Linux-Advocacy Digest #308, Volume #30           Sun, 19 Nov 00 15:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: The Sixth Sense (phil)
  Re: Alessandro Rubini's very interesting article on system calls... (The Ghost In
The Machine)
  Re: All hail the Konqueror development team (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Mandrake, thoughts? Opinions? (David Steinberg)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Marty)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  RE: It's even worse than I thought.  ("Pedro Iglesias")
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: It's even worse than I thought. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: wahoo!  I'm running now (Topaz Crow)
  Re: wahoo!  I'm running now (Gary Hallock)
  Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: wahoo!  I'm running now (mark)
  Re: Linux Sux (mark)
  Re: Linux + KDE2 + hello world = 8( ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Can't find PC133 memory??? (Ian Pulsford)
  Re: wahoo!  I'm running now ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: A classic example of unfriendly Linux (Gary Hallock)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Linux Can't find PC133 memory??? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("JS/PL")
  Re: wahoo!  I'm running now ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: phil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:10:24 GMT

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyway, Microsoft continues to learn lessons from UNIX, which
> is to their credit.
>
> Chris

You mean: It is to their Bank Credit that Microsoft copies the functionality
and other ideas from other operating systems

Phil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Alessandro Rubini's very interesting article on system calls...
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:11:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:15:12 +0000
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>>
>> I can recall, on many occasions, that every time someone
>> complained about WindowsNT's architecture, one of us in
>> COMNA would point out that moving the GDI into kernel
>> space was a good thing because:
>

>> 1.)  It didn't comprimise stability, since even as a
>
>That's not true.
>
>>      separate module, a GDI fault would cause a BSOD.
>
>This is partly true. A bus fault or something similar will crash any OS,
>whether in the kernel or out of it. There are other faults (like GPFs or
>SEGfaults) which will crash the computer if they happen the kernel, but
>won't if they happen out of the kernel.
>
>So it does compromise stability.

Pedant point:  "bus fault" is treated identically to segmentation
violations or protection faults in any modern Unix (including Linux).
It only crashes the kernel if it occurs within the kernel.

Or it might be totally ignored, or worked around, causing a
performance decrease (since two memory fetches have to be made
now), but little more.  My understanding is that the 8086
didn't care about longword alignment, and subsequent processors
might, but only if a flag is set in the PSW or a control
register; I'd have to look and my book is at home.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: All hail the Konqueror development team
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:29:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, MH
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:22:37 -0500
<8v6374$l9j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>You've hit the nail on the proverbial head. I don't usually stereotype,
>but,..
>most *nix users I meet fall into three categories.
>
>Younger user - (15 - 35) hacker going about their business who understands
>vendor lock and portability issues, or just doesn't have the money to
>develop for windows.-- Or malcontented ex-windows user who despises windows,
>hell, despises most everything.(most of cola)
>.
>Middle aged user - ( 36 - 50) Deep down despises advancements such as KDE
>because they know what they are --a  means by which to bring windows users
>to linux-- but uses them anyway. First to write anti-windows rhetoric while
>never admitting that they really starting using linux to simply be different
>and it became habit.
>Or, gave up on serious windows development because it's simply too damn
>hard.
>Preach advocacy never thinking about the future if linux were to become a
>popular alternative to windows. Probably because they would jump ship again
>the minute it did, not stay and develop for it and make money as they babble
>now.
>
>Older users - (over 50) Still wailing about punch cards and ada. Truly
>despises MS, and will never miss a chance to bash them. Still running a 486
>at home, couldn't care less about KDE. Hey, more power to them!
>
>Notice "home user" is nowhere to be found. With very good reason.

I happen to *be* one, so nice try, but no dice.

I'm squarely in the middle-age bracket, BTW, in case you actually care. :-)
I use fvwm2 at home (with an option to write my own -- try that with
Windows! -- and may eventually even get around to doing so, although
I seem to spend more time playing DOOM than writing code at home
nowadays), and CDE and KDE at work, as well as Windows.
I'm not all that anti-Windows, but I think Microsoft could do better.

A *lot* better.

I will note that NT, for all of its faults, appears to be squarely
and prominently on the IT manager's desktop, and managers, for all of
*their* faults, appreciate the ability to get support and software
from someone they implicitly trust -- which would be Microsoft --
as opposed to Linux, which is probably still regarded as a bit of
an upstart, or an unknown.  Win2k will of course replace NT as
"the most stable operating system out of Redmond".  Of course,
those of us in the know know that the most stable OS from Redmond
has troubles keeping up with operating systems from Unix vendors;
even HP/UX, which is not exactly the best in the biz, seems to be
more stable than Microsoft.  (One issue may be that it is running
on HP equipment, though, which is pretty good equipment. :-) )

Uptimes in years are not unheard of in the Unix camp, but NT
does work satisfactorily when the box is nearby.  BSOD?
Reboot it.  Not a big deal, as long as the file system doesn't
screw up -- and even a file system which only metajournals isn't
going to corrupt things that often.  (Of course, a file system
that journals everything would be better, and I for one am not
clear as to whether NTFS is a full journaler, or merely a
metajournaler.  And I'm not all that thrilled about the MFS, which
seems to keep growing and growing and growing and ....)

>The common element here is "despises"
>The intersection of all linux users is negativity.

If you say so.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:38:07 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Les Mikesell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:11:12 GMT
<QfCR5.21683$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:NvBR5.577$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>

>> > How do you manage to drive a car? or change channels on TV with such a
>poor
>> > long term memory?
>>
>> It's clear how to drive a car or to change a channel on the TV with or
>without
>> the remote.
>>
>> The commands are obvious, and non-cryptic.
>
>Hmmm,  what's a PRNDL and how do you drive if you
>can't pronounce it?  That's about as obvious as stomping
>on the right-mouse button.

That's the 16-bit version.  The 32-bit version is PRND32.  :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- who notes that Saturn upgraded his tranny awhile ago :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: Mandrake, thoughts? Opinions?
Date: 19 Nov 2000 18:39:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Running Linux is a riot for me. It's really one of the funniest things
: on the planet. Much cheaper then going to a comedy club and listening
: to stale jokes all night.

Somehow, I think you're right: watching you attempt to run Linux would be
most entertaining.

Almost as entertaining as reading the humour that your many personalities
like to post here.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:43:09 GMT

Todd wrote:

> Regarding Windows 2000, SP1 debuted recently and the system does need to be
> rebooted for it to take effect.

That's not how I saw it.  A friend of mine was having chronic problems in
Win2K, so I suggested installing the first service pack.  After the first
service pack was installed the problems seemed to go away, but a reboot was
definitely required to get it on there.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:51:46 GMT

In alt.os.linux.mandrake [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 05:52:26 GMT, "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:
:>As for your point. I agree totally. John Q User has little business playing
:>with Linux. I'm not John Q User. I'm a programmer working on dedicated POS
:>software.

: You and Linux sound like a match made in heaven.
: So when is the wedding?

Even if this were true, would it be relevant? I don't see you arguing
for the use of paper cups in place of cut glass, just because Walmart
like to sell them! You can construct an argument here but I don't
think you're trying!

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Pedro Iglesias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: It's even worse than I thought.
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:55:47 GMT

   All of your examples does not mean anything since
you are assuming than Windows would prevent those
to happen, how ? in which way ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:00:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:58:28 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>BEOS has been dropped, long ago as a potential platform by every major
>digital audio program vendor, including Emagic and Steinberg amongst
>others.

I take it this is because NT is better?

Or merely more profitable?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random question here

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:21:52 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 09:23:48 -0500, "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It reminds me of my trips to the zoo as a young man, staring in amazement at
>the great apes.
>I think the apes had more sense.

Exactly the same reason I keep coming back here. This place is one of
the most hysterical groups on the net. It is just like having my own
personal zoo in my studio.

I observe my little pet's and throw them some food once in a while and
then I watch them scurry about all fighting over the same piece of
meat.

It's really quite entertaining observing people who are in love with
an operating system (see the "I'm in Love thread for details").

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz Crow)
Subject: Re: wahoo!  I'm running now
Date: 19 Nov 2000 19:23:23 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 16:10:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On 19 Nov 2000 06:54:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz Crow)
>wrote:
>

>>Simple example:  Two mouse clicks to cut and paste in Linux.  Six in Windows.
>>Hmmm?  I don't think Linux is any less productive on the desktop.  I use it
>>on mine and have not used Windows on my computers for more than a year.  I'm
>>very happy with it.
>

>Windows cut's and pastes between all it's applications. Does Linux?
>Nope.
>
>claire

Have not see one that you cant do this yet.  You can also cut and paste
between consoles.  Which Windows don't even have.

--
Topaz Crow -- No replies by email, sorry.
Reply to alt.anonymous.messages Subject: ATTN: Topaz Crow

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:31:12 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Windows cut's and pastes between all it's applications. Does Linux?
> Nope.
>
> claire

Yes, Linux does, if you use the standard Unix approach - copy with left mouse
key, paste with right.   The only time I have had this fail on any version of
Unix is if numlock is on.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:34:37 -0600

"Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The biggest problem I have with VC++ at the moment is version control.
> If I want to change some small thing, I have to check out everything. If
> someone else wants to make a small change somewhere else, they have to
> also check out everything. This translates into a branch/merge problem
> at check in time. Given limited SCM support, this is a real pain.

What are you talking about?  You don't have to check out everything.  You
need only check out the files you are working on.  What makes you think you

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:36:58 -0600

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8v8v02$hpi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ahhh, I love it! Deffending NT by saying there is something wrong with
> it. And I would say, that retruning a random uptime is something wrong.

Well, no Linux or Solaris server will *EVER* be #1 in a complete list.  In
fact, In about a year, I'd expect no Solaris or Linux servers to be on the
top 50 list.  Since these servers also have a similar bug which will prevent
them from ever displaying an uptime of larger than 497 days.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:29:33 +0000

In article <XBTR5.1650$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Vann wrote:
>In article <8v8fgk$kgu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snip>
>>>
>>> Windows 2000 server costs a pile of money to buy and it still blue
>>> screens.
>>
>> You keep saying this but offer little proof.  Yet, I keep on hearing
>> horror stories from *many* Linux users regarding what should be a simple
>> application:  Netscape.
>>
>> I've heard everything from Netscape crashes to the whole Linux system
>> needing a reboot to 'clean things up'.
>>
>If someone is rebooting to 'clean things up' he or she doesn't know what
>he or she is doing.

Yeah - they were running windows not Linux, I expect.  I have to reboot
the win machine regularly to 'clean things up'.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Linux Sux
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:32:02 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Rosten wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> DOESN'T SUPPORT HARWARE.
>> WON'T INSTALL ON MODERN SYSTIMS.
>> DOESN'T WORK WITH PRINTORS OR MADAMS.
>> SKANNERS DONT WORK.
>> CAMRAS DON'T WORK.
>> HAS NO SOUND.
>> DOESN'T RUN GAMES.
>> HAS 100 DIFFERNT EDITERS BUT NO DECENT BROWSER.
>> IS BUILT BY LUSERS FOR LUSERS.
>>
>> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
>>
>> LINUKS SUKX.....
>>
>> LEE
>

>This isn't a patch on one of Tym Parma's posts.
>editers is spelt with 2 t's (edditers)
>linux is spelt lixnu
>games is spelt gaims
>built -> bilt
>
>etc etc.
>
>not enough speeling errurs.
>
>D for atainment

I have to say that the idea of Linux not working with Madams
fascinating.  Can we assume that the accounts of your
average bordello are handled by Microsoft systems only?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux + KDE2 + hello world = 8(
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:37:19 GMT

Damm. That's the only C program I know and even "I" could make it work
under Borland's Turbo-C and later Turbo C++.

Looks like you better read the "Where are my Libraries"
How-to :)

claire

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 05:42:46 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Can't find PC133 memory???

munke wrote:

> Jolf wrote:
>
> > I  bought a  new mother board, PC chips' VIA KT133 board, with duron and
> > 128 M Pc133 RAM.
> > But my linux can't recognize all my memory. It tell me that all I have
> > is only 64M RAM!!!
> > I tried  Mandrake 7.0, Redhat 6.0(RH6.2 doesn't work), the same results.
> >
> > Under win98,  128M Ram is recognized.
> >
> > Anybody know the problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Redhat always seemed deficient in this area.......Mandrake has  a dialog
> box in the expert install process.
>
> When prompted to enable hdparm et cetera there is an option "append" here
> you can choose to specify your own memory settings in MB.
>
> You can also enter this line at the lilo prompt
>
> before the kernel boots
> example:
>
> LILO:        # at this prompt type
>
> LILO: linux mem=128M
>
> this will have to be done each time you startup
>
> or you can edit the file /etc/lilo.conf
>
> add this line to lilo
>
> append="linux mem=128M" this will ensure that your mem is detected
> everytime...

Not until he runs 'lilo' at the prompt though.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:41:35 GMT

"Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8v7rtr$vrg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Glitches:  Specifying memory addresses for the NIC.   It would be much
> > better if there were some way of doing this automagically, but even if
> > you have to do it by hand, a quick prompt that you should be using 0x
> > style memory addresses would be a Good Thing.  Sigh.
>
> Or use Windows 2000 and have it automatically installed and configured
(for
> both PCI or legacy ISA cards).  Why should you have to know memory
> addresses??

I hope you understand that it is impossible in general to automatically
detect ISA card settings and that any claim otherwise is a lie.  Some
cards can be probed, some can't, and some of the probes needed to
autodetect some devices will accidentally prevent others from working.

> > The NT server is now dark, waiting for the moment when it will become
> > the next Linux server on the network.  I can't wait.
>
> Oh boy oh boy oh boy.  Why are you even using NT?  Windows 2000 is
released,
> btw, and pretty much smokes Linux on all counts.

If you didn't like NT, why are you still dealing with the same company?

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:41:37 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A classic example of unfriendly Linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So how about telling me how to do it under SuSE 6.4 using YaST or
> YaST2 which BTW doesn't even recognize that the card is there.
> I am selecting the Olympic Chipset which IBM says is the correct one.

Olympic?  The olympic driver is for PCI token rings.   You should be using
ibmtr_cs for PCMCIA.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:44:10 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:00:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

>I take it this is because NT is better?
>
>Or merely more profitable?

Personally I had high hopes for Beos in the audio field but....

It's all about profit and that is a key reason why Linux drivers are
an afterthought of the hardware manufacturers.

FWIW Win98SE is still a better digital audio platform than Win2k.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:45:14 GMT

I'm not arguing with him. Linux is a terrific platform for that kind
of work.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:46:19 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:j2TR5.779$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chris Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3a17eeac$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Why in God's name would any Linux user use Notepad?? Oh man...that would
> > have to be this week's signt that the apocalypse is on us...
>

> Perhaps if you had half a clue and at least a 2 post attention span, you
would
> know that we were discussing Wine ability, or inability rather, to run
even
> the most simple Windows applications.
>
> -Chad

Linux has everything working  that people are motivated to build.  What
could possibly be the motivation to make notepad work, other than
just as a side effect of wine's generic win32 interface?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:29:19 GMT

Jolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I  bought a  new mother board, PC chips' VIA KT133 board, with duron and
: 128 M Pc133 RAM.
: But my linux can't recognize all my memory. It tell me that all I have
: is only 64M RAM!!!
: I tried  Mandrake 7.0, Redhat 6.0(RH6.2 doesn't work), the same results.

: Under win98,  128M Ram is recognized.

: Anybody know the problem?

Yeah, you can't read. You can't read the FAQs in particular, or the
BootParam HOWTO, or any of the newsgroup articles in which this
non-problem is brought up 20 times a week, or perhaps your problem is
that you can't SEARCH ...

Upgrade your bios or tell your kernel about the exptra memory at boot
(hint, man lilo.conf, if you boot wih lilo).

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:49:31 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:50:49 -0500, Chas2K
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>over and over to get just these reactions from you. I will build a kill
>filter for Clair the Troll as soon as this post goes out. It will reside
>along side the one for pencil-dick Rev. Kool who trolls the BSD
>newgroups.

There is your first problem.

" Building" a kill filter.

I just killfiled you with 2 mouse clicks..

Bamm...into the Bozo bin...

claire

Linux "The only OS you have to build as you go along".

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:53:59 -0500

> Goldhammer wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> > > If I want a quick & dirty text editor, notepad is my choice.
> >
> > If I want a quick and dirty gui text editor under windows,
> > I'll download a decent one.
> >
> > It's beyond my understanding how MS, a billion+ dollar
> > company, can ship an OS with such a shit default text
> > editor. With all their massive resources, they still
> > haven't ever provided the user with basic text editor
> > fuctionality.
>

> That's because Micro-sheep are too stupid to demand better.

It's an operaiting system, not a text editor.
The second that they include a text editor with any advanced fuctionality
whatsoever the ant-ms crowd will start weeping and wailing that they're
trying to put the little guy making a text editor out of business.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:52:01 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:31:12 -0500, Gary Hallock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes, Linux does, if you use the standard Unix approach - copy with left mouse
>key, paste with right.   The only time I have had this fail on any version of
>Unix is if numlock is on.
>
>Gary

Try it using the menus from KDE editor (either one) into a field on a
webpage using Netscape.

Or just try Select all text from the KDE editor menu and try and use
the buttons to paste it into a field in Netscape.

It doesn't work at least on a Thinkpad 765L which I'm sure you have to
test it on.

claire