From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:05:22 GMT

In article <E2oX5.15014$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Steve Mading writes:
>
>>> Bill Vermillion writes:

>> I would disagree strongly.  Using the typewriter keys (like hjkl) is
>> much, much faster than losing the home-row placement of your fingers
>> to go hit the arrow keys, or the 'ins/home/end.etc...' keys, or to
>> move the mouse.

>Except that while you're typing, if you want to go back and correct an
>error, you first have to get out of insert mode by finding that escape
>key, which isn't on the home row, and then you have to get back into
>insert mode with the i key, which also isn't on the home row.

I've used keyboards where the Escape key was next to the 1.  Those
were quick.  It is reach to the Esc with it's typical replacement.
But the 'i' is directly above the 'k'.  If the requirement is to
keep your fingers on the home row then we'd have a very small
alphabet. You are assuming I'll always hit 'i' after I type
xp, or x, or some other key.  Often I'll type 'a' which is on the
home row. :-)

>> Although it is different than other editors, it's the feature that
>> makes it very fast.

>Not to me.  Given the option, I find myself running off to use BRIEF
>or some editor with BRIEF key bindings.

Well when I learned vi, you had your choice of vi or ed in the
disribution.  If you wanted to import some other editor like emacs,
you'd have to build it yourself.  On Unix systems with 256K that
was pretty big.  vi on this system is a bit over 256K.  The first
vi I used was quite small, but then the kernels were in the 70K
range too.

>> I realize that this was not due to some major plan or anything - it
>> was an accidental side effect of the lack of those special keys back
>> in the days when vi was being first developed.  But it's a GOOD side
>> effect.

>Making it a screen editor was much more valuable to me than the choice
>of keys to use for cursor movement.

Correct.  But you didn't have a lot of choices for cursor movement
in 'the olden dayze'.  I just pulled a genyoowine digital VT101
manaul from the shelf yesterday = printed in 1981.  It really makes
me appreciate what we have today. [entire messsage - and for that
fact all my usenet stuff - composed in vi - in character mode - on
an 80x24 display].  You can speed read those. :-)

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

------------------------------

From: Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:00:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You linux assholes who
> post pure lies like "Windows won't run more than a few days
> at a time" are full of shit.  You are sitting there with your head
> stuck under the ground, trying to tell people what the world is
> like.  Those of us who aren't hiding can look and see that the
> world is nothing like you claim.

Then you never use your Windows machine much.  Try this:

!)Fire up a session of Q3A.  After a hour or so, exit
2)Fire up a session of UT.  Same procedure.
3)Fire up your ISP & Netscape.  Don't be shy.  Open your email window,
your newsreader window, have 5 or 6 browser pages open, chasing down
those hot leads on whatever topic interests you.
4)Shut it down & check your system resources.

Odds are, you're under 80% free.  As a gamer, anything under 85%
required a reboot or thing started getting slow.  And it's only been a
couple hours!  ;-)  But I'm just a BS'ing Linux asshole, what do I know?

--
Chuck Kandler

Registered Linux User #180746
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:02:04 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> him for
> pop an
> classic
> loaded
> > >

> > > I'm getting old and soft (except for soccer time!), so I'm more into
> > > new agey type music, preferably lots of rhythm'n'percussion, for coding.
> > > I don't listen to Devo much anymore, though they are one of my
> > > favorites.  Smart patrol!  No where to go!  Suburban robots that monitor
> > > reality!  Common stock!  We work around the clock!  We shove the poles
> > > in the holes!  Shove it!
> >
> > I prefer 1960-70s Soul, Fuck (with the extremely heavy bass), Electric
> > Light Orchestra, The Eagles, Little River Band, Barry White, Issac Hayes
> > (the guy who sang the theme to Shaft), Beatles, Queen and lots of other
> > "classics".  I cannot stand the modern day five boy/girl, talent less,
> > commercially driven groups that would not be able to play and instrument
> > to save themselves groups, and for the record, I play the piano, so I do
> > have knowledge in the area of playing instruments.
>
> I like your set list!
>
> One of the reasons I get nostalgic for VH is the boy/girl band thing.
> Remember the late seventies? Disco and a lot of the teen idol garbage. And,
> out of nowhere, you tuned in and heard Eruption/You Really Got Me! It was
> like they were playing taps for KC and the Sunshine Band and the Osmonds.
> Loved it! I play a little guitar too so the VH connection was a given.

I preferred the punk/alternative scene myself.

Metal bands just seem...over reactionary.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:06:22 -0600

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Of course, for greater realism, you can write it as a service and
install
> > > it as an administrator.  You can intercept the the Ctrl-Alt-Del
sequence
> > > using the Win32 API.
> >
> > You can't intercetp C-A-D in a user mode program.  And again, installing
it
> > as a service requires administrator privs.
>
> Well, I believed my answer was within the bounds of your
> original assertion.  Those bounds, as I can see by reading
> the thread, are contracting.

No, My original statement is still quite true.  To login to NT, you press
C-A-D first to bring up the login prompt.  In Linux, when not logged in, it
just sits at a Login prompt.

> In any case, you originally were talking about a password-capture
> program.  The default ctrl-alt-del calls up a task window with
> 6 choices.  Anyone with admin priviledges (which, by the way,
> can be obtained using a null session), can install trojan versions of
> the system executables that are used, I would ass|u|me.  Ever hear
> of root kits?

If someone has root, nothing on the system can be trusted.  We're talking
about a secure installation where one user can steal someone elses passwords
just by emulating a Login prompt.  You can't do that in NT without leaving
very obvious signs.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:07:34 -0600

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:I0tX5.5092$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:EQlX5.5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:iKaX5.683$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:PS0X5.1752$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:04:27 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 02:56:12 GMT, "scatterman"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Even the best W9X version (the original with all the updates) could hardly
> >run longer then a few days.
>
> Bull shit.
>
> I'm here to learn linux, but I've spent far more time running MS
> software.  I rarely reboot except when I install software, which means
> my system tends to run weeks and sometimes months at a time,
> running win98.
>
> My experience is that it isn't a problem.  You linux assholes who
> post pure lies like "Windows won't run more than a few days
> at a time" are full of shit.  You are sitting there with your head

Most of use are IT professionals who live daily listening
to the pissing and moaning of Windows admins and their
constant rat-race of rebooting and re-installing and
reformating ...

> stuck under the ground, trying to tell people what the world is
> like.  Those of us who aren't hiding can look and see that the
> world is nothing like you claim.
>
> --
> Stephen Whitis
> Email replies should go to...
> scw120198 (at) whitis.com
>
> The address in the header is not valid.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:08:18 -0600

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:I0tX5.5092$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:EQlX5.5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:iKaX5.683$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:PS0X5.1752$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> way
> that
> That's
> > > not
> > >
> > > Say what!?
> >
> > From the TCSEC orange book manual:
> >
> > "The TCB shall support a trusted communication path between
> >          itself and users for use when a positive TCB-to-user connection
> is
> >          required (e.g., login, change subject security level).
> >          Communications via this trusted path shall be activated
> exclusively
> >          by a user or the TCB and shall be logically isolated and
> > unmistakably
> >          distinguishable from other paths."
> >
> > In other words, you must have a way to login that you cannot simulate
with
> > user program.
> >
> > Under NT, a user program cannot capture C-A-D, thus any program (such as
> the
> > login) that does react to C-A-D can be reasonbly trusted to have been
> > installed by someone with administrator privs.
>
> I'm sure a little hacking would undo that. I was questioning the "That's
not
> possible" quote. The second I hear that statements like that  in regards
> security, I have to disregard them. There are skinny and dateless pencil
> necks out there who, i'm sure, can blow right by it. Never say never.

I said "not possible unless you have admin privs".  Which is true.  You need
to get admin privs in order to install a trojan that could do this.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (I R A Darth Aggie)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: 6 Dec 2000 18:02:51 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:01:28 -0800,
WorLord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

+ The machine I'm typing on (WinME) has been up since the 3rd of
+ November.

That's nice. My best current uptime is 75 days, but I've had some machines
go as long as 180 days.

+ Now, I'll grant you that it takes a lot of work and tweaking to get
+ Wind9x *that* stable; but it can be done.

And there's the rub. I did nothing special to get those machines running
that well...

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:17:39 -0500

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On 5 Dec 2000 23:42:45 GMT, Steve Mading
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Forget about any GUI based editors.  Vi is counter-intuitive when
> >presented in its natural environment.  It would be counter-intuitive
> >to any person who has had frequent exposure to a command prompt.  Your
> >average Unix user is an example of this.
>
> Well I'm not an average anything.  I have frequent exposure to the
> command prompt [95% of the time probably].  I use the vi
> commands for command line editing in ksh.  I just don't like to
> move my hands off the keyboard. I'm LAZY.

That's what computers are for--facilitating laziness.

Industrious people always make lousy computer administrators...
because they will happily do laborious tasks which should be
scripted.

> --
> Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:19:49 -0500

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> In article <E2oX5.15014$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I would disagree strongly.  Using the typewriter keys (like hjkl) is
> >> much, much faster than losing the home-row placement of your fingers
> >> to go hit the arrow keys, or the 'ins/home/end.etc...' keys, or to
> >> move the mouse.
>
> >Except that while you're typing, if you want to go back and correct an
> >error, you first have to get out of insert mode by finding that escape
> >key, which isn't on the home row, and then you have to get back into
> >insert mode with the i key, which also isn't on the home row.
>
> I've used keyboards where the Escape key was next to the 1.  Those
> were quick.  It is reach to the Esc with it's typical replacement.
> But the 'i' is directly above the 'k'.  If the requirement is to
> keep your fingers on the home row then we'd have a very small
> alphabet. You are assuming I'll always hit 'i' after I type
> xp, or x, or some other key.  Often I'll type 'a' which is on the
> home row. :-)
>
> >> Although it is different than other editors, it's the feature that
> >> makes it very fast.
>
> >Not to me.  Given the option, I find myself running off to use BRIEF
> >or some editor with BRIEF key bindings.
>
> Well when I learned vi, you had your choice of vi or ed in the
> disribution.  If you wanted to import some other editor like emacs,
> you'd have to build it yourself.  On Unix systems with 256K that
> was pretty big.  vi on this system is a bit over 256K.  The first
> vi I used was quite small, but then the kernels were in the 70K
> range too.
>
> >> I realize that this was not due to some major plan or anything - it
> >> was an accidental side effect of the lack of those special keys back
> >> in the days when vi was being first developed.  But it's a GOOD side
> >> effect.
>
> >Making it a screen editor was much more valuable to me than the choice
> >of keys to use for cursor movement.
>
> Correct.  But you didn't have a lot of choices for cursor movement
> in 'the olden dayze'.  I just pulled a genyoowine digital VT101
> manaul from the shelf yesterday = printed in 1981.  It really makes
> me appreciate what we have today. [entire messsage - and for that
> fact all my usenet stuff - composed in vi - in character mode - on
> an 80x24 display].  You can speed read those. :-)

Did you ever run /usr/ucb/window  ?

mutltiple text windows on ascii screens.

> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:25:50 -0600

"Uncle Fester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Odds are, you're under 80% free.  As a gamer, anything under 85%
> required a reboot or thing started getting slow.  And it's only been a
> couple hours!  ;-)  But I'm just a BS'ing Linux asshole, what do I know?

That's complete bullshit.  You don't even know what that figure means.

Hint:  Resources are not what you think they are.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:20:19 +0200

"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:43:06 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >Ctrl+S - Save
>
> Nope.
>
> >Ctrl+N - New
>
> Nope.
>
> >Ctrl+O - Open
>
> Nope.
>
> >Ctrl+P - Print
>
> Nope.
>
> >Ctrl+F - Find
>
> Nope.
>
> >F3 - Find next
>
> Yes.
>
> >Ctrl+H - Replace
>
> Nope.
>
> >Ctrl+G - Go To
>
> Nope.
>
> >Ctrl+A - Select All
>
> Nope.
>
> >F5 - Enter Time & Date
>
> Yes.
>
> >Exactly 10 shortcuts key. :)
>
> 2.

You forgot to qoute this:
...there are[shortcut keys] in my notepad (win2000) there aren't on the 9x
notepad

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:23:34 GMT

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > him for
> > pop an
> > classic
Bunn
> > loaded

> > > I prefer 1960-70s Soul, Fuck (with the extremely heavy bass), Electric
> > > Light Orchestra, The Eagles, Little River Band, Barry White, Issac
Hayes
> > > (the guy who sang the theme to Shaft), Beatles, Queen and lots of
other
> > > "classics".  I cannot stand the modern day five boy/girl, talent less,
> > > commercially driven groups that would not be able to play and
instrument
> > > to save themselves groups, and for the record, I play the piano, so I
do
> > > have knowledge in the area of playing instruments.
> >
> > I like your set list!
> >
> > One of the reasons I get nostalgic for VH is the boy/girl band thing.
> > Remember the late seventies? Disco and a lot of the teen idol garbage.
And,
> > out of nowhere, you tuned in and heard Eruption/You Really Got Me! It
was
> > like they were playing taps for KC and the Sunshine Band and the
Osmonds.
> > Loved it! I play a little guitar too so the VH connection was a given.
>
> I preferred the punk/alternative scene myself.
>
> Metal bands just seem...over reactionary.

A lot of them were. Megadeth and Metallica come to mind. Oedepus complexes
meet ESP guitars.

As for the punk scene, DK and Butthole Sufers were pretty good. Jello
Biafra's side project, Lard, has its' moments too. Particularly with "Does
God fill teeth ?"

Alternative was refreshing since the hair bands had pretty much run their
course and became a sort of self parody.

Hell, I like late 60's / early 70's country too. My set lists make a lot of
people uneasy <g>