From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:15:42 -0400

> > >Proven by Fortune 500 companies every day.
> >
> >         IOW, you have no clue what you're talking about.
>
> Please.  Try to prove that my assertation is incorrect.

You're wasting your breath. 3cpio-fishnet never backs up anything with a
single fact. He's been doing it in here for years. He obviously ascribes to
the basic Hitler tenant that the bigger the lie the more likely it is to be
believed. As does > 50% of linux advocacy.

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blatant anti-MS trolling...
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:19:29 -0400

Dump freaking hotmail already. It's the aol of free mail. Don't you get it?
But hey, you think hotmail is bad, try www.linuxmail.com
you'll be up and running just fine and then at least once a week you'll be
unable to get on for hours at a time. EVERY WEEK.

Wonder what server they're running???

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.society.anarchy,talk.politics.misc,alt.christnet
Subject: Re: Open lettor to CommyLinux Commy's, and all other commy's to.
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:24:38 -0400

First off.
How many open letters to the Linux community do we need? Seems like there's
a lot of this going on.What seems to be the problem?

Second.
So, you're going to send us all an invitation to read your letter. Clue....

LEARN HOW TO SPELL LETTER. It doesn't do much for your party when you can't
spell the title of the invitation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Unix rules in Redmond
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:34:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro=
te:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8s01hj$1c61$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:00 +0200, =3D?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=
=3DA9?=3D

>> your
>> any
>>>
>>> Show us the single Compaq that can manage 160K TPM.
>>>
>>> [deletia]

>> Your point? I didn't even look to see if there were but... so? Would yo=
>> prefer putting all your eggs in one basket or, as most do, enjoy the
> safety
>> of clusters?

> Oh I see.  It doesnt MATTER that ibm kicks compaq's ass in this arena,
> because no one would want to buy ibm machines in the first place because
> they all fit in one basket.

> Or something.

> I'm not entirely sure that even dresden understands what his last point =
was.

> (and btw, he would have known that 160K TPMs can be sourced in clustered
> environments if he knew anything at all about ibm's product line; this i=
> proof positive that hes been lying; he indeed does not)

> lost... you are completely lost... now you've come full circle back to
> clusters environments in IBM's lines... hehehe this is amusing...

Dresden, the reason I didnt use the word "cluster" to describe these IBM
computing environments is because it means something *completely* differen=
in compaq/W2K computing environments.  That is, IBM clusters can function=20
as one enormous machine; sharing one process across several nodes (dynamic=
,
you can change the number of nodes as its running a'la solaris "domains"),
you can allocate ram to a running process from any number of nodes (again,
dynamically, on the fly), etc. etc. etc.

On the other hand, W2K "clusters" are more for "redundancy" than anything
else.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:35:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8s01oc$1c61$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > So, again: who cares?
>>
>> Apparantly you only care about performance up to and including the very
> top
>> of compaq's product line.

> No - I just don't care for the comparison. I don't see the value anymore of
> a large, expensive, monolithic uni-server solution any more in todays
> models.

>> > Do we say: "Ah, Google with Linux is so pathetic, they
>> > have to use clusters! ahahhaha." then add: "Show me the single linux box
>> > that can run Google"?
>>
>> An IBM S/390 64x64.  Theyve even got cool light up blue stripes down the
> side.

> Again... if the choice is SOOoooOooOoo obvious - Google must be pathetic
> idiots not to take the simple route then eh? I'm sure it's not easier to
> manage thousands of linux boxes intead of one pretty shiny IBM?

Its alot harder actually, but they had already bought into that architecture
in an extreme way; there would have been an enormous non-hardware related
cost to switch.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:36:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro=
te:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8s0249$1c61$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> the

>>> Just partition your data.
>>>

>> Gee - I wonder why IBM or Sun didn't do that when they lost? I guess yo=
> are
>> smarter than all of IBM and Sun - silly then not thinking to partition
> their
>> data so they could effortless beat MS/Compaq... IBM had to drop AIX and
> run
>> W2K

> Ummm...

> Its an intel platform, dresden.  :)

> Ummm.... no duh! think... you'll get it... (maybe, ask someone while
> delivering coffee if you still don't)

You arent attributing correctly, dresden.  Let me know if you need some
help with your outlook express settings.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:37:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8s01jh$1c61$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> > fully

>> > processor

>> > I don't consider that more sophisticated, I think it's stupid. If it
> WERE
>> > such a thing that was "below" IBM - they wouldn't have entered at all
>> > (instead of several 100 times) and certainly wouldn't have spent
> $millions
>> > to achieve 1st place (now second).

>> > I think that is very unlikely. If someone can spend a low 8 figures and
>> > smoke the pants off someone in the higher 8 figures - there is a
> difference.

>> > Perhaps they should be worried if bottom lines mean anything to anyone
> at
>> > IBM sales..
>>
>> Perhaps they know that they are the only competitors in the market in
> which
>> the machines in question exist.
>>
>> Idiot.

> oh yeah, THAT makes sense. "We are SO good that we don't even have to prove
> it." I'm sure that's the kind of smart marketing that assumes that everyone
> else is "smart" enough to ignore published results and just *magically* ...
> know... that an IBM solution is faster/better than anything else because..
> well... just because.

I'm sorry dresden, is there a direct competitor with the ASCII series?

Please let me know who they are.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:40:04 GMT

AFAIK all of the distro's I have used have choices other than
"everything", my point is that newbies like to try as much as possible
and will go for the everything option and will be wide open exposed. I
believe the SuSE book does mention all of this in a pretty good
chapter on security. It should be moved to the front of the book
instead of in the back IMHO though.

You are right when you say any network is vulnerable to attack. We can
only stay one step behind the yo-yo's doing the attacking. Cable
modems and on all the time internet connections in the hands of
average folks at home are providing a breeding ground for these low
life's to practice their tricks.
claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:39:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Drestin Black wrote:
>>
>> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> IBM's
>> > 4096
>> > W2K

>> > transactions,
>> > these
> transactional

> fully

> processor
>> > >

>> > Perhaps it could. But has it yet? Does IBM have a 4096 processor machine
> up
>> > and running and able to actually perform a benchmark so we can compare
> it to
>> > something useful? I mean, if IBM has this killer rig out there - why
> don't
>> > they fire up a TPC score and completely utterly blow both MS and compaq
> (and
>> > sun) so far outta the water that we'll all just cringe at the mere
> mention
>> > of it's name (which you've never stated, by the way).
>> >

>> ASCI White.  Developed and built in the building next to where I work.
>>
>> http://www.llnl.gov/asci/platforms/white/
>>
>> It was delivered a couple of months ago.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> That is VERY cool Gary - even the picture is sweet!! :)

>  (there is a picture of the Compaq cluster than set the new TPC-C record in
> e-week this week but it pales in comparison).

> And I see it's 8192, not 4096 processors....

I wasnt talking about an ASCII series machine, dresden.  IBM makes a couple of
very high end hunks of hardware.

> I never doubted there is
> hardware better/faster/bigger than this compaq cluster - but not as
> abracadabra was presenting it and certainly not tested in this fashion. I'll
> look forward to more from IBM...

You'll never see it.  The ASCII series has been around for a number of years;
AFAIK the S/* series alot longer.  They have never been put to any of your
tests.  They dont need to be; the sorts of people that buy them arent interested.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:46:01 GMT

I'm an old CDE person so I know all about title bars :)

CDE (under aix) never had a Winamp clone.
A dial-up networking clone like Gnome/kde does.
And so forth.

It's more than the look and feel, it's the cloning of the
applications.

Linux movement is trying to go one on one with Windows to woo away
Windows users by providing them with a look, feel and applications
that make them feel comfortable.

Of course there is another Linux movement that seems to be saying
don't dumb done Linux, but keep it and it's target market the same.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It....
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:47:01 GMT

Thank you.

claire

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:52:28 GMT

Roberto Alsina wrote:
> And pretty much a guess based on very little hard evidence. However, let's
> assume they didn't. So what? Would that be enough to stop interbreeding? Why,
> because they can't ask a chick to go on a date?

Considering you seemed to imply that we should be able to interbreed
with monkeys since we're genetically so close to them ....

> I am not completely familiar with the political platforms of all main US
> parties. And does "main" include the green party and the reform party? I simply
> have no idea on THEIR platforms. So, I was guessing, and I qualify it as a
> probably right guess.

I already excluded everyone but the Republicans and Democrats. And it's
not like the RepDem party's "platform" is at all relevant. What's wrong
with going by the historical record?

> Ok, I pretty much agree with the platform of the Frente Grande, although I tend
> to follow more Ibarra's than Chacho Álvarez' positions. Hope that enlightens
> you. On the other hand, I have much sympathy towards the septiembrista
> movement.

I have passing familiarity with the main British, Canadian, French, German,
Indian, Italian, Mexican, Russian, South African and US political parties.
Perhaps you could pick one of those for comparison?

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: David J. Tholen [Off-Topic Idiot Tres Grande]
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:55:22 -0400

Tholen tholes:

> Jeff Glatt writes [about David T. Johnson]:
>
> > He has revealed an ignorance of, and numerous violations of, the
> > newsgroup charter as well.
>
> How incredibly ironic, coming from someone who has violated the newsgroup
> charter numerous times.

What, did you get some "advice" from your mythical and completely
ineffective "lawyer" buddy, Tholen?  The charter of a newsgroup does not
have the force of law.  If you think otherwise, prove it.

Of course, this is incredibly ironic, coming from someone who has violated
the newsgroup
charter numerous times.

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:59:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> I'm looking at what you wrote, Marty.
>
> > Of what relevance is this self-evident remark?
>
> It shows that you brought up "off-topic posting", Marty,

Irrelevant, as doing so was an act of staying on topic.

> despite the fact that I was suggesting that you practice what you
> preach.

You made no such suggestion, Dave.

> Context, Marty.

Like the thread topic, for example?