Linux-Advocacy Digest #687, Volume #29           Mon, 16 Oct 00 10:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Linux Sucks (Jacques Guy)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Suggestions for Linux (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? ("MH")
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? ("MH")
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Donal K.
Fellows)
  Re: Astroturfing ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Donal K.
Fellows)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("JS/PL")
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("D'Arcy Smith")
  Re: Linux Sucks (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Advocacy NGs == Trollvilles (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Astroturfing (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Claire Lynn (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Why the Linonuts fear me (Matthias Warkus)

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:10:32 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux

Looking at an old Linux Journal magazine, I see the following review of
Linux CAD - http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue30/wuest.html

None too good!

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:20:16 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hey, I read you're page. A compelling argument.

Just to piss Linux CAD off, I'm going to post one of their competitors
products: FreeCAD

    http://freeengineer.org/Freedraft/index.html

And, to be even more fair - Q-CAD

    http://www.qcad.org/index.php3

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:57:17 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Agent is probobly the number one newsreader on the net.
               ^

Tim, is that you channelling... so ree, oule spawrt,  eye
ment "iz thatt ewe chanuling". Cum bakq, Tymb, wee  awl
myzs yew hear!

(I hope that when Claire sucks she takes her dentures
out -- which of Tom, Dick and Harry would... probobbobly
not Dick. Alas, Linux being a penguin, it's got not
teeth, only a hard beak. So when its sucks... enough,
this is a family newsgroup, we have enough Net Ninnies
already).

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:58:44 GMT

"Carl Fink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:11:06 -0400 jazz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >Erp...I checked it out and am sorry I didn't make clear I'm currently a
> >Mac/Unix guy thinking about dumping my Mac for Linux (the Unix is our
> >supercomputer, which I am not allowed to take home).
>
> Well, if you run Linux on your Mac, you could use Mac-on-Linux to run
> MacOS inside Linux natively, and run any Mac software you need
> side-by-side with Linux stuff.
>
> See <http://www.ibrium.se/linux/mac_on_linux.html>.

Or, you can use Executor on an x86 box: http://www.ardi.com/.

Apparently it is much easier to emulate MacOS than Windows because
programs are actually written to match the documentation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Linux
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:27:47 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:35:16 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey Matt, have you FINALLY gotten the help files for kde written yet?

I don't work for KDE. Maybe you're confusing me with somebody, there's
quite a couple Matthiases working for that project.

If you need them so badly, why don't you write those help files
yourself? This is free software after all.

> >>    a) A restaurant. F'rinstance, you boot linux, and you see a first
> >>      person view of yourself walking into a restaurant. You sit at a
> >> table,
> >>      and tux the penguin walks over and hands you a menu. The menu has
> >>      linux programs grouped on pages with clickaable tabs. You click a
> >> tab for
> >>      say, graphics, and a page turns to all the graphics programs . You
> >> click
> >>      on a menu selection to start up the corresponding function.
> >
> >Reminds me of crappy things such as the Packard Bell Navigator.
>
> Or Linuxconf.

So Linuxconf has a 3D environment with people walking around in
restaurants and animated waterfowl handing out menus?

For some reason I just don't think so.

mawa
--
"Die Deutschen", meint Brian P. Clarkson, Student am MIT und dort mit
/Computern als Kleidung/ beschäftigt, beinahe empört, "fragen auch

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:03:58 -0400

No.You're SOL. Word's revision feature is one of the reasons writers use it,
and indeed, comes in very handy for what you allude to. It's a dream for
multiple-writer collaboration.

Latexlahex is a keystroke users dream, but it is not a modern gui, point &
click fancy word processor. Do what most do. Use Word under Windows as it
meant to be and just do your work.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:08:17 -0400

This IS the problem folks! People are used to MS suite products. The GREAT,
read GREAT majority of people who actually DO work with computer software
use Office.
There are some suites that offer emulation, and limited compatibility. But
none, read NONE of these products are going to do most of the things that
users of Office are used to. PERIOD.
Latex is fine. But try to give this to an experienced user of Word and it's
not going to happen in this life time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 13:04:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Donal K. Fellows" wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, what do you believe the easy/right way to
>> create classes to be?
>
> I don't believe classes should exist in the system at all. New
> objects should be created by copying prototypes.

That depends on your type-system and to what degree it is leveraged to
improve performance; if you can statically prove that all the objects
provided as a particular formal parameter will support a certain
method, you do not need to include a dynamic (run-time) check for the
existence of that method.  Removing these checks makes for a nice
speed gain, especially in tight loops.

> But *if* classes have to exist (and they don't) then classes have to
> be objects and you create classes by sending messages to other class
> objects.

You can do this in Java (well, if you substitute "call a method" for
"send a message", but that's just syntax) and many people take
advantage of this, since dynamic class creation is definitely fun...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Anyone using MFC desperatly needs a nasal enigma.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:20:04 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3buG5.6100$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8amG5.9426$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <SNIP: other claiming Win2K is great>
>
> > If it were true that win2k integrated with standards you would not
> > have any problems using it as a client to standard LDAP
>
> Please cite specific, documented examples. Until then, I'll consider
> this an unknowledgable contrived statement.

Is there a way to grep the w2k help file for all instances of
'Active Directory'.  Just about every new feature I tried to
use claimed to need it when I tried to follow the help file
instructions.  Perhaps they are wrong.  For example, I wanted
to use a win2k box to do scheduled file replication from a share
not on win2k to a different (remote) win2k box.  The help file
says I need an Active Directory in the picture to do this.  Is it
wrong?

> > and kerberos servers and you would lose no functionality compared
> > to having to run an active directory server.
>
> What functionality would you lose? Specifically?
>
> Here they are:
> a.) Group policy
> b.) Down-level NT authentication tokens
> c.) Group Membership
>
> Of these, which other OS or Kerberos server supports? You can use
> Win2K as a client to any other Kerberos server, but you can't take
> advantage of these features. Why not? Because they're Win2k -> Win2K
> specific. This would not benefit anyone in a Unix <-> Win2K situation,
> so your point is irrelevant.
>
> By the way, Win2K's implementation of Kerberos krbv5 is fully compliant.
> Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

So, what is your recommended approach when you have a win2k domain
as a subset of a Kerberos domain?   Note that I really don't want to hear
that the win2k boxes will refuse to use a standard Kerberos server for
authentication while exchanging their own extra proprietary data among
themselves, or that the only possible way to do it is to pay for MS-client
licenses for all of your standard boxes so you can put everything in AD.

> > I don't think that is true at all.   In fact I think it is like most
> > other Microsoft products that claim standards compliance yet really
> > refuse to interoperate with other vendors' products.
>
> More contrived statments.

Have you ever actually used MS telnet, ftp, frontpage, J++ (just for a
start) with any other vendors' products?   They are broken in ways
that can't possibly be accidental.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 13:19:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>> Even int has a class...named "int".  Can't find it using
>> Class.forName("int"), though; one has to use Integer.TYPE.
>> And Integer.TYPE.newInstance() throws an InstantiationException.

You can also use int.class which indicates the same object as
Integer.TYPE.

> If you can't instantiate it then what makes int an instance
> of that class ??

I can't instantiate new members of the class of Stellar Bodies, but
that doesn't mean that "Stellar Bodies" cannot be considered to be an
(epistemological) class.

There is, of course, the whole question of what "creating a new int"
actually means anyway.  In computing terms, the closest I can get is
by performing some calculation (e.g. 6 * 9) and getting a result
(e.g. 42) but even there you are not really creating a new value,
since insofar as 42 exists at all, it exists independently of what
calculations I (or my proxies) perform.

> Besides, "int" is not an object, it's a type. Individual ints might
> be considered objects if they had a class but they don't.

All types are objects, though they are not usually referred to as such
for syntactic reasons; parsers are more easily written when they are
separate.  Of course, you're not going to understand what I'm talking
about here Ricky...

Donal.

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:39:42 -0400

"Dave Terry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Mike Byrns wrote:
>
> > So they don't read the front page or watch the news?  They all know they
can buy
> > a Mac or get Linux for their PCs.  There just not interested because
Windows
> > satisfies them.  Reference the Gallup poll.
>
> When Joe Blow walks into Best Buy to buy his first computer and sees 20
Windows
> machines set up to choose from, what do you think he's gonna go home with?
Average
> home computer users don't read the front page or watch the news to learn
anything
> about computers or the computer industry - they could absolutely care
less. All
> they want is something that lets them email and surf like their friends
and
> relatives do. The few that have even *heard* of Linux at all have no idea
what it
> actually is.

Good for them. But ignorance is no defense.

> > > The truth is that the average user at home thinks of Windows as part
of the
> > > machine.
> >
> > Wrong.  They read the papers.
>
> No, you are wrong. I am constantly dealing with friends and relatives who
complain
> about their "crappy Compaq" or "crappy HP" when, in fact, there is nothing
wrong at
> all with their hardware - it's the OS that is a disaster and crashing all
the time.
> They TOTALLY equate Windows with the hardware - it's all "the computer" to
them!

The problem usually doesn't lie with hardware OR software, it usually lies
with the cluelessness of the operator.
When the problem actually does occur with the OS, it's probably because a
cheap shareware application has taken the liberty of overwriting a shared
file.

But if you want to see them REALLY complain about their crappy computer?
Install Linux on those machines.

------------------------------

From: "D'Arcy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:55:46 GMT

"Paul 'Z' Ewande©" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8segp0$8r1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I: "- MS gets rid of said undocumented functions."

> Weevil: "...and thereby breaks their competitors product."

> I: "- Not So Smart developers apps break."

> And I add : "- MS apps magically _still_ work."

Yes because of the missing step - the obvious one - MS makes sure that
their apps don't use the API.  As I said I have no idea if it is true... but
it would make logical sense if MS really did use/remove/change the
undocumented APIs.

> Where did I miss a step ?

Right in between them.

> > Do I beleive that an MS app may have used an undocumented
> > API call at one point and then removed that call later?  Yes.

> By definition, if it's undocumented, it's not an API call, sinced the API
is
> the visible interface to the OS. :)

If an MS application makes use of it then it is by definition an API call.

> > Do I beleive that such an API has been removed from Windows?
> > Probably it has.

> That's why it's undocumented: it shouldn't be used. If you rely on it and
> it's removed, and your app breaks, it's your fault.

I don't think anypne disagrees on this point.  The only thing is that
if itdoes get used and one group (MS) knows it is going away before
another group (any other developer) then one group (MS) has an
unfair advantage.

> > > What if simply they didn't use undocumented API functions, would be
> > simpler
> > > than the superior and prescient coding skill people would like to
> > attribute
> > > MS.

> > Uhhh... faulty logic.  What would the reason of having
> > an undocumented API be if nothing called it?

> Maybe it's there for testing purposes until the OS vendor decides to keep
or
> remove it. Or for compatibility purposes ?

I would challenge you to find a call that is for "testing purposes" that
an application could use to do something useful.  Compatibility is
much more likely.

..darcy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:03:04 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Terry Porter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 16 Oct 2000 06:24:27 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:07:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Spoken like a true ex-Linux user.
>>
>>I'm saving this post. A real classic.
>Why ???
>You probably wrote it "Steve/Heathe/Amy/Keys88/Claire_lynn" ?

In case he needs it again. :-)

[rest snipped]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Advocacy NGs == Trollvilles
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:13:02 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:09:14 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I speak from experience, as always.

ROTFLMAO.

mawa
--
Then I guess that would make Microsoft the Hare Krishna corporation...
you give them all your worldly possessions and in return you get a

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:13:48 +0200

It was the Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:02:43 GMT...
...and Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In fact, you'll find that most Linux advocates seem to hate MS for
> no good reason

Um, I don't hate Microsoft.

mawa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Claire Lynn
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:07:26 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:50:43 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well I'll admit that the USA ain't doing too well these days
> especially considering Gore and Bush, but compared to where he lives
> it is a paradise.
>
> I don't enjoy paying $14.00 for breakfast in Germany..
> And having to watch out for the thieves populating the bistro where I
> am eating.
>
> Being from NYC these hooligans are easily spotted, but Germany is in
> big trouble. I was just there 2 weeks ago and thank god I am back from
> that hole.

Heh. This is great. You went to Romania instead of Germany and you
didn't even notice.

mawa
--
Q: What's yellow and smells of bananas ?
A: Monkey vomit.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:15:50 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:47:56 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Pretty good don't cut it.
>
> It sucks and is even more bloated than MSOffice.

Define "it sucks". Define "bloated".

(I don't use office suites at all, BTW, I don't cultivate any
irrational sympathies towards any such product.)

mawa
--
Blümchenpflücker!
Bonsaigärtner!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:17:34 +0200

It was the Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:18:14 +0800...
...and Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a time that will be long remembered.  It has seen the end of UNIX's
> hold on design software, it will soon see the end of its hold on publishing
> software.

Unix? A hold on publishing software?

Hallooooo? <waves hand>

Publishing software has, if any, been an Apple domain... for DTP to be
a real success on Unix workstations, the font handling has always been
too primitive.

The only notable exception is Framemaker, AFAIk. This may change in
the next few years.

mawa
--
Blümchenpflücker!
Bonsaigärtner!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:24:04 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:46:43 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the Linux world that will 100 percent
> emulate MSOffice. Nothing at all.

The inevitable question is: Why would anyone in their right mind even
want to do that?

mawa
--
King of Prussia  |  Rising Sun     |  Bird-in-Hand  |  Intercourse
Blue Ball        |  Bishop's Head  |  Cross Keys

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Why the Linonuts fear me
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:31:02 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:27:46 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why is it not taking over the desktop?

It already is, but it takes time. What do you expect? With all their
illegal practices combined, it took Microsoft about half a decade to
win the desktop. Linux products are being strongly pushed by
Microsoft's competition (which probably tries questionable tactics,
too) and supported by a passionate community; the starting point for
Linux's making headway into the desktop market has probably been the
release of KDE 1.0, which is now nearly two years ago.

Three years from now, have another look. ;)

mawa
--
Level 3 - Network Layer
    User has a major package that may make it to the distros in the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:23:25 +0200

It was the Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:50:23 -0400...
...and jazz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > claire
>

> Are you this offensive in real life too?

Claire does not exist in real life. There has been more than a dozen
of trolls with similar stances and a similar idiom and vocabulary
around on this group over the last months. They all had pseudonyms,
they all posted from New York City IIRC, etc.

The troll has changed its stance from blunt and total denial of any
quality of Linux whatsoever to a slightly differentiated one, where he
pretends to know its advantages as a server operating system. He has
also become a bit, but not much, less offensive. Furthermore, he has
adopted a female nickname, which is a clever move -- he's wagering on
the hormones and/or instincts of the overwhelming male majority in
this group.

Of course the troll ("Claire") is not a woman. No woman would be that
silly, only men are stubborn and playful enough to play a game to the
point of total absurdity and beyond (e.g. the Cold War).

In the de.* hierarchy, we tell everyone who doesn't post under their
realname to fuck off, which is a useful policy IMO.

mawa
--
Blümchenpflücker!
Bonsaigärtner!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:31:53 +0200

It was the Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:46:25 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Married with 3 kids?

Yeah sure, Steve.

mawa
--
To craunch a marmoset.
                -- Pedro Carolino, "English as She is Spoke"