Linux-Advocacy Digest #653, Volume #30            Tue, 5 Dec 00 00:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux is awful ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Linux is awful ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: OS Sound OFF. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: OS Installation Help? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: OS Sound OFF. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [OT] Gore & Bush ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Linux is awful (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Goldhammer)
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Goldhammer)
  Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux ("Dennis Popov")
  Re: Linux is awful (Uncle Fester)
  Re: Linux is awful (Uncle Fester)
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux is awful ("Michael")
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Linux is awful (Uncle Fester)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux is awful ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Ayende Rahien")

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:10:20 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:vMXW5.1336$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> What about installing TrueType Fonts?  Dozens of steps in Linux, while
it's
> just a matter of dragging them to your font folder in Windows.

I take it you haven't used a recent RedHat or Mandrake?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:08:46 GMT

"Christopher L. Estep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:HFTW5.146111$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> True, Linux has made major strides in everything from application support
> hardware support, but the learning curve is worse than that for Windows
NT;
> FAR worse.  The learning curve for Windows 2000 is, to some extent, easier
> than that for 9x (and FAR easier than that for NT 4), and that for
Whistler
> is planned to be easier still.  Can Linux fix this without alienating the
> techies who love Linux BECAUSE of the steep learning curve?

Nobody likes a steep learning curve, but be realistic: you are going to
be a beginner once for a week or two.  Then you are going to use it
for years.  Which stage should you optimize the UI for?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF!
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:09:08 +0000

kiwiunixman wrote:

> 1st Computer: BBC Micro w/ 32K memory + 360k 5.25 Floppy Disk drive

OK it's a long shot, but could you tell me where to get a BBC Micro from
these days?
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS Sound OFF.
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:13:32 +1300

I not going to flame, I envious that you still have your Amiga.  I was
going to buy an Amiga 1200 (with 4 MB Ram, the new AGA chipset,20 HDD
etc), but I never did, now I am really regreting it.  From my
experience, the AmigaOS was the best OS I have ever used in terms of
ease of use, speed and stability.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:16:03 +0000

> Ummm... the VIC-20 had a 64k address space (the vast majority being mapped
> ROM), but only 3k of usable, unextended RAM. Yes, that is right, it had only 3k
> of usable RAM.
>
> You could purchase 16k expansion board for the blasted thing, bumping the total
> usable RAM up to a whopping 19k. I had the 8k expansion board.

<snip>
> It was quite easy to write basic programs that consumed all avaialble memory.

I can't be that hard to use all available memory now - look at
Netsc(r)ape!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:22:04 +0000

<snip>
> Home-Built 386/40Mhz
> ---------------------
> I sold the XT box to a clueless lady who just wanted a computer to run windows.
> It ran windows 3.0 (not well), but it didn't matter.
I once ran windows 3.0 on a 286/16MHz.  And it worked better than Win 98
on a 250MHz system.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OS Installation Help?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:24:26 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm expecting to get a new hard drive in the next few weeks :)  Let's
> say it's an 80 gig drive.
>
> I would like to have the following OS's installed on it.  Linux
> (Corel), Windows Me (i know but i love games), and Windows 2000 (java
> and oracle development).
>
> How should i proceed?  I would like to have 20 gig set aside for Linux,
> 40 gig for Me and 20 gig for Win 2000.
>
> I don't know anything about how to install multiple os's because the
> whole partitioning thing is confusing to me.
>
> I'm sure this has been asked a million times and i apologize.  If you
> can point me to some FAQ's, that would be great.
>
> Thank you so much,
> Dave
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
F*** that.  Install Linux, go into web hosting and wtch the money roll
in!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:26:49 +0000

<snip>

> Everything I need is available for Linux.
>
> I still miss OS-8 on a PDP-8 and teco:-)

You old fart!

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Gore & Bush
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:12:10 GMT

"Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:OXRW5.107047$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Stefan Ohlsson wrote:

> times
> > > >
> > > I'm sorry to budge in, but I just want to say what I think of this
> > > and that is that it is just sad.
> > >
> > > Gore is afraid to lose if a recount isn't made
> > > Bush is afraid to lose if a recount _is_ made.
> > >
> > > Why couldn't they just have done the recount and then accept the
> > > result of it? Instead they act like children in a sandbox trying to get
> > > votes included and excluded, recounts made and disallowed.
> >
> > There have been TWO recounts already.
> >
> > On the initial count: Bush won
> > On the first recount: Bush won
> > On the second recount: Bush won
> >
> > How many more do they need?
> >
> Are machines perfect?   The makers of the voting machines say the is a
> margin of error and the winning count falls within that range.

This margin of error occured all over the nation. In fact, Miami-Dade had
one of the lowest occurances of no-votes or voter error in the entire nation.

If we were to make a special case for these few individuals, we would
esentially be disenfranchising the 1-2 million other non-voters in the rest
of the nation.

(Note: the average margin of error in elections is 1-2% which is about 1-2
million votes nation-wide. In Miami-Dade, it was ~10,750 which was under
1% of the vote in that county)

> BTW Gore won the national election by 300,000 votes

s/won/winning/

There are still some 600,000 (as of Friday, probably less now) absentee
ballots in California alone to be counted. Keep in mind these are
absentee, mostly millitary which Bush has done well with. It's quite
feasible that Bush could wint the popular vote in the end.

> but so far is losing the Electoral college vote.

So what's your point? Both candadites knew the rules going in. That
is what the Constitution has said since it was ratified. In fact,
Gore knew it all too well, otherwise he would've campaigned only
in New York and California (which is why we have the Electoral College
in the first place). He knew the rules, he lost. Get over it.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:36:58 GMT

 From the few posts I have seen of yours (Pete) you sound very similar
to Martin Luther, questioning the establishment, and simply wanting
reform rather than seperation.  It is good that there are questions
about Linux bought into the open.  With the lack of accountability and
questioning, corruption can eat away at the core of any organisation.
Occasionally, there will be extremists, however, when someone criticises
Linux, say in the area of User Friendlyness, the Linux developer
community should analyse the gripe of a user, and address the issue,
thus making it different from the Microsoft Developer community that
tells users what they want rather than the other way around.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Goldhammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:41:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Goldhammer wrote:

> > > It's beyond my understanding how MS, a billion+ dollar
> > > company, can ship an OS with such a shit default text
> > > editor. With all their massive resources, they still
> > > haven't ever provided the user with basic text editor
> > > fuctionality.
> >

> > That's because Micro-sheep are too stupid to demand better.
>
> It's an operaiting system, not a text editor.

AFAIK, designing a text editor is considered to be a
systems programming task.

> The second that they include a text editor with any advanced
> fuctionality whatsoever the ant-ms crowd will start weeping and
> wailing that they're trying to put the little guy making a text
> editor out of business.

We are not discussing advanced functionality. We are talking
about basic functionality, or the lack thereof in the case of
MS Notepad.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

From: Goldhammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:50:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:

> > You need one or more with regular expression matching and
> > substitution. How many of the ones included with Windows have it?

> No Les, YOU need one with regex capability.  You are not
> representative of the typical computer user.

In your view, what defines a "typical computer user"? Someone
who has had their brain removed?

> Try something -- stop some folks next time you're at
> the mall -- ask them what a regular expression is...

So, the typical computer user is a computer illiterate?

That's the conclusion you will draw if you interrogate
random individuals walking about the local mall food court.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

From: "Dennis Popov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:07:38 -0500

it works just fine if you add it to rc.local
news:DFXW5.1311$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:19:03 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Oh, you mean like installing nvidia drivers for your TNT card.  That's a
> needlessly complex task under Linux, and a matter of a few automated steps
> in Win2k.
>
> Or how about turning on ultra DMA?  Windows will often figure out if the
> drive supports it and enable it.  If it doesn't, it's a matter of right
> clicking the drive in device manager and changing a dropdown box.  With
> Linux, it's figuring out a 20 parameter long hdparm string and figuring out
> where in the startup scripts to put it.
>
> What about installing TrueType Fonts?  Dozens of steps in Linux, while it's
> just a matter of dragging them to your font folder in Windows.
>
> How about setting your monitor refresh rate?
>
> That's just off the top of my head, I can list dozens of tasks that are much
> much harder under Linux than Win 2000.  Which tasks are easier under Linux?

The lack of reboots.  ;-)

--
Chuck Kandler

Registered Linux User #180746
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:21:51 GMT

Graymalkin wrote:

> Who the fuck cares about what is going on inside of the computer, thats why
> we use them and don't try to do a bunch of mathematical computations by
> hand. A system that is easy to use is not automatically weak which is a
> relative term anyways...

<SNIP>

An obvious Windows user here...

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:00:03 +0200

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90h7km$14a6j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Well, actually, Windows can do this too.  Not as well, not as easily,
> >and not as conveniently, but it can do it.
> >

> Wow, I never thought I would see you give even small praise to windows.
>
> Are you having a sick day or something max?

File>Print>Print To File

How much simplier can it get?

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:55:39 +1000

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:vMXW5.1336$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> That's just off the top of my head, I can list dozens of tasks that are
much
> much harder under Linux than Win 2000.  Which tasks are easier under
Linux?

Keeping a stable box.
Looking at the source code.
Using my machine the way I want to use my machine.

Need I go on?

-m

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 17:28:25 +1300

The best bet would be to go to a garage sale, I grabed mine for around
$5 from a garage sale.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:31:32 GMT

> I'm all for Linux, and am slowly making the shift to only Linux, but the more
> I'm involved with it, the more I get the feeling that the Linux community is
> not really interested in helping the average user.  In fact, they tend to
> view the average user as a 'luser' which is pathetic really.
>
> Linux users wake up!  Don't slap new users in the face.

Now hold on here...  This sounds as though we should be begging, or at
least grateful, that these folks are making the switch to Linux.  First
let's examine some facts.  Windows cost plenty of $$.  Linux is
available (legally) for free.  For your $$ investment, you get a
plethora of BSOD's, lock-ups & just plain kludgy-ness.  The Free OS
gives trouble-free performance, and enables you to learn enough about
your machine to never have to rely on a stupider-than-a-human device
again, but rather *it* will rely upon *your* expertise.  No... we don't
need to beg or be thankful for any one of our converts.  Those with
sense will be coming over to Linux regardless.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 06:30:40 +0200

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90hcqc$fl8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:909ebd$nc2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> :> No.  The solution is to make it so that normal user ID's can't
> :> futz with the system, thus killing two birds with one stone by
> :> also solving the problem of local system security.
>
> : Done on the non-9x line.
>
> Not really.  How does one temporarily "su" to Administrator just
> to run one GUI app, and then get out, without logging all the way
> out and back in?  That sort of thing is needed or else people who
> can will tend to run as Admin all the time so they can get things
> done without having to log out and in all the time.

You can do runas in GUI, (shift>right click icon) or just runas explorer and
open all the files from there as on that window, you are admin.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 06:31:57 +0200

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:15:03 +0200,
> Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"I R A Darth Aggie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:45:33 +0200,
> >> Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
> >> <90ftn4$qoko$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> +
> >> + "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> + news:sqDW5.29923$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> + >
> >> + > "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> + > news:90ebn3$smj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> + > >
> >> + > >
> >> + > > > Just read the guides first.
> >> + > >
> >> + > > I know that it is in the docs, the reason I've problems with it
is
> >that
> >> + > > Redhat neglected to put a simple warning box through the
> >installation.
> >> + > > You may disagree, but on every other possibly distructive action,
> >you
> >> + get
> >> + > a
> >> + > > warning saying this may be dangerous. Why not on one of the most
> >> + dangerous
> >> + > > thing that you can do to your computer?
> >> + >
> >> + > Are you sure about that?  I can't remember exactly which steps I
used
> >> + > on which distribution, but I am sure that I went through a
workstation
> >> + > and server install to see what you get and before it changed the
> >> + partitions
> >> + > it issued a warning about losing all contents on the hard disks.
> >That
> >> + > could have been Mandrake, or perhaps you used some unusual modes
> >> + > expert/text, etc. that exposed a bug.
> >> +
> >> + Yes, I'm sure of it.
> >> + A Server Installation in RedHat will wipe out every last bit of data
> >you've
> >> + on your system and will take it, without a *single warning*.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the warning came before you expected it. I can't speak to
> >> RedHat, but I know Debian puts up a warning of "you should back up
> >> your data first, installing this software could wipe out everything
> >> you've" very, very early on.
> >
> >No warning whatsoever during the installation of redhat server.
> >Not early on or during the parts where you choose
server/workstation/custom.
> >None at all.
> >

> I think you will find that even RedHat has printed in their
> install manual this information.  But you must be able to read.

So must you, "No warning whatsoever *during the installation* of redhat
server"

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 06:34:59 +0200

"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90ho5q$73f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > That's because Micro-sheep are too stupid to demand better.
> >
> > It's an operaiting system, not a text editor.
>

> AFAIK, designing a text editor is considered to be a
> systems programming task.
>

> > The second that they include a text editor with any advanced
> > fuctionality whatsoever the ant-ms crowd will start weeping and
> > wailing that they're trying to put the little guy making a text
> > editor out of business.
>

> We are not discussing advanced functionality. We are talking
> about basic functionality, or the lack thereof in the case of
> MS Notepad.

what basic functionality is notepad missing?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 06:44:09 +0200

"Matt Kennel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:19:45 GMT, Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :"Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> :
> :>>> Are you psychic or psychotic?
> :
> :>> You don't have to be either, just a bit less than dim-witted.  If you
> :>> use e.g. SGML for your data format, it isn't very hard to be forward
> :>> compatible.
> :
> :> But that isn't the case, and IIRC nobody is doing that.
> :
> :Yes, a lot of people use closed and proprietary data formats, since
> :they then get an interface they're used to.  Not everybody,though.
> :
> :It's not a technical problem, though, the lack of forward
> :compatibility is either due to
> :
> :        a) incompetence and short-sightedness
> :        b) wishing to lock in users and force software upgrades
> :        c) malice
> :
> :In most cases, I'd be inclined to suggest a).  Feel free to make up
> :your own mind.
>
> The subpoenaed record of internal Microsoft documents over the last 10
> years has shown that in many reasonably similar situations, the intent
> was principally (b), the motivation being "anti-competitive practices
> to get more money for Microsoft", which some people might consider to
> be malicious.
>
> Think about it this way.
>
> Microsoft is making a really BIG push for XML, and working with
> various XML standardization committees for various industries to
> decide on their data formats.
>
> Note that XML is just syntax by itself; the definition of the semantics of
> the tags by such committees is the crucial piece.
>
> Where is the XML standardization committee for
>
>              THE WORD PROCESSING INDUSTRY?
>
> and will Word 200x use the standard format therein as its native format?

Yes.
And when it does, it would be a a POC just to look at the file with a text
editor, and build a compatible word proceccor.