots
for
> the most part and I'd take anything said there with a truck-load of salt.

I have. So? When you have a forum for people to post their problems - did
you expect to find success stories? Of course not, you'll only find those
with problems. Just like in support newsgroups. If you visit that sort of
place you would probably come away thinking that NOTHING works whatsoever
because you can find problems with everything.

> > I never cease to be
> > amazed that only linux users manage to have trouble running windows and
> > using the most stable drivers in existance... sheesh...
>
> That's bullshit too.  It seems whatever web site I go to, NVidia have a
> reputation for buggy drivers.  I'm surprisd you don't consider the Voodoo5
> drivers, since they are WHQL certified and if they're not even as stable
as
> the NVidia drivers as you claim, then WHQL is worth jack shit.

3dfx drivers? less than buggy? Hmm... I'll just leave that alone as I don't
pretend to be an expert on those. The WHQL actually matters to me, though. I
find when I need a solid place to return to if I've got problems with a more
advanced release, the WHQL is the place to go. BTW, there are WHQL drivers
for the NVIDIA chipsets too.

however, perhaps you need to expand your list of websites; nvnews,
anandtech, tomshardware, firingsquad, 3dgpu, rivastation, bjorn3d, and the
list goes on and on all would disagree with you. Short of 3dfx fan sites,
can you point me to a major hardware site that documents this "repuation"
for buggy nvidia drivers? I'd love to see an opposing point of view on this.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:12:43 -0500

My understanding is that Sun's version of NFS does not follow that RFC (it's
a highly modified and extended version).  If that's not true, I appologize.

"Frédéric G. MARAND" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8rfb7b$eiu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Since March 1989 (RFC 1094), it's as good a de facto standard as any
other.
> CIFS is not.
>
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
> n0yC5.4035$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Standards based?  Since when is Java a standard?  Since when is sun's
NFS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 4 Oct 2000 16:55:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> however, perhaps you need to expand your list of websites; nvnews,
> anandtech, tomshardware, firingsquad, 3dgpu, rivastation, bjorn3d, and the
> list goes on and on all would disagree with you. Short of 3dfx fan sites,
> can you point me to a major hardware site that documents this "repuation"
> for buggy nvidia drivers? I'd love to see an opposing point of view on this.

This whole role-reversal thing is actually pretty cool, but im getting
a little bit creeped out by the whole thing.  If you would be so kind,
dresden, as to change your story once again back to what it was yesterday,
ill agree to do the same.  :)

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The return of the Kulkis smackdown
Date: 4 Oct 2000 11:56:03 -0500

> Drestin Black wrote:
> > I love the way abracadabra pretends he knows what any of those things
means
> > (one of 500 made, you believed that story?) PIII-666? How about 667 you
>
> 666.66666666666666666..... to be precise, idiot.
>

> > yutz, no such thing as a PIII666  check Intels site if you are about to
> > further embaress yourself. "voltage on BOTH processors?" Oh really? So,
you

> Get a grip.

Take your grip off your joystick and talk to us, mr kulkis factualman - tell
us oh intel guru you: just how is it that you come up with this
666.66666666666666666 (to be precise) figure. I mean, exactly. What
multiplied or divided by what gives this value? Exactly what frequency was
multiplied by 5 (because THAT is *exactly* precisely what the mutiplier is,
not 4.999999999 nor 5.0000000001).

Hint just for you, don't say: 133.33333 cause that beast don't exist. So...
lets see how many facts you got Aaron.