Linux-Advocacy Digest #309, Volume #30           Sun, 19 Nov 00 16:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: wahoo!  I'm running now (Gary Hallock)
  Re: It's even worse than I thought. ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: It's even worse than I thought. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: It's even worse than I thought. (matt newell)
  Re: Linux Sux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: It's even worse than I thought. (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux? ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Chad Myers")
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux (Uncle Fester)
  Re: Linux + KDE2 + hello world = 8( ("Vann")
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Tim Tyler)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux (Uncle Fester)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Tim Tyler)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux (Uncle Fester)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Tim Tyler)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux (Black Dragon)
  Re: Linux Can't find PC133 memory??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 10th grader com sci homework request ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: I thought Linux was always available free of charge? (The Ghost In The Machine)

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:50:51 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wahoo!  I'm running now

Gary Hallock wrote:

> Yes, Linux does, if you use the standard Unix approach - copy with left mouse
> key, paste with right.   The only time I have had this fail on any version of
> Unix is if numlock is on.
>
> Gary

Sorry for the typo.  I meant paste with middle button.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's even worse than I thought.
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:53:52 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:21:56 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >It will.  If it weren't for the issue of staying compatible with
> >data stored in proprietary formats by programs that established
> >their ubiquity through illegal practices, it already would be.
>
> Yawnnn.. Very old...
> It's known as competition and it leads to progress. That is why
> Windows programs are so much better than Linux ones, if you can even
> find a Linux program.
>
> claire

Yes, breaking up Standard Oil and AT&T did lead to progress, and
we will see it again soon.   I see notepad and wordpad as the
main applications with windows, but Linux has about 3,000 choices
all included with the distribution - no problem finding them.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:53:53 GMT

I could care less what you believe. Try discussing the topic instead
of making up fantasies in your mind Gary.

claire

------------------------------

From: matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:53:52 -0800

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:56:08 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >>Fortunately Linux is doing just fine in all markets without
> >>you acting as the spokesperson.
>
> Not on the desktop it isn't.
>

> >>Do any of them have a Tivo?  They are already running Linux.
>
> And that is certainly a perfect use for Linux. Behind the scenes so to
> speak where it's price per performance is high and it's hardware
> requirements are low. Also where the user is isolated to a great
> degree from it's hostile nature..
Price Per Performance == Price / Performance == 0/Performance == 0
That is not high- high would be bad
Since Windows always costs something, Linux always has a lower price per
performance.

What I think you ment was Performance Per Price -- In this area linux is
undefined :)

Matt Newell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Sux
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:58:05 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:32:02 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) wrote:

>I have to say that the idea of Linux not working with Madams
>fascinating.  Can we assume that the accounts of your
>average bordello are handled by Microsoft systems only?
>
>Mark

Assuming they run Quick Books I would say so.

Linux need not apply, yet again.

Penguinista's are probably bad for business in a Bordello anyway. I
mean, I've heard that they rarely bathe?

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:02:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charlie Ebert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:46:44 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>>kiwiunixman wrote:
>>>
>>> Have to agree with you Lynn.  Until Linux is made totally "halfwitt
>>> proof", the average Joe or Jane moron will never move to Linux.  Windows
>>> is almost there (after seeing the latest clips of Windows Whistler), and
>>
>>Oh really.
>>
>>"made for nitwits" is exactly what caused the spread of
>>
>>Melisssa, ILoveYou, etc.
>
>Let me try and tell you why I'm not even remotely worried about
>the comments from Windows USER LAND.
>
>#1.  People like Claire and others can BITCH but when push comes
>     to shove, they end up following the line - what ever it is.
>     This should be very evident to most folks after having read
>     her 9 steps to buying a hard drive at comp usa thing.

I take it you're referring to the Microsoft company line?
Like, for instance, the notion that Win2k now fixes all of the
bugs in NT, whereas NT was previously promoted as "the bug-free" OS? :-)

If so, I agree with you.

>#2.  Linux will end up being the WINNER in the OS wars for the
>     simple reason, it's FREE.

Debatable, for various reasons.  One issue is support by a
reputable vendor.  (I would include Cygwin, now owned by
RedHat, as a reputable support vendor, but I'm not sure
everyone would, especially since Microsoft has effectively
brainwashed so many.)

There are also other operating systems, such as FreeBSD.
Linux is blazing a trail, but it may be upstaged someday.
(This is not a bad thing, of course, as long as the upstager
is at least as reliable and desirable as the upstagee -- and
FreeBSD is pretty good, from what I hear, even better than
Linux for high-traffic network apps.)

>#3.  Linux will never be the OS for nitwits.

One advantage for Linux is that nitwits can't screw it up,
if they don't have root access.  :-)  I for one would
think that this makes it especially suited for children.

>#4.  Claire and company will eventually learn to use Linux
>     and probably start a campaign against HERD someday.

You mean HURD, GNU's operating system?
Not sure how it's doing, although I see Debian has a variant
of its distribution built against it.

>#5.  Never take anybody who thinks Direct X is a benefit
>     to society seriously.  Take her example of recording
>     an LP and making an MP3 or was it a cassette?

Oh yeah, like one *really* needs DirectX for that!  (??)

>     Claire - There is an audio in and out jack on the
>     back of every sound card.  Linux will make an MP3
>     from this.  Direct X has nothing to do with Audio in nor out.

With additional software, perhaps -- I'm pretty sure mpeg123
is freely available, however.  Haven't used it.

>     Linux DOES have audio auditing software.  See Debian.
>
>#6.  Linux embedded really means windows buried.

One can but hope.  WinCE is still out there, although
I don't hear a lot of noise regarding it.

Of course, the ideal operating system for an embedded
app would be the invisible one.  :-)  Linux does that
darned well; once set up, one barely needs to touch it.
And with embedded aps, one can replace init with something
more custom-tailored to the given app -- after all,
"linux init=/bin/sh" means that the root of the entire
process tree (process number 1) is a SHELL, a dumb little program
that forks off other programs!  This should make embedded
apps almost trivial, especially with such a robust foundation.

>Hope that clears that up.

It does for me; dunno about Claire. :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- is anyone else reminded of Claire Brewster?  :-)

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:03:51 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The point about this thread is that a lot linux people seem to have
> opinions of C++ which are not based on fact. They are of the opinion
> that C++ is bad, facts be damned, and they'll make up whatever "facts"
> they need. I just want to understand why, and as yet, have no idea why
> people claim the things that they do.

I think it boils down to the fact that C++ pushes a whole lot of complexity
into the compiler to remove a small amount from the programmer.  In
the long run this may turn out to be a good thing, but so far there is
a history of compiler versions that are incomplete, incompatible with
each other and unpredictable in various ways.   How can we be
sure that era is past?

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:48:36 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Les Mikesell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:11:12 GMT
> <QfCR5.21683$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:NvBR5.577$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >poor
> >>
> >> It's clear how to drive a car or to change a channel on the TV with or
> >without
> >> the remote.
> >>
> >> The commands are obvious, and non-cryptic.
> >
> >Hmmm,  what's a PRNDL and how do you drive if you
> >can't pronounce it?  That's about as obvious as stomping
> >on the right-mouse button.
>
> That's the 16-bit version.  The 32-bit version is PRND32.  :-)

I hear that the major car makers are going to start putting
the high-beam switch back on the floor of cars shipped to
Palm Beach county because too many residents are getting into
accidents because they're getting their foot caught in the
steering wheel.

-Chad

Ba-dump-da-*CHING*

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:49:58 GMT

"phil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>           Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Anyway, Microsoft continues to learn lessons from UNIX, which
> > is to their credit.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> You mean: It is to their Bank Credit that Microsoft copies the functionality
> and other ideas from other operating systems

Spare us the sanctimony. As much is copied from Windows as MS copies from other
OSes, if not more.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:09:27 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Code" runs faster on Linux? Or faster on Windows?
>
> Who the hell cares what speed some snippet of a totally useless to the
> average Jane piece of code runs at.

Well, benchmarks are only a guide at best, and give an indicator of what
you might be able to expect with different systems.

The original poster seems to think Linux is faster than Windows, yet the
basic tests I did don't agree with that.

POVray is of interest to me as it's photorealistic graphics, something I
like to fool around with. If it truly ran faster on Linux, it would be a
reason to switch.

It doesn't show any significant speed increase, so...

> The Penguinista's are constantly talking techno babble while the rest
> of the earth is talking applications.

Are you calling me a Penguinista because I use a "totally useless to the
average Jane" piece of code?

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:09:14 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:58:28 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> >BEOS has been dropped, long ago as a potential platform by every major
> >digital audio program vendor, including Emagic and Steinberg amongst
> >others.
>
> I take it this is because NT is better?
>
> Or merely more profitable?

Thank you, you make my point perfectly.  To the proprietary companies,
you are nothing more than a profit margin.  They're after bigger
markets, not better platforms for their software to run on.  Which makes
them, to many people, irrelevant.  Who needs them?  The Open Source &
Free Software Movement are much more civilized.

--

Chuck Kandler

Never underestimate the power of
Stupid People in large groups.

Registered Linux User #180746
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "Vann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + KDE2 + hello world = 8(
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:09:29 GMT

<snip>
Mandrake tends to avoid installing development packages.  It will install
the libraries, but not the needed header and source files.  I'd look for a
package like kde2-devel, qt2-devel, or something similar.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy
From: Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:00:31 GMT

In comp.lang.java.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Andrew Suprun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Myers) wrote:

:> >I taught myself the rules of relational databases and normalization
:> >in Access.
:>
:> Next, learn OOP/OOD/OOA using VB.

: While I realize VB doesn't have full OO support, learning basic concepts
: of classes several years ago in VB allowed me to more fully understand
: the OO concepts in C++.

: Just like Access, VB is a launching point.

So - you learn OOP/OOD/OOA using VB, and then taught yourself the rules of
relational databases with Access...

What's the next thing for you to learn, Microsoft man?

Is it a) securing your email system with Outlook Express?
      b) sharing documents over the internet with Microsoft Word? ...or...
      c) stabilising your PC - with Windows 98?
--
__________                  http://alife.co.uk/  http://mandala.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:11:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Linux "The only OS you have to build as you go along".

At least we know *HOW*.

HTH
--

Chuck Kandler

Never underestimate the power of
Stupid People in large groups.

Registered Linux User #180746
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:05:49 GMT

In comp.lang.java.advocacy Artur Biesiadowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Chad Myers wrote:

:> But it has to break up the database into seperate files or
:> do some other fancy tricks right?

: Excuse me, but do you think that keeping entire database in single file
: is good idea ? Does oracle (which seems to be clear winner in terms of
: scalibility) keep entire database in single file ? No [...]

: What's the difference if db would like to keep every table in separate
: file ??

For one thing, recovery from corruption is likely to be easier.
--
__________  Lotus Artificial Life  http://alife.co.uk/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:14:17 GMT

Chas2K wrote:

> Beware the Microsquat trolls, M'friends. And look at the mail server
> name- hotmail.com, it's a FreeBSD operating system based server that
> Microsquat keeps because it's better than that crap WinBlows2000
> travesty.
>
> Don't feed the damn trolls. They live on a diet of FUD. You can never
> get them to listen to reason or do more than just parrot the same crap
> over and over to get just these reactions from you. I will build a kill
> filter for Clair the Troll as soon as this post goes out. It will reside
> along side the one for pencil-dick Rev. Kool who trolls the BSD
> newgroups.

Agreed.  There's not much useful to be gained here.

From: Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:09:55 GMT

In comp.lang.java.advocacy Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> > > 2. How many users does MS claim MSDE is "optimized" for?
:> >
:> > 20.
:>
:> Try 5.
:>
:> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/APG01.htm
:>
:> Microsoft: "MSDE doesn't limit the number of users who can connect to
:> its database, but it is optimized for five users. For a larger numbers
:> of users, you should use SQL Server 7.0."

: Not so. [...]

Look, that was a quote from the above microsoft.com URL.

Are you saying they are stupid - or that they are lying?
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:16:38 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:09:27 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Are you calling me a Penguinista because I use a "totally useless to the
>average Jane" piece of code?

Not at all Pete, sorry for the mis-understanding. I generally agree
with you.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon )
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:15:09 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:49:31 GMT in alt.linux,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:

[cross posts trimmed claire's current whore house]

: On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:50:49 -0500, Chas2K
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:
:
: >over and over to get just these reactions from you. I will build a kill
: >filter for Clair the Troll as soon as this post goes out. It will reside
: >along side the one for pencil-dick Rev. Kool who trolls the BSD
: >newgroups.
: >
:
: There is your first problem.
:
: " Building" a kill filter.
:
: I just killfiled you with 2 mouse clicks..
:
: Bamm...into the Bozo bin...
:
: claire
:
: Linux "The only OS you have to build as you go along".

Fuck'n blow me you cheap cock sucking whore. Why don't you go fuck
around in Pimp Billy's news groups with all the other skanky
whores, and let the Linux folk go about their business.

5 keystrokes later ....

*PLONK*

--
Black Dragon

Sign The Linux Driver Petition:
http://www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Can't find PC133 memory???
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:20:26 GMT

Yea that's the ticket. What a typical Penguinista answer.

The guy has a state of the art system and Linux turns it into a slug
so you Penguinista's tell him he didn't read enough.

Wonder how many people like him are running their 256 meg systems
using only 64 meg all because they made the mistake of running Linsux.

Know how many documents I had to read to run Windows, all the way from
Windows 2.0 (yes that's 2.0) to Win2k?

Absolutely zero.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10th grader com sci homework request
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:13:38 -0500

Tina Wyndham wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I have to write a large paper for Computer Science class.
> I have written whatI know and what I have found in the internet
> that i know is true. would you add to the list.
>
>  It is simply the differences between the four major O/S's.
> It doesnt have to be in sentences or anything I will do that later,
>  but at least so I can understand it, that would be great. thanks.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tina Wyndham
>
> ----
>
> microsoft :
>
> 1.has foot in nearly every door of all organizations on planet earth
>
> 2.good portion of Microsoft computer operators,
> presently unfazed to extremely cautious regarding source code theft from
> MicroSoft HQ.
>
> 3.has proven the best marketing for building a better faster product is
> global beta testing
> for close source software.

Correction:  the best marketing is to intimidate OEM's into not carrying
any other competing products...and in case end-customers demand the
competitor's product instead, make sure the contracts state that the
OEM still pays Microsoft [even though the customer actually had
DR-DOS or Linux installed].

> 4.Security problems are common due to collaboration errors and
> fundmental testing
> phases,
>
> 5.fixes or patches are readily available and are not usually immediately
> issued, nor
> explained.
>
> 6.Has one of the monetarily wealthiest men at the helm.
>
> 7.Has made quite a few billioniares
>
> 8.Has made more then a few millionaires.
>
> 9.Follows what it can't develop in real time, offeres to purchase stake.
>
> 10.Creates mass use for dependecy.
>
> 11.Uses different operating systems to deliver software via the internet
> because they run
> faster and are more dependable.
>
> 12.Created a large workforce and product(s) to work on.
>
> 13.requires no knowledge of computers
> 14.has fanatics praising its side
>
> ( add to list below here please)
>
> Linux(s):
>
> 1.was developed by guy who didn't like licensed software.
> 2.making solid progress in the name of computing
> 3.Cannot be stolen, source can be purchased if not downloaded for free.
> 4. runs well for months at a time.
>
> 5. Security problems are common due to collaboration errors and
> fundmental testing
> phases,
>
> 6.fixes or patches readily available and usually immediately issued and
> explained.
>
> 7.has fanatics praising its side
> can emulate operating systems
>
> 8.Created a large workforce and product(s) to work on.
> requires knowledge of computers
>
> 9.Runs microsoft ftp servers.
>
> ( add to list below here please)
>
> BSD(s)
>
> 1. variants have collaborated.
>
> 2. Quietly making solid progress in the name of computing
>
> 3. Security problems are few due to collaboration errors and fundmental
> testing phases,
>
> 4. fixes or patches readily available and usually immediately issued and
> explained.
>
> 5. has fanatics praising its side
> can run binaries of other operating systems
>
> 6. Created respectable workforce and product(s) to work on.
>
> 7.requires advanced knowledge of computers
> Runs microsoft ftp servers.
>
> apple :  ( i dont't know anything about them.) yet.

> Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: I thought Linux was always available free of charge?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:25:26 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charlie Ebert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:53:11 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Or the grossly overpriced distributions in the superstores like
>>CompUSA.
>>
>>There is one that is in this big fat box (Professional Linux?)that
>>includes all kinds of archive CD's, various distributions and
>>essentially a collection of junk that you can get for free on the net.
>>
>>It sells for $149.00.
>>
>>What a gross rip off.
>>
>>claire
>>

>Here's one where I will AGREE with Claire.
>
>The price of Suse, Mandrake, RedHat Deluxe, and others have
>risen to $80 from $45-55 range.
>
>I have one word which covers this subject.
>
>DEBIAN.
>
>Enough said.
>
>Charlie

I have another word to add to this subject:  CheapBytes. :-)

Admittedly, it was awhile ago, but CDs from CheapBytes are
cheaper than the shipping costs, and if one buys them
in clumps (as opposed to one at a time), the shipping costs
per CD go down.

To download it off the net costs money, too -- in a sense.
Assume a 56k modem line (which in my case translates to
3.7kB per second -- probably something to do with the
quality of my phone lines), or 319.68 MB / day,
or 9.5904 GB / 30 day month.  Since I pay $30/month,
this means my downloading costs are $3.13 a GB,
and it takes me 3 days straight.

A person with a 128Kb ISDN line would pay about half that,
if not less, depending on his monthly fixed costs.
A person with a 384Kb ISDN line would pay even less.

There are also disk storage costs, although if one pays
$100 for a 30 GB drive, this works out to .33 cents a megabyte,
or $3.33 a gigabyte.  There are issues with MTBF and amortization,
which I won't go into here, but if one wants to keep the data
for a year, the cost would be one-half, or $1.67 per gigabyte-year,
if the drive MTBF is 2 years (note that 20,000 hours = 2.28 years).

It's still cheaper to go by CheapBytes, but it won't be for long. :-)