Linux-Advocacy Digest #678, Volume #29           Sun, 15 Oct 00 20:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (2:1)
  Re: Convince me to run Linux? (2:1)
  Re: Microsoft kicked off the Web! (Gregory L. Hansen)
  Re: Convince me to run Linux? (2:1)
  Re: Ms employees begging for food (sfcybear)
  Why the Linonuts fear me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Astroturfing ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Convince me to run Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Suggestions for Linux ("mmnnoo")
  Re: Anybody want to test a widget? (2:1)
  Re: Suggestions for Linux (2:1)
  Re: Why the Linonuts fear me ("Mike")
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (jazz)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (jazz)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (.)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (.)
  Re: Convince me to run Linux? (2:1)
  Re: Convince me to run Linux? (2:1)
  Re: Claire Lynn (.)
  Re: Convince me to run Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Peter da Silva)
  Re: Linux Sucks (.)
  Re: Why the Linonuts fear me (jazz)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (jazz)

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:06:19 +0100

jazz wrote:

> I really need a powerful word processor with templates, styles, etc.
>
> What is available for Linux? How about for Powerpoint and Excel?
>
> Thanks ---
> Jazz

Staroffice.

www.sun.com

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Convince me to run Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:09:52 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> SOFTWARE"
> > >
> > > yeah?...really good...eeehh now, the problem is that no "end-user" wants
> any
> > > of these, unless youre a geek of course....
> > Or an electrical engineer (in the case of spice)
> >
> > Or a scientist doing a remotely computer based science (physice,
> > computer science, chemistry, engineering, biology) all can have
> > simulation programs written for them.
> >
> > Oh, yes. I forgot, you must be a geek since you use a nwsreader (see
> > what exactly you said geek to).
>
> hmm...shure, i think you now what i talked about...
> compilers (gcc,fortran, lisp, blaha blaha) editors (vi, pico, emacs) servers
> (wu-ftp, apache, sendmail) are things a examples of what a "end-user" WONT
> need to have installed AND doesnt have any use for....

You suggested newsreaders too, since they were on thet list. Either
you're a fool, or no-one on USENET is an end user. Hmmm. I think they're
end users

Besides, I'm an end user and I want a compiler.
I'm an end user and I want a decent editor (vim)
I'm an end user and I want apache.

Have you got the message yet? Or it an end user to you someone wuo
doesn't use the computer.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory L. Hansen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft kicked off the Web!
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:17:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
>> I must say - that is some seriously deranged material. but, #1) Unless
>your
>> transexual, who's Kim and why does she get author credit? #2) Is Star
>Office
>> really that horrible at HTML rendering? Oh my god, it looks terrible! From
>> improperly formed lines, to missing tags, to light color on almost the
>same
>> light background to all those unnecessary blank paragraph tags at the
>end -
>> that is a horrible site (sight?)
>
>I have to agree, the site is definitely NOT something I would link to if I
>had anything to do with it's creation! Hopefully the person isn't using the
>design as an example when marketing their talent.

I set my background color to black when I read it.  It seemed the only
way.  But that's a pretty athletic penguin, there.  I can't do a
hand-stand pushup into a flip.

>Nothing like forcing a right scroll at lower resolutions for that third (60
>point?) "Linux!" Is it even legal to display a 60pt character online? If not

Possibly the most annoying web experience I've had was having to scroll
left and right, left and right, because some yo-yo used a table with a
single, fixed-width cell for plain, stupid, default text.  That had to
have been done by a GUI html program, no human could be that dumb.

I couldn't seem to get the source for that Linux page, just a lot of font
instructions.
--
"A good plan executed right now is far better than a perfect plan
executed next week."

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:12:00 +0100

> The Windows machine looks like a better deal. You get a free decent
> printer (I have a Lexmark Z42 and it is fantastic), MSOffice, Internet
> access a bigger drive, Home networking kit, much better sound system
> etc.

You said to me in an earlier post that Office was very bad, yet here you
list it as a plus point.

-Ed

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:09:57 GMT

You would.

In article <39ea184b$0$14033$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After reading this:
>
> http://www.nwlink.com/~rodvan/microsoft/stripper.html
>
> I have decided I really DO want to work there!
>
> Thanks for the great lead!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Why the Linonuts fear me
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:27:46 GMT

Why do my posts generate so much hate and semi-intelligent insults
from the Linux world?

Because you fear me that's why.

Unlike the typical WinTroll, I actually use current versions of the
software I am exposing. I have used every single distribution up to
and including Mandrake 7.1 and with the exception of Slackware they
all suck in one way or another.
Sorry but it is true.

Why doesn't Slackware suck? Because it is not trying to be a half
assed clone of Windows that's why. It is Linux, does not try to claim
otherwise and stands on it's own for better or worse.
I respect that. Slackware is Linux at it's best, like it or not, it is
an honest attempt at the Linux philosophy  and I like that.

You yo-yo's are so caught up in your own pile of bullshit that you
have not a clue as to what the rest of the world wants, needs or is
asking for.

You think desktop users want Linux?

Think again. You can't even give it away.

You think we want (taking Terry Porters list) Compilers, editors,
schematic diagram thingies, flowchart programs? Think again.

Again you are a collective bunch of idiots with blinders on.

Linux is free. Yet you can't even give it away.
Linux has had a LOT of positive press in the last year.

Why is it not taking over the desktop?

Seems to me, we Windows users invest a lot of money in software and a
free system would be a plus for us?

So what's the deal?

The deal is Linux sucks at 99 percent of what the average person wants
or needs a computer to do.

You have half assed Windows clones that neither perfom as well nor
have the features of the equivilant Windows programs. In some cases
you don't have any equivilant at all (a decent browser).

You fear me, because I have the facts, have used Linux and have come
to the same conclusion that legions of others have come to. Linux is
nice, but Windows is better. I just choose to expose this Linux scam
for what it is. A scam.

So, unlike Terry Porter who got pissed off back in 1997 at Windows, I
will continue to try current versions of Linux and Windows and maybe,
just maybe, someday I will switch to Linux.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:28:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Perry Pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <39e7dc20$0$42761$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> > > What's wrong with Windows 2000?
:> >
:> > Stabilty.
:>
:> There are no issues of stability with W2K. None. W2k is every bit as
: stable
:> as any other OS.

: ROFLOL!! In your wet dreams.

W2K is indeed more stable than any other *Microsoft* OS.

To say that it is as stable than "any other OS" is ridiculous, because
W2K hasn't been around long enough to have uptimes or reliability
statistics on a par with those of other low-end operating systems
*even* if it is capable of such uptimes or stats.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:30:27 GMT

You must be a moron.

Usually only takes one post..

Cheers!

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:34:06 GMT

"I" don't like Office, but I am in the minority here. I use Lotus
Wordpro, but in corporate America you would be hard pressed to find
anybody not running Office.

Personal opinion..

The Windows PC is the better deal, even if you dump office.
You get a printer, Internet access and many other things you DON"T get
with the Linux version.
claire

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Linux
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:37:15 GMT

The system you describe is just about the most unproductive and irritating
I can imagine, like every microsoft-Bob nightmare rolled into one.

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anybody want to test a widget?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:34:38 +0100

>   2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> My goodness.
>
> Can you get at the gnumeric source? They probably have to do all sort of
> equation parsing when they calculate cell values...

I could (If I downloaded them), but I don't think they haveare RPN
parsers. An PRN parser is very efficient, but I don't think it's too
difficult to to a normal to RPN conversion. It's a recursive thingy.

-Ed

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:39:49 +0100

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:57:40 +0100
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> According to Yahoo (and "SHELL EXTENSION CITY"), the DOOM System
> >> Administration Tool is at
> >>      http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/
> >> which timed out when I tried to fetch it.  I know of no mirrors.
> >
> >I got 200k/s out of that site :-) If you want a copy email me, and I
> >could email it to you.
>
> Might have been a temporary glitch; it's working fine now.

I've just turned it in to a useful tool --- it can't kill itself.

install the sources.

open pr_process.c
change line 733 so it says "kill -s SIGINT %d" as opposed to "kill -9
%d"
open i_main.c
put in these lines before D_DoomMain() :

    static struct sigaction act;

    act.sa_handler = SIG_IGN;
    sigfillset(&(act.sa_mask));
    sigaction(SIGINT, &act, NULL);

Now that it can't kill itself, it is much more useful.

HTH

-Ed

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why the Linonuts fear me
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:02:18 -0500

Big snip<>

You really are a silly person. I'd wager that 99% of the people reading
this newsgroup have more experience with Dos/Windows than you. It really
is kind of dumb for you to blather on about how great "Windows" is to
them.

They have also learned to use Unix/Linux and find that it
meets their needs better than the afore mentioned operating system.

You however, cannot make an intelligent assessment of what the pros and
cons of each are because you know nothing of Unix/Linux.

I wonder where you got the idea that Linux is for everyone. It isn't. If
you cannot or will not read, Linux is most definately not for you.

If you can read and don't mind doing so, you might find even with its
shortcomings, Linux is far preferable to Dos/Windows.

Windows has its place and has enabled the lowest comon denominator in our
society to run powerful applications run on sophisticated computers.  Does
that mean it is a superior operating system? No.

Learn to use Linux and use it exclusively for a year or two.

Then your judgements, opinions, and comparisons between Windows and Linux
will have more weight.

Until then you go into the killfile with the rest of the kooks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jazz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:44:43 -0400

> There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the Linux world that will 100 percent
> emulate MSOffice. Nothing at all.
>
> THe Linux toys are a joke. Try them for yourself and see how well your
> presentations translate.
>
> When the rest of the world is running Office, why should you run some
> half assed wannabe?
>
> Is your job worth it?
>

> claire
>

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:23:44 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (jazz) wrote:
>
> >I really need a powerful word processor with templates, styles, etc.
> >
> >What is available for Linux? How about for Powerpoint and Excel?
> >
> >Thanks ---
> >Jazz

Well, since my job is to do research on how the brain works, I don't think
I'm going to get fired over my choice of word processors. Unless I decide
to fire myself.

Why leave Office?

Because I want to run Unix/Linux to develop OpenGL applications to display
functioning brains, will never touch Windows, and the expense of keeping a
reasonably current mac around just to do my word processing seems a bit of
a waste of your tax dollars?

Thanks for the info, that's as I expected.

All I ask for is the ability to import Star Office files into Word. Possible?

Thanks
Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jazz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:48:41 -0400

In article <qEqG5.3541$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jan
Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, then you probably want to take a look at
> -abiword
> -StarOffice (BLOATware)
> -ApplixWare (payware)
>
> Or you can just distribute your documents as pdf's...
>

> Cheers,
> -Jan

Please tell me more. For example, I just wrote a paper with someone in LA.
I'm in New Jersey. I wrote a draft, emailed it to them, they revised it,
resent it to me, I revised and made additions, sent it back, he revised,
and I sent some additional parts, he put it all together, and sent it out
to all the other authors, as a word attachment they all can read and make
changes to.

So these would have to import/export files in word-readible format.

Can they do that? I doubt Bill would put up with that, and would instruct
his minions to make a couple of tweaks in Word for insurance.

Thanks
Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:52:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Tell that to your boss when you hand in your report and it looks like
> crap, all because you used Linux and he, along with the rest of the
> world, is using Word.

Actually, I submit many things written on staroffice for solaris, and
my boss always says the same thing:

"Thanks"

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:53:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You have to be kidding?

> Latex?

> barrrrrrrrrrrrrrffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

True, it does require half a brain to use.

=====.

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:45:59 +0100

> "I" don't like Office, but I am in the minority here. I use Lotus
> Wordpro, but in corporate America you would be hard pressed to find
> anybody not running Office.

I don't like office either. I use TeX/LaTeX, it seems to be quite
popular (reccomended, even) in the faculty of the physical sciences
here. I've just downloaded LyX to play with and it looks very nice, but
I think now I'm too ingraned with vi.

> Personal opinion..
>
> The Windows PC is the better deal, even if you dump office.
> You get a printer, Internet access and many other things you DON"T get
> with the Linux version.
> claire

I seem to be getting internet access OK... in fact better than most of
the windows users who have had a lot of problems setting it up. I've had
no problems setting up printers either. I tend to buy HP printers though
(PCL printers set up easily under Linux). My sister recently got a Mac,
because I still think Linux isn't quite ready for some things yet
(though I didn't feel like inflicting Windows on her).

IMO Linux is the best deal: stick in a CD and half an hour later you
have almost everything you could want. The rest is easily downloaded for
free.

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:47:19 +0100

I've just discouvered why Linux really is the best deal:

It is the only OS that lets you use DOOM to kill processes.

Can it get much better :-)

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Claire Lynn
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:56:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I also don't live in a country that is falling apart.

You're still an idiot though.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:57:34 GMT

I can relate as my daughter just got an iMac. Amazing machine IMHO.

claire

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:59:57 GMT

In article <AyxE5.125383$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike Byrns  <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com> wrote:
> Windows works for business almost all of the time.  Start talking 9s on
> the desktop and you'll find that it's the best desktop OS out there.

Windows NT 4.0 is a much better business desktop OS than Windows 9x. Windows
loses right from the start in not having *any* client security. As much as I
complain about supporting Windows NT desktops, every Windows 9x desktop that
I've replaced with Windows NT has won me back another couple of hours a month
in free time to work on real problems.

Right now I think we're only running 9x on some of the older laptops.

Windows NT is not yet stable and well enough documented for critical server
use, but it *has* reached the point where I kind of like it on the desktop.

Windows NT 5.0 (Windows 2000) I'm still ambivalent about.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "Milloin halasit viimeksi suttasi?"

         Disclaimer: WWFD?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: 16 Oct 2000 00:02:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have never said anything against the stability of Linux. Only times
> it crashed on me was running Agent under Wine,

And right here is where we see the exact amount of value of "claire"'s
opinions about linux.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jazz)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:51:53 -0400

snip

You know, the kind of relationships people have on usenet are generally
the same kind they have in real life.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jazz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:50:23 -0400

> Tell that to your boss when you hand in your report and it looks like
> crap, all because you used Linux and he, along with the rest of the
> world, is using Word.
>
> Maybe Linus will give you a job at Transmeta.
>
> claire

Are you this offensive in real life too?